Petetobin

Nightclubs in the early 80's

Can someone help me work out the various nightclubs in the city centre in the early 80's. So far I think I have got:

Tiffany's/Zhivago's under Vicky Centre

Palais/Ritzy's

Isabella's/New York New New York Goldsmith Street

I know there were a couple more on Wollaton Street and my misses reckons there was one on Victoria Street as well.

Help please.

Pete

I think by Macy's you mean Madison's. I thought that this went on to be Liberty's and that the club across the road was Penelope's which became Arabella's?

Penny farthing club became scamps and then libertys.....Madison's became Macy's like the one at the Bowling alley near showcase.

Arabellas was in what is now "The Ramada Inn"

Anabels was under "The Malt House" now known (If it's still there) as "The Pit and Pendulum" at the top of Victoria Street

Now don't forget "The Arriba" on Bottle Lane, The Garage up in the Lace Market, Hippos (Although I've no idea where that was, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you )... slywink

Pieces on St James Street,

Food for thought became "Chaplins" it was on Hurts Yard, but that didn't open till the late 80s.

is TOTM now Rock City?

There may have been other incarnations too. I just remember it becoming Chaplins (I worked there for a while) and can remember it being Food for thought when I used to deliver there in the early 80s

Was Templers Wine Bar ever a club?

How could we forget Babel?

Hello Paulus, Do you mean 'Heart of the Midlands'?

Became Rock City.

What about the one down Lower Parliament street, Toppers ? It wasn't a million miles away from here :-

9059133938_f1ea31f81b_o.jpg

Hello Paulus, Do you mean 'Heart of the Midlands'?

Became Rock City.

YES !!

Thanks both of you...............no need to shout!!!

Was Pieces where the Cookie Club now is?

I think it's called The New Arriba now. It's certainly owned by Alan and Margret of the old Arriba fame

I went there a few times but more like around 1970/71. My friend's dad was regularly drinking in there so we'd just call in and he'd buy our drinks! Could never quite figure that place out ........ Did it have a reputation?!!!!!

The only time I went there was with the landlord of my local, he called it "The place where all the riff raff hang out"

Now don't forget "The Arriba" on Bottle Lane, The Garage up in the Lace Market, Hippos (Although I've no idea where that was, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you )... slywink

Hippos....Bridlesmith Gate....near The Fountain pub.

Whatever happened to the Arriba Club Carpet?

Am I correct in thinking that in those days pubs used to close at 10.30/11.00 pm and nightclubs used to close at 2.00 am?

When we lived up near Alfreton, my brother used to go with his mates to the Aquarius in Chesterfield and the Fiesta in Sheffield.

They didn't used to set off till after the pubs closed and I used to think: What a long way to go for just a couple of hours!

But given that those places had some of the biggest names in the business on, I suppose that made it worthwhile.