• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My claim to fame is, I once parked my battered old Ford Anglia outside the Council house. My son had been invited to tea with the Lady Mayoress. We had two disabled badges for our two sons. A police s

Well that was a first for me today. My Mum was taken to QMC on Saturday while I was "dahn saff", so on the way home yesterday I called at her house, picked up papers, cancelled milk and got her a goo

Quick @carni there’s a space bang on the front  

Am I imagining it or was there a car park down Canal Street, before Broadmarsh bus station was built, on the ground where the Crown Court now stands ?

Yes there was. I used it many times before the Crown Court was built.

Can't find the open-air car park, but this is just after it disappeared. The Crown Court being built in 1978.

canalnew.jpg

And the building on the left is the one which was demolished to leave an empty space for a car park

canalold-1.jpg

From the vehicles in photo 2, early 50s?

So the car park was possibly only there 20-30 years?

Was it just land or multi storey?

• 8 months later...

Well that was a first for me today.

My Mum was taken to QMC on Saturday while I was "dahn saff", so on the way home yesterday I called at her house, picked up papers, cancelled milk and got her a goody bag together, ready for visiting today. I was a bit worried as I know what a nightmare parking at QMC is. So Brainwave........I'll check out the park and ride!

What a blessing!! I hadn't realised that the City Council ran a Medilink from Queens Drive P&R to both QMC and City Hospital, until I googled Park and Ride. They run every 10 minutes and it is free!!!!!

It was brilliant. Free parking cos I used the Medilink. Hassle free trip to the QMC and back and easy escape from Nottingham up the A52. I daresay I'm the only Nottstalgian who didn't know about this service, but just in case I'm not, it's out there folks and it was a godsend.

Thank you Medilink! :clapping:

• Upvote 3

Well that was a first for me today.

My Mum was taken to QMC on Saturday while I was "dahn saff", so on the way home yesterday I called at her house, picked up papers, cancelled milk and got her a goody bag together, ready for visiting today. I was a bit worried as I know what a nightmare parking at QMC is. So Brainwave........I'll check out the park and ride!

What a blessing!! I hadn't realised that the City Council ran a Medilink from Queens Drive P&R to both QMC and City Hospital, until I googled Park and Ride. They run every 10 minutes and it is free!!!!!

It was brilliant. Free parking cos I used the Medilink. Hassle free trip to the QMC and back and easy escape from Nottingham up the A52. I daresay I'm the only Nottstalgian who didn't know about this service, but just in case I'm not, it's out there folks and it was a godsend.

Thank you Medilink! :clapping:

Yes, good service paid for by the Rip-Off hospital car parking fees !

I know a chap who drove for Medilink until a month ago. He lost his license because of heart trouble.

I KNOW a bloke who lost his for the same reason recently, is now climbing the wall through boredom !

I've used Medilink a few times and it's the only way to go to QMC. I wouldn't dream of trying to park there. The cost is irrelevant; there simply isn't enough space on the site to park all the cars who want to go there. They'd have to tarmac over all of Dunkirk and most of Lenton to make a car park big enough to accomodate everyone who goes to QMC in an average day.

• Upvote 1

It is only a quid to park in the Rose and crown pub on derby road for 3 hours, refunded if you make a purchase, not as cheap as the medilink but not bad.

Well worth knowing ! Thanks Ray !

The Medilink service sounds really good, I've never used it but I agree that parking is a nightmare at QMC. When we were visiting my Dad in hospital every day for 10 days last year we did manage to park in a car park that was something to do with Bell Fruit, just down Leen Gate, and it was cheaper than the hospital car park. We've been to the Treatment Centre a few times and had no problem parking there in the car park underneath the building. However, I used to have to take my Dad for a scan in the main building, every 6 months for several years. I had to get my husband involved in this too as I needed to get Dad into a hospital wheelchair at the main door and was unable to park the car at the front there, with the hi viz guys moving people on all the time. Medilink is fine for people who can walk but for those physically disabled I can't see how it's a benefit.

Mum is suffering with swollen legs, which they are investigating. It's been ongoing for a year or more now, making mobility a big issue for her. She is fine in herself, especially when I turned up with chocolate orange, Maryland cookies, bananas and Shredded Wheat!! and hopefully she will be home again soon.

Lizzie, if you have your own wheelchair, the medilink bus can accommodate one, so could be a possibility for the disabled. It takes you to several points on the campus including the main entrance.