• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#50 VWGolf It's a sad fact that far too many members of the teaching profession believe dyslexia is an excuse for laziness. We had an uphill battle with teachers when our youngest son was at infants

Spell Checker! We like our Bab's how she is Thank you. Those who have met her know she is a lovely lady. And she's more than a match for those here. I was of a mind to remove those remarks, but ha

My brother and I both passed our 11plus with myself at a higher mark. However, my brother had a photographic memory which is useful when it comes to passing exams. I was a lazy sod at grammar school

Perhaps a Grammar School education would have helped your dreadful spelling and grammatical errors. There is no excuse for it, you have a caps lock and spell check on your computer, use the bloody thing and don't be so lazy, I find your postings so pathetically put together I can't be bothered to take them seriously or even bother to read them anymore.

Perhaps you should put 'Your own hard work and asperations!!' into writing readable responses. Everyone else tries their best and we all make grammatical mistakes, but when you have a system that can correct everything for you, there is no excuse, think before you post, it's not hard!

Bilbraborn, as long as the country is ruled by a gang of Etonian privileged gits with their distant views of education relating to the 'Common Man' that they can't possibly understand, things will never change.

Our local school Tabor has now been made into a so called 'Academy', another get out clause by Cameron and his cronies. I'm a good friend of the head of technology there who despairs of what is going on, why, because the committee who run this school are closet Mormons and are secretly filling the kids education up with their Salt Lake City ideals, while trying to get rid of poor Bryan, who, despite his successful 30 years at the school, they see as a threat. They are about to have an OFSTED inspection and hopefully the sh1t will hit the fan if Bryan has anything to do with it.

Babs is dyslexic, I think you owe her an apology.

• Upvote 3

A little tolerance goes a long way.

Yes, an apology is in order.

Seems to this old dog that what we are facing in the Western world is a deliberate dumbing down of our respective populations. Easier to control that way. Our universities often have to waste a year or so teaching these kids what they should have learned in school. They go home to the mindless drivel on the idiot box, probably followed by computer games. Critical thinking is not encouraged. Plenty of pliable robots to fulfill the demands of the elite. Sad end to great potential.

Sorry, but how was I supposed to know this, nobody had informed me, am I supposed to have a natural instinct to detect this then. I see the knives from certain people are out.

I have several friends with dyslexia, they seem to concentrate and be able to use the appropriate buttons on a computer, the same as Steven Speilberg, Tom Cruise, Richard Branson etc etc etc.

My sons best friend Ed was really bad, he eventually went to Stowe public school and when they changed him into a Cameron Clone, he seemed to be getting on fine.

Tolerance, bollocks!

"I have several friends with dyslexia, it' does'nt bother me, A lot of my friends are black but I'm not racist, a lot of my friends are gay but it does'nt bother me" we,ve heard all this crap before, stop biting people Pete, you have a lot of interesting things to say in your posts which make for good reading, please don't start a war with folk just because you don't like the way they express themselves or are not as bright as you, keep posting the interesting stuff

Rog

Not taking sides here, but spell check does help.

Tolerance, bollocks!

Thanks for the confirmation.

Same here Commo, but it was already functional when I bought my I Pad. I bought "An Idiots Guide to I Pad",but I looked at it once and threw it on top of the wardrobe .

I swear by the "Idiots" and "Dummies" books, I've a collection of them now ranging from my camera's model, through computer ones, helped me to work things out..

Re Dyslexia. My youngest son is Dyslexic. So what? He never let it bother him and like most dyslexics he just developed a strategy for dealing with it. Interestingly, I have had a lifelong struggle telling left from right. I have only found out recently that it is a mild form of dyslexia.

From what I gather, there are many forms of dyslexia...Some so mild the sufferer hardly notices any problem, others causes the person to have alls orts of recognition problems.

Spell Checker!

We like our Bab's how she is Thank you.

Those who have met her know she is a lovely lady.

And she's more than a match for those here.

I was of a mind to remove those remarks, but have not after seeing the responses.

Do not judge those you do not know, nor have met.

• Upvote 6

I concur...

What's to worry about? I look at it this way. I can't have everything. I can't be drop dead gorgeous AND brilliant at spelling as well. LOL.

• Upvote 2

Wotchitt!!. But seriously, back to the old grammar school business. Grammar schools were at their most successful after the war when people actually encouraged their kids to do well. The country needed getting back together again and it was recognized that some of the cleverest kids were brought up in the poorest of homes. Before the war, when kids started work at 14, that extra wage packet was vital. My mum and her sister and two brothers all passed to go to grammar school. Trouble was that the money was more important. Only my uncle went to grammar school and he ended up as a draughtsman. That is why parents like my mum snapped up the chance of giving their kids a decent education. That is why, when kids misbehaved at school, most parents were behind the teachers in disciplining the kids. Also, parents (yes parents - most single parent families in the 50s and 60s were war widows) took complete responsibility for their children's behaviour and also brought those children up to take full responsibility for their own (the kids) actions as well. Sadly, it seems that in too many cases,everyone else bar the child or its parents have to take responsibility for what they got up to. Myself and Firbeck were often up to some right pranks, but at school we had a healthy fear of authority in the form of the teachers. We respected the police and other grownups as well even if we didn't always show it. If I got a clout off one of the teachers, I wouldn't have dared tell my mum.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

I passedmy 11 plus at Greencroft (thanks to Mr Richards, Mr Bailey and my parents) and got a scholarship to Nottingham Girls' High School. I was also offered a place at Clifton Hall and was able to persuade my parents to let me go there instead. One of the best decisions ever, though I doubt we girls realised how lucky we were to go there at the time.

In the 1970s, I paid for my son to go to prep school and later High school so that he could have an education like I had. During that period, state education deteriorated to the extent where they were allowed to pick things up through play and other equally stupid ideas. I'm pleased to say it was worth every penny and he's turned into a successful, kind and popular man. Private education doesn't mean turning someone into a snob. It also had the advantage of teaching him to speak properly and have a thorough understanding of the Queen's English. And an understanding of his responsibilities as well as his privileges.

For the last ten years of my working life, I taught IT in People's and New College. Sometimes I taught beginners and it never failed to amaze me how many students claimed to be dyslexic. A large proportion of those were, I'm my experience, never taught to spell and speak and write properly, or in some cases, just too idle to learn. I am not putting down people who are genuinely dyslexic, but there are fewer of them than you would be lead to believe.

It also surprised me how many of the teenage students I had to teach basic maths, such as long division and mutiplication, before I could get them to understand the basics of using spreadsheets.

In some ways, the bad old days weren't all bad, were they?

• Upvote 3