Old sweets, chocolates and snacks

poohbear (#21), I used to visit that place in Huthwaite a few years ago when I was in the area. I'd forgotten all about it. I used to buy loads of stuff, including the Chocolate Limes and Peanut Brittle. They were supposed to last me a few weeks but they never did. You know how it is...lol

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies,

I lived in a flat above a dentist when I first moved to Bathurst, he was a huge bloke, lived up to his name, Mr Bull....

Very handy to get my teeth seen to.... All those sweets as a kid have left their mark on me...

My favourites were Pontefract Cakes, Flying Saucers and Midgets Gems but only the ones where the black midget gems were licquerice

I love Pontefract cakes when I can find them over there, last for ages as I have to spend a lot of time getting them out of my teeth, LOL. But love soft licorice.

Two hundred years ago the main growing area for licorice was round Ollerton/Clumber/Worksop.Then it was discovered that the soil in the Pontefract area was better for growing deep root crops...The processors set up near the crops so of course Notts lost out and Pontefract became the countries main licorice area.

Needless to say most now is imported from China.

:biggrin: As a kid, I spent most of my pocket money on sweets - they relieved the tedium of slogging over lessons at school. Even in the senior girls, I well remember the thrill of having a penny in my pocket at the end of a school day, calling in at the sweet shop on my way home and deciding whether it was going to be a huge penny chew, four smaller ones or an Arrow Bar - serious decisions back then! :biggrin:

Still can't resist the sugary delights occasionally: Wilko's do a bag of assorted toffees for 75pence; only trouble is they're so yummy, once I start eating them I can't stop - make a right pig of myself! :biggrin:

PS: I'd like to add that at the grand old age of 66, I've still got my own teeth.

I still have mine, and I'm nearly 66....Many are filled now though plus three crowns.

Hello, this is my first posting. I have enjoyed reading posts so decided to take the plunge and join - so here goes !!!

I remember aniseed balls as being on of my favourites my grandmother used to sing this rhyme to me whenever she bought me some.

Aniseed balls are best

They are good for your belly and chest

You don't get many for half a penny

But aniseed balls are best.

I seem to recall aniseed balls being just that , balls with a little aniseed in side them, or am I going (gone) potty ??

I remember them as a small dark red ball, the red came off after a few minutes of sucking. Got quite a few in a 1/4lb.

you can still buy aniseed ballsand very much as beefy and kath have desribed

Apparently can still get them.(from the `Oldest Sweet Shop in England'

Liquorice Root Sticks (Spanish)

The actual root of the Liquorice Plant! Famously used to make sweets, remedies and drinks!

.£1.50

for 5 sticks

Qty: Add to Cart ..Availability: In stock

I tode me mam, I gorra gerra baga Cherry Lips, and canna ay sum Black Jacks.... burra betta save sum money fa Chips 'n Batter Bits tonite bowdown

After which, I was sent immediately for 'elocution lessons' - so one might better ones self ........ unionflag:jumping: ...... so indeed, one did, and for her sins spent many years teaching the English Language madashell

I was recently asked to write a Poem, which had to be written as if I had just died :-( and was sending a message ..... this is what I wrote:-

Wither Spirit doth thou wander?

Through the Dales, and over Yonder

Passing through the hands of time

I know your Life, but do you know mine?

Measure fully at your leisure

That which brings pain, and that which brings pleasure

Then make the latter, and work it well

For there is no Heaven, and there ain’t no Hell.

My Spirit won’t fail me, it waits here for you

It’s heard of your coming, and knows you are due

It could be a lifetime, but sure I can wait

There’s no trodden Path, and no bolt on the Gate.

We’re all here together, as free as a Bird…BUT

You didn’t listen, and doubted my word

I gave you the chance, to believe in my fate

Don’t worry Dear Friend, it’s never too late.

I stick to my promise, this message I send

For there’s no beginning, nor is there an end

So look through that mirror, and what do you see?

Alas, just a Spirit, waiting to break free!

You are there on your Earth, not merely by chance

In a blink of an eye, your Spirit will dance - and

As free as a Bird, and as light as a Feather

Our Spirits will meet, and we’ll all dance together.

I’ll never be gone, but I’ll always be free

Whilst I wait for loved Spirits, to be here with me

For although Earthly pleasures, all too soon are gone

What waits here to greet you, just goes on and on…..

So please take your time, but when that time’s o’er

Don’t be afraid to knock on the door - and

Soon it will open, to receive once again - and

Should you be nervous - just mention my name!

If you don’t get this message, then wrong, I doth be

My Spirit won’t dance, and I won’t be free

Don’t bother to call me, cos I just couldn’t wait

I’ve entered Eternity, but I don’t know my fate…

Even so, I’m not frightened, well why should I be?

I always loved living, and being just Me….xx