Hi there,

My name is Alex and I work on the Channel 4 series, The Restoration Man. Presented by the architect George Clarke, the programme follows new owners as they restore, convert and breathe new life into interesting historic and vulnerable buildings in the UK. As well as offering practical advice, George looks into the history of each building, why they were built and how they’ve evolved over the years within the local community.

For our forthcoming series we are following the restoration of RAF Watnall underground bunker and are looking to find out as much information about the building and surrounding area from the time of its conception, to today. The bunker began its construction in 1938, but wasn't put into use until 1940, playing a key role in Britain’s war defenses

The bunker is about 15 miles from Nottingham, located near Kimberly and Nutnall.

We are trying to find out as much information about the bunker’s purpose, architecture, the people who worked there and the surrounding area.

Perhaps you worked there?

Perhaps you remember someone who worked there?

Or maybe you just remember it from when you were younger?

If you could be of any assistance in helping me gather information - or perhaps you could point me in the direction of a person, place or certain literature – then I would be very grateful.

I appreciate any help you can offer and I look forward to hearing from you.

RAF Watnall underground bunker at 140 Main Road, Watnall, NG16 1HA

Many thanks,

Best wishes

Alexandra Burke | Researcher | Restoration Man
Alexandraburke@tigeraspect.co.uk

Tel: 0208 222 4141

Tiger Aspect Productions

4th Floor | Shepherds Building Central | Charecroft Way | London W14 0EE

Hi Alex, That's a TV programme that we have followed, and as we've been to the site at Watnall ( as its just up the road from us ) this should prove interesting ( Tho I will admit we've been and looked at the plans and don't like them. )

piggy and i went on saturday to rolls royce merlin pagent a good afternoon or in our cast a couple of hours but very enjoyable air display and a good few clasic bikes and cars too they anounced at the end of the show that it was to be the last one site sold for housing they recon about 800 plus.sham another bit of history going

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

News that the old Filter Block of RAF Watnall is being converted to housing has caused me to dig out this photo I took of it in the 1960s with my Ilford Sportsman camera. It was taken from the railway bridge that passed over the site (of the old LMS station) that led to sidings. The Filter block can be seen with its vegetation-covered sloping roof, looking towards the main road. Because the camera did not have a wide-angle lens I had to take three pictures and montage them. The only photo I have seen of the station in its heyday is one showing  Sir Lancelot Rolleston of Watnall Hall waiting on the platform. The line was a spur from the LMS line from Nottm to Bulwell and passed over the Cinder Hill road on a stone abutment bridge, round the back of Sankeys, through Nuthall, then Watnall, then Kimberly and on through the arches of the LNER viaduct at Awsworth to Ilkeston. In the photo the trackbed is covered with vegetation, hiding the short tunnel under the main road,

Watnall%201_zpse5trsumk.jpg

This map and description of the main camp at RAF Watnall comes from an issue of the After the Battle magazine. The Filter Block is not shown but is below the bottom right-hand corner. 

Watnall%202_zpsz7exyga9.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Hi there restoman my father built the garage at Watnall at the side of Common Lane,in the early 60s we went down to the bunker and welded up the doors to stop vandals from getting in.My wifes cousins husband was actually stationed there in the 50s we went down the bunker when it belonged to the Kimberley rifle club,Gerry is now living in Matlock and has some great memories of what it was like in the bunker

5 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi there restoman 

It's great to see this old thread revived, but I doubt if restoman will see this comment. She was promoting a TV programme in 2013, only ever made that one post and has never been back again since.

Hi Cliff Ton thanks for letting me know about restoman if you are in the Watnall area please check the bunker out and let me know, if i get back to Notts i will check the area out.By the way i have been down the bunker and saw the old plotting room and table and toilets anthe doors where the trains dropped supplies off on the spur line attached to the main LNER line down in the cutting just before the Watnall Kimberley tunnel.Thanks again Ian Canada.

Around 1964 my friend and myself (who was in fact the late nottstalgia member - Firbeck) managed to access the filter block through the vent shaft, and no it was not us who nicked the metal. Realising where we were, we got out very quickly. The next time I visited the site was in 1984 with my children just before the surface barracks were demolished. Everything in the old cutting had changed. I still like to explore disused railways but I am careful where I go these days

• Like 1

Ayup Plantfit. Doing OK but still getting old. This was brought home to me last year when my grand-daughter sprogged us a great grandson. His name is Carson and is 15 months old. He's a proper little livewire and wears us all out very quickly. Very proud to say that his first words were "Gandag".  

I retired last year but seem to have even less time to do anything.

• Like 1

pleased you are doing well, I too miss Pete and his postings,keep your memories coming on here,take care

Rog