A Good Bit Of Advice

What in your life has been a good bit of advice that has stayed with you and influenced your actions and ideas for the good. I have many, but one particular one concerning driving has had a continued effect on me when ever i set off in the car,after i had passed my test and was taking my dad out for a first ride,i was so nervous and a bit jumpy and hesitant,i kept apologizing,and he said to me

Drive like you are the only sane bo***r on the road and all the rest are not,that way you are always prepared for the unexpected.

It pops in to my mind every day.

Have you any to share.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before talking about somebody else, consider (1) Is it true? (2) Is it kind? (3) Is it necessary to say it?

A rolling stone gathers no moss and (my Dads answer) A standing tree gets pissed on

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

My Mums advice was if someone is being cruel or rude or just deliberately unfriendly, was not to let them upset you,if you are sure you have done nothing wrong.

then it is probably just a case of the green eyed monster at his tricks.

• Upvote 1

If it's too good to be true....then it probably is .

• Upvote 1

You have a cough?

Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

• Upvote 2

Try the sweeties in the shop before buying.......ie don't commit to something before knowing more about it.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather … Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

• Upvote 1

One of the best pieces of advice I was given, was when I was working fo Greenpeace, that was.. Never join in an argument, untill you have real facts and figures and the correct ones.

Another thing they said was... Never judge someone by their looks, only judge them when you get to know them..

It is a piece of advice I still use.......

Melton reminded me of something I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) over here - never argue with a conspiracy theorist! When you quote facts to them, they claim all the "facts" are part of the conspiracy - you simply cannot win!

The recent thread on UFO's was a perfect example!

For any arrangements I have made, I was always advised by my parents.... Better to be 10 minutes early than 1 minute late, and all my life i have tried to keep to that,only ever being late if its out of my control.

Melton reminded me of something I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) over here - never argue with a conspiracy theorist! When you quote facts to them, they claim all the "facts" are part of the conspiracy - you simply cannot win!

The recent thread on UFO's was a perfect example!

Along similar lines, a quote from George Carlin: "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

All things in Moderation............me Grandad,...........wish i'd listened.

Always listen to the other persons point of view................me Grandad.............I do.

If in doubt don't...................tv driving campaign...........................always remember it when tempted to overtake.

Don't judge a book by its cover.......................afraid i tend to.

Don't bite off more than you can chew...............done it many times.

• Upvote 1

Yes on all counts, but still chase the rainbow!

• Upvote 1

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". I try to follow this advice from my Mum but I sometimes have trouble working out what 'nice' would be in each situation!

• Upvote 3