• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photograph and painting of the period when the Leen ran past the Castle...which was still derelict. In the painting the 'Trip' can be seen to the right.

Nowhere near as green as it was in 1707...those gardens are where the Lace Market is now.On the far horizon the hills of Charnwood Forest.Sherwood Forest was North of the City.The view from your pictu

I think it is what we now know as the River Trent. The small church tower on the left of the picture is St Wilfrid's in Wilford viillage. The big, flat area between there and St Mary's is part of the

Nottingham has won the 'East Midlands in Bloom' title 19 times (most recently in 2012) and 'Britain in Bloom' four times, achieving Britain in Bloom 'Champion of Champions' in 2008. Nottingham is a beautiful City and will remain so if the Nottingham City Council stop pulling it all down.

I didn't really realise that there is so much greenery near to the city centre until I took this shot. (nnsc)

[]

How wonderful it must have been in the time of R Hood Esq. when the same view would have been endless forest.

Where did you take that pic from nnsc? Looks like you were in a helicopter!

Believe it or not, I took it from Porchester Road whilst standing on the pavement leaning against a fence, pity it wasn't a very clear day. By the way Michael look at my gender below my avatar. lol

Looking at that view reminded me that many moons ago we lived in a maisonette in Cherrywood Gardens at Thorneywood (Punchbowl was our local) .

There was a big picture window at the back of the maisonette , immediately above the old brickyard site where the car auctions were . On a really clear day with binocs , we used to be able to see planes going into land at East Midlands airport .

Katyjay, sorry I don't know the name . We were a bit cut off from all the bungalows on the main part of the road , as we were at the end of a little cul de sac in a block of 4 maisonettes . So didn't really get chance to mix with anyone else .

Don't remember her name but there was a teacher , who died in a fire in the adjoining maisonette not long after we moved out .

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember her name but there was a teacher , who died in a fire in the adjoining maisonette not long after we moved out .

Well that thread certainly ended on a cheery note.

I didn't really realise that there is so much greenery near to the city centre until I took this shot. (nnsc)

[]

How wonderful it must have been in the time of R Hood Esq. when the same view would have been endless forest.

Nowhere near as green as it was in 1707...those gardens are where the Lace Market is now.On the far horizon the hills of Charnwood Forest.Sherwood Forest was North of the City.The view from your picture would have been more of the Trent Valley and the hills of Gotham and Bunny.

l402.jpg

• Upvote 1

Poohbear, we have some serious real estate there!

Does your picture source (#16) give any indication as to who owned those buildings and gardens?

By the look of the larger of the two buildings, it would suggest some church order?

As for the nature of the gardens to the front of the cathedral like building, they resemble orchards or nurseries?

The mansion on the right is as equally imposing with its ornate gardens and landscaping out the front and, the gardens extend behind and also to the top right of the picture.

Thanks denshaw, I thought that as well but what put me off is the church? directly behind and then the spire of a church off to the right.

Very interesting picture. Is the church between St mary`s and the castle St Nicholas' Church, Nottingham ?

A church of St Nicholas was erected on the site of the present building in the eleventh or twelfth century. This building was destroyed after the English Civil War. The Royalists established themselves in the tower of the old church, and bombarded the garrison of the Castle. After the war, the governor of the castle, Colonel Hutchinson ordered the old church to be completely destroyed.

In 1678 a new church was erected which exists to today.

The church with the pointy steeple looks like St. Peters.

St Peter's is one of the three mediaeval parish churches in Nottingham, the others being St Mary's and St Nicholas'. The parish of St. James' Church, Standard Hill, founded in 1807 was united with St Peter's in 1933 and the official title "St Peter with St James" came into being. (St James's was demolished a few years later; some monuments from St James's are preserved in St Peter's.)

The church shows traces of many stages of construction from about 1180 onwards (the original church of around 1100 was destroyed by fire

Any suggestions on the name big main road on the left?

Any suggestions on the name big main road on the left?

I think it is what we now know as the River Trent.

The small church tower on the left of the picture is St Wilfrid's in Wilford viillage. The big, flat area between there and St Mary's is part of the Meadows and partly what is now Castle Marina area.

Cllcking on this link, you get a hi-res, zoomable map to help identify the various places. It's only about 40 years after poohbear's illustration http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1907/nottinghamstreets1.htm

• Upvote 1