We are coming to Notts for a family get together and are going to eat at The Old Spot at Daybrook on 6/7 july (not sure which) has any one had a meal there,i would like your opinions.And has any one any other tried places to suggest,I have no idea which pubs are still around.I even thought The Old Spot had gone until we had this invitation.Any recommendations would be appreciated for the future MiDucks.

Last time i was there I had a cheese and onion cob - but that was 25yrs ago!

Seriously, my sister had her wedding reception there but I expect it has changed since the late 70s.

I've never eaten there Carni but seen the banner outside and it looks like it's inexpensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good value. I think it's a carvery and we don't go to those places because my husband would eat too much! One way of finding out though so let us know.

There are many places to dine in Nottingham but it depends on what you are looking for. You can go to a place that is very cheap but the food and service is going to be different from a more expensive place. My brother and I used to go to all the pubs in Arnold, Daybrook, Gedling etc but that was in the sixties so I have no idea what they are like today. Well, a lot of them have been demolished. I'm sure that you'll all enjoy your family get-together, carni.

LizzieM #4 i will let you all know what we think of the Old Spot and i know what you mean about the temptation to pile the plate up at carvery's i have learned my lesson,i always think the dinner seems so much bigger once you put the gravy on,but its to late then.

denshaw #5 We will check the Fayre and Square out for the £5 off.

Thanks everyone for your help and any more suggestions all welcome.

denshaw #5

Thanks Den

Have registered and received fiver toward F&S, but it wont be P&L :)

Anyone use any other F&S's can recomend a good one?

The Tree Tops on Mapperly plains always used to have a good retaurant. I wonder if it still does?

The Tree Tops on Mapperly plains always used to have a good retaurant. I wonder if it still does?

A bit of a curate's egg. Both the Tree Tops and the Old Spot are both sometimes OK, but can be awful.

A bit of a curate's egg. Both the Tree Tops and the Old Spot are both sometimes OK, but can be awful.

And to add to my rather rushed reply (thanks, work!), having tried them all, I'd say that the Ram and the Wagon & Horses, both a bit further out towards Redhill, have better menus.

http://www.pubpeople.com/waggon-and-horses

http://www.sizzlingpubs.co.uk/theraminnnottingham/

I would second Rob's opinion. The Spot may be O.K., but it is somewhat of a chain restaurant/pub - and their beer selection is all keg stuff. A pity 'cause it actually is a nice place inside.

The Wagon & Horses at Redhill has decent food (or it did last time I tried it) at a VERY fair price and decent beer too!

the ram seems to be getting popular again according to my sister who lives in arnold but not tried it myself sometimes go for a carvery at 7 mile house at burnstump ussually good but like most carverys it can be hit or miss toby inn on colwick rd also good whould recomend whitehart too but being change of manager and proberly staff too at the begining of july so dont know what will happen but it is good value for money

Any one know if any of the Gedling and Carlton pubs serve meals,the last time i went for a meal in Notts was the Windsor Castle on Carlton Hill, I am not sure if it is still there,or The Chesterfield Arms, Main Rd Gedling.

Any one know if any of the Gedling and Carlton pubs serve meals,the last time i went for a meal in Notts was the Windsor Castle on Carlton Hill, I am not sure if it is still there,or The Chesterfield Arms, Main Rd Gedling.

The Chesterfield is now the Gedling Inn, and does meals although I've never tried it.

Last I heard, the rebuilt Windsor Castle was due to be demolished to allow Tesco to expand their store.

You've awoken memories of going to the original Windsor Castle for a folk night - hours trapped in an upstairs room with people wearing chunky knitwear, beards and fingers in their ears....

I won't sleep tonight, now. :(

Hi Carni

I agree with Rob L the food has alway been excellent at both the Ram and the Wagon and Horses, Chungs on Mapperley Pains was always good whenever Ive been. If you fancy going a little further out of Arnold The Treetops and the Travellers rest also on Mapperley plains did good food

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to #1 ,We had our family get together yesterday at The Old Spot at Daybrook and it was very nice, there was 17 of us all together and we all had different meals,our food came within 30mins,and the young lady who served us was very pleasant,far to much food though,followed by warm choc fudge cake and icecream,I have to say i loved hearing all those fab Notts Accents all round me Miducks,It was good to be on home territory,

Marvellous Carni, so pleased you had a great family get-together and it's good to know that your meal was nice too. Pity you were stuck inside the Old Spot on such a beautiful day though! And you probably missed that Brit winning Wimbledon too, never mind it'll be replayed time and time again.