Old sweets, chocolates and snacks

3 hours ago, carni said:

'Penny Tray'.

Goodness me Carni that's a term I've not heard in over 57 years,going to the shop on the corner of Bunbury street/Bathley street,"can I look on the penny tray please mister" what a great reminder

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies,

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies, sweetshops and beer offs.

I've just remembered the thick receipt book that newsagents used when you paid the papers. It was a tiny little paper receipt with a number on it IIRC. And what about the newsagent marking up all the papers, comics and magazines in pencil ready for the paperboy?

In common with most grocers ours used to write down the prices in pencil on the brown paper sheets on the counter then add them up. He rarely made a mistake with his arithmetic. Our grocer wore a brown coat just like Arkwright in Open all Hours. That program always gets me especially the closing sequence when he takes stuff in as it gets dark at closing time. Magical memories.

• Upvote 3

I was familiar with the Russell Road/Stanley Road area in the late 60s/70s, Mess. The environs of the dreaded and dreadful Manning Approved School for young ladies who were not bright enough to fail their 11 plus exam! :wacko:

• Upvote 2

Oztalgian: Did you know that Cadbury's have brought out their version of Fry's Tiffin?

• Upvote 1

Of course, there was always the other game you could play with 'Sherbet Fountains'. You suck the sherbet into the licourice stick and creep up on an unsuspecting friend; tap them on the shoulder and then blow. Detty Gel. :biggrin: 

PS. Just remembered, you had to be quick, before the licourice got all wet and the sherbet just bubbled and frothed out the end.Haha. ;)

• Upvote 1

Funny carni I remember it well. I would never do that with my sherbet they were

so precious I loved them, still do but I do remember tipping it into my mouth

choking and spraying it over the next person to me by accident.:dry:

• Upvote 2
On June 21, 2017 at 0:51 AM, FLY2 said:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps it's the consistency of the ingredients, again maybe due to EU interference, or the inferior quality of Fair Trade produce. Let's face it, the majority is crap ! 

On the cake front, the chocolate on cream puffs or 'Elephants Feet' has definitely deteriorated, as has the chocolate on top of eclairs. It's more like a soggy icing sugar these days.  

Lets return to our proper snacks ! 

I'm gutted to hear this FLY, elephants feet were a rare luxury for us, it was a special treat for Mum to buy them. I always ate the bottom first by itself then turned it upside down and ate the chocolate glazed top and the cream together by taking big mouthfuls, the cream would always go up my nose, it was the best! And it was proper rich whipped cream too, none of this light stuff. 

They need to stop messing with our food, if I'm going to indulge I want the real monty. 

My favourites where, bonfire toffee (not the preformed sweets, the proper stuff, in shards) rhubarb & custards, sugar mice, mojos (spearmint - the best) fruit salads, the "cigarettes" (very un-PC now) the big Easter eggs (especially the Quality Street one) parma violets, drumsticks, Mr Freeze pops, sticks of rock from the seaside, sugar dummies, lemon sherbets, monster munch, frazzles, scampi crisps, 99s with a flake from the icecream man, cornettos, pepperoni sticks, prawn cocktail crisps, dip dabs, space dust (crackle - pop!) floral gums, jelly lager and beer bottles (again, not PC these days) pear drops, proper jelly babies, bubbly bubble gum (the pink hard stuff). Then there's school dinner deserts like jam roly poly, spotted dick, treacle pudding, cornflakes with golden syrup on a jam coated tart (don't know official name but was was good!)

How'd we keep our teeth? I used to buy a 1/4 a week, that was all my pocket money, that made a pound of sugar month I ate :crazy: 

To redeem myself, I don't remember eating sweets when I went to the city centre, I'd go to the Victoria market and buy a bag of white button mushrooms, loved them!

• Upvote 1

I love "genuine" bonfire toffee although I haven't seen it for ages. I've made it myself for a few years now on November 5th and it's always popular with the family. The edges are almost as sharp as glass which I guess is why it's no longer available.

I never took to Parma violets or floral gums but I enjoyed cherry lips which were also quite fragrant.

My wife always goes on about Bar Six. She says it was nicer than Kit Kat.

My personal favourite was Cadbury's Lucky Numbers a chocolate assortment a bit like Quality Street.

They didn't last long. I remember my cousins and I working our way through a tin at my uncle's one Christmas in the late 50s. Great memory.

• Upvote 2

Forgot about the cherry lips, those were good. I must look up your Wife's Bar Six, I haven't heard of it. Hmm, making bonfire toffee, now that's an idea *off to look up recipes* 

Bar Six was made by Cadbury's and was available in the early 1960s - don't know when they stopped making it (I assume they have).

It was like an imitation Kit Kat, but with the biscuits part transverse instead of lengthways (if that makes sense).

• Upvote 1

That was a short lived search, you're both right, they no longer make Bar Sixes. I missed out, sounded like a good one.

woody, are you talking about the gob stopper that had a tiny brown seed in the centre?

I remember the little seed in the middle of gobstoppers, although I haven't thought about that for well over 60 years - amazing that the memory was still lodged in a little  recess of my mind!  

I remember a gobstopper popping out my mouth and breaking in half on the pavement. You could see the cross section of coloured layers within. It could have been the start of a career studying the earth's crust lol

Before you ask, no I didn't put the halves back in my mouth.

Mention of aniseed brings us to my favourite sweet of all time; Black Jacks.

Who remembers the politically incorrect golly on the wax wrapper back in the 50s and 60s. It's now been removed of course.

They also did a Black Jack drink briefly. Couldn't compete with Pernod hic?

When I was a kid I used to like those machines where you put a penny in and see how many sweets you could 'win'  sometimes you got a tiny plastic toy.

I once won a tiny plastic replica camera ,which I for some reason put in my mouth and promptly swallowed it,I reckon it must still be inside me,no wonder I have a lot of belly ache.

• Upvote 1

Chanced upon this the other day in a museum. [Photograph taken with permission.] Rationing finished on 4th July 1954; I was not quite four years old at the time:

34826222794_76be3ebf42_h.jpg