Agree that Medilink is only suitable for people who have reasonable mobility; if you have any disability or just very old and frail, it may not be suitable.

Bear in mind that it is also used by people who work at QMC and City, and medical students travelling from one site to the other, so at certain times of day it can be difficult to get on the thing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My claim to fame is, I once parked my battered old Ford Anglia outside the Council house. My son had been invited to tea with the Lady Mayoress. We had two disabled badges for our two sons. A police s

Well that was a first for me today. My Mum was taken to QMC on Saturday while I was "dahn saff", so on the way home yesterday I called at her house, picked up papers, cancelled milk and got her a goo

Quick @carni there’s a space bang on the front  

Darkazana, thanks for that info but of no use to us now as my dear old Dad passed away, in QMC, last April. He used a trolley thing around the house and never left his house except for these scan appointments for the last year of his life. He would not entertain having a wheelchair, a very stubborn and proud old man. The hospital wheelchairs were/are horrible contraptions with minds of their own but they did the job when we needed them, every six months! I hope your Mum gets out of there soon, makes hard work for the whole family doesn't it? At least we're only 15 minutes from QMC.

Lizzie, sorry to hear about your Dad, I lost my dad too last April (on my younger brothers birthday) He had just come out of the City and died the next day....not very inspiring is it?

I bought Mum a wheelchair, though she didn't want "one of those things" We use it when I take her shopping to the supermarket (better than the ones they provide) and clip the wheelie thing onto it. Mum is accepting now that it is her better option at times, and does help her get out and about. Took her to Macarthur Glen a couple of weeks ago. (Before the wheelchair she would only go to Matalan as she could cling to one of their trollies, but even that was getting too hard for her.) We had a nice day out with lunch at Thorntons, so it has given her a better chance at getting out and about. Mum can be very stubborn about things too, but I am her daughter and can give her a good run for her money and have found that if I present her with a fait accomplit she seems quite happy.

Yes QMC is hard work, Kings Mill is easier for us, but that was where the ambulance took her, and for me the Medilink was the business, and was full but with visitors, I expect it depends what time you use it, Cliff Ton, and it runs every ten minutes, and during the busy periods they even put a double decker on, it seems...well they did today when I left the hospital at 5.00, it was nowhere near full.

I use the treatment centre regularly. Sometimes I have my appointment straight from work which gives me little time for anything other than driving straight there. Fortunately they have a maximum charge for patients but it is still too much for me. I have an appointment today and have plenty of time to spare so as I come from Mansfield, I will use park & Ride, get off at Wilkinson Street and use the medilink straight to the Treatment Centre. All free as I have a pensioner's bus pass. Sadly, it is a waste of time trying to park at Hucknall as it is always full. Moorbridge is better. As for the medilink. It is very busy when I use it.

I have now come to terms with them taking away my licence - as I could no longer afford a car anyway, and a good little walk regularly (they tell me) is good fer keeping me new ticker goin'.

I often see folk queueing and going around and around at the QMC on me weekly visits fer me NRI tests - and recall how this used to frustrate me so when I had transport - so I do feel sorry for those drivers and passengers.

So. if any of you see me hobbling into the QMC (usually on a Tuesday), I carry some nibbles with me fer the nurses, so stop me and get one to eat while yer tryin' to find somewhere to park!

How do you recognise me? Well, 5'2", overweight and a bit wobbly, sometimes with a walking stick, a sour bespectacled round face, hearing aids, bald, hobbling a bit, and limping on bow legs and arthritic knees... oh and often to be found muttering to missen!

Take care all.

Mine has been saying that about about me for ages. He's mild compared to me some times.

• Upvote 1

i hear alot of complaints ref parking at our 2 main hospitals,i can only speak as i find,the wife and i had 3 hospital appointments yesterday,we arrived at Queens 1-30 parked easily seen straight away and left at 1-55 parking was free.then to City hospital,arrived 2-45 parked easily we both had our appoinments and left at 4pm,had a pass for parking.

The staff and service was 1st class,what we thought was going to be a day of frustrations turned out to be almost pleasant.

#59 Bilboro-Lad That's why I use the Medilink from the Park and Ride, that I mentioned in this thread last week

• 7 years later...

What an old phto i can just remember when our bus's went that way.

Parking in front of the Council House. It reminds me of the occasions when the local council bigwigs would meet there. There was the Lord Mayor and Sheriff's matching pair of African-dictator style Phantom Vs (NTV1 and NTV2) and then the motley collection of modest saloons that were the lot of the Chairman of the County Council and various UDCs and RDCs.

It was all down hill from there on - the Lord Mayor and Sheriff now have to make do with a couple of Mondeos dressed up as Jags and a bus pass.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, bamber said:

It was all down hill from there on - the Lord Mayor and Sheriff now have to make do with a couple of Mondeos dressed up as Jags and a bus pass.

The next move will be to get them attending functions on the electric scooters which are cluttering up the streets everywhere.

• Like 1

My claim to fame is, I once parked my battered old Ford Anglia outside the Council house. My son had been invited to tea with the Lady Mayoress. We had two disabled badges for our two sons. A police sergeant told me to park in front of the left side lion.

The invitation letter, addressed to Andrew said, 'If you wish to bring your parents, you may do so'. (He was about 10 at the time).

• Like 4

The Lord Mayor's Roller has been restored and was up for sale:

Phantom V

According to the  insurance database NTV1 is now allocated to a Ford Focus. Either the city sold the plate or the Lord Mayor(ess) now has to slum it in a hatchback. The decline in the civic wheels matches the decline in the city :-(