When was Clifton Bridge started?

I can remember some work about the time I left School C1968, but I think this might have been widening?

Also was there some controversy over the height of the slip road for the south Embankment?

The first Clifton Bridge opened for business in 1958. These photos are dated 1957.

bridge1-1.jpg

bridge2-1.jpg

That was a single lane of traffic each way - with a cycle track and footpath. The system which exists today was built in the early 1970s. The original bridge is the one which now has two lanes going south-to-north. Everything else, including all the flyovers and the four-lane bridge, came with the second phase.

Before Clifton Bridge was built they could only use low-headroom buses to Clifton because of the Great Central railway bridge on Wilford Lane. And the bridge figured on the badge of my old school, Fairham.

Around 1970 I went a couple of times to a really big BBQ organised by Notts Casuals RFC that was held in a field under the Clifton Bridge. I honestly can't remember that much about it but they had live bands playing. Maybe it was somewhere near where Sat Bains restaurant is situated now. It must have been difficult to get to but a few of us went there in a really ancient black Rover that one of our friends owned, with the indicators that pop up but these ones didn't and we had to use hand signals, we certainly lived dangerously!

And when they finally come to knock 'em down there's going to be quite a few mystery disappearances solved (Allegedly)

• 3 weeks later...

One school holidays when we were bored (therefore pre-1966), they had a traffic counter on the older part of the bridge and we spent a whole afternoon jumping up and down on the cable that crossed the road, to make the numbers go up!

• 4 months later...

Remember there were some major issues with the timing. Had some rellies who moved to the new Clifton Estate years before the completion of the bridge. To get into the city they had to go via West Bridgeford, using a very slow country bus. It would take a full day to go shopping, and there were very shops on the Estate at the time.

Some residents discovered that if they got off the bus in Wilford and walked across the 'appeny bridge they could then catch a bus from the Cremorne up Wilford Road. Knocking hours off the trip. This would have been in the mid-fifties.

Building the bridge messed up my regular rambles. Used to cross the 'appeny bridge then through the church yard and along the river bank via Fareham Brook to Clifton. They fenced off the river bank where they were building, and I couldn't get under or over the road to continue my walks.

PIGGY SAYS WHEN THEY WERE BUILDING THE BRIDGE BEFORE THEY PUT MIDDLE BIT IN THEY USED TO CRAWL UP THE HOLES IN THE BRIDGE FROM LENTON LANE SIDE ANY OTHER MAD BUGGERS OUT THERE AND HANG OUT OVER THE RIVER

• 2 years later...