Now here's a coincidence, ISIS is in the news big time in Iraq, and causing our world leaders huge headaches, but did you know that Isis was also an ancient Egyptian Goddess?

She was worshipped as the ideal wife and mother and the patroness of nature and magic.

She was a friend of slaves, sinners and the downtrodden and the goddess of children.

The worship of Isis spread through the Greco-Roman world until the suppression of paganism in the Christian era.

Isis is associated with the sycamore tree, which was of specific significance in Egyptian religion and burial in a wooden coffin was viewed as a return to the womb of the mother goddess.

Trees are also quite an important part of paganism and as I have now come full circle with the Wheel Of The Year and in a couple of days we will once again be celebrating Litha, or the summer solstice, I will share my knowledge of the part that certain trees played in ancient times and still do today.

In the meantime, Blessed Litha to you all on Saturday, enjoy the day as the nights will once again be lengthening.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide. Todays the time to bring in your yule log and put up holly to protect your home. Just been reading the last few posts on here. Peverilperil I believe in the

Me too @plantfit wonder how long it will take the IKEA security guards to throw me out?

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth. Soon it will be the first day of the Ce

The problem with Druidism is that the only contemporary written evidence we have of it and its customs is that of the Roman Historian, Tacitus. He was writing from the point of view of a conqueror and consequently didn't include much in the way of details about the religion or its practices. This means that modern Druidism is almost completely a made up religion, especially the flambouyant garb that they wear; which, of course, makes the whole thing a nonesense :)

• Upvote 3

There are many writings about paganism of which the druids form a part but not the whole, the same can be said for wiccans who were brought to the fore by Gerald Gardner in the 70's and it is usually the extremists who "dress up." There will be many others around who follow different paths in their own way, who would not advertise the fact.

The point of this thread is to show, as much as anything, how Christianity in particular still follow many of the ancient rituals, dressed up to suit their way. Much paganism was suppressed in the early years, starting with the Romans, but some rituals and beliefs were adapted to encourage pagans to change their ways and to be more acceptable to them.

For instance, at the risk of offending the more devout Christians, perhaps, though not intended, The Goddess mentioned above, Isis married her own brother and gave birth to a son. There are ancient pictures of Isis suckling her son and it is thought that it is these pictures that were adapted to depict Mary nursing Jesus.

No ancient religions can be taken at face value, all stories, myths and legends started as stories around campfires, "Chinese whispers" if you will, but basically they all follow the same principles.

Compo, to tell the truth, to me all religions are nonsense, but if I had to choose a religion, I would chose Druidism, because I would prefer to follow the seasons, nature, the wheel of the year, and venerate our ancestors than any other, but in reality are not all religions made up from the same basics.

• Upvote 2

Compo, to tell the truth, to me all religions are nonsense, but if I had to choose a religion, I would chose Druidism, because I would prefer to follow the seasons, nature, the wheel of the year, and venerate our ancestors than any other, but in reality are not all religions made up from the same basics.

Yes all of the main world religions are made up of the same basic and fundamental ideas and principles i.e. PEACE. What many fail to recognize.

• Upvote 3

What !!!!! you'll buy the heroine, only joking, LOL.

Yes, celebrate the longest day.

• 1 month later...

Logic's Adversary

Religion is life's mental crutch the lame-in-mind rely on,

For others tell them what to think, of self-belief there is none.

They trust the words of ages past, in books they call the scriptures,

And spread them round as gospel truth, in sermons and in pictures.

Some force themselves and their beliefs on anyone who'll listen,

And those that won't are demonised, their outlook shall not glisten.

Tolerance of others' views? anathema with knobs on,

They are right, all others wrong, and understanding long gone.

Look around the world, in almost every region,

Troubles there are usually caused by despots or religion.

Death and suffering, stock-in-trade to those with strong persistence,

In God's name they force their will on those with less resistance.

So see it clear there is no God, nor is there a heaven,

Such figments of man's making put him at six and seven.

The world would be a better place if religion it resist,

For me I'll just say this then, thank God I'm, atheist.

• Upvote 1

At an International football match, a couple of years ago, there was fighting in the stadium between the two sets of fans. After the game, there was rioting on the streets with many getting injured and property damaged. Was this the fault of football or was it it's fanatical fans?. The fighting and slaughter that is happening around the world today between different religions isn't to do with God, it's to do with his fanatical fans. Football, and I'm just using this as an example, is a peaceful sport that brings pleasure to millions of people around the World. Religion is a way of life that brings happiness, forgiveness and love to millions of people around the World and fancy words from Chulla won't alter the fact. It's the evilness in the Human Race that is the problem, not football or God.

• Upvote 4

As a Christian I have no desire to try to force anyone to believe what I believe. Even if I could do so it would be pointless as it would not be real to the so called converts. The problems tend to come from those who pretend Christian beliefs but are not really Christians. Judas was a great example of that. A thief and a hypocrite, but even the other disciples hadn't figured that out until the betrayal. Most folks have rejected Christianity without ever understanding what it really teaches. They think it is just, be nice to everybody, don't steal etc.and on a score of one to ten you will be around an eight or so and make it into Heaven. Good deeds are a by product, not the means of entry.

• Upvote 3

Happiness, forgiveness and love - I have all of those things without being religious, because I have my own mind-set. I know right from wrong, appreciate others' feelings, and so on, I do not need instructions on how to or be made to behave. Throughout history and 'til the present day, religion has been responsible for more death, suffering and misery than any other reason. Read the books of Richard Dawkins.

• Upvote 2

You haven't understood my post (#67), Chulla. I'm not asking anyone to be religious or anything else. I was making the point that it's not God that causes the problems around the World, it's the Human Race. You state that you are an atheist, and who's to say you are wrong in your belief. We will only know that when we die. You state that you appreciate the feelings of other people so why did you start your post (#64) with: 'Religion is life's mental crutch the lame-in-mind rely on'.

I'm not a member or follower of any denomination and it doesn't interest me what anyone else is. I've mentioned that so you won't think I'm a religious nutter. :). My church is in my heart and I live my life accordingly. One last thought, Chulla, If I'm right, all well and good. If you're wrong, boy are you in trouble... :Shock:

• Upvote 5

Chulla#70. You are welcome to your atheism if that is what you choose to believe but please don't give us that tired old sore about religion being responsible for all the deaths and suffering in this tired old world. Please remember that the Soviets and the Chinese communists, officially atheist states, have sent untold numbers to their deaths because they were "religious." Remember also that Atheism has also been labeled a religion.

• Upvote 4

No worries for any of us if we are good people, cos if there really is a heaven and God, then according to the bible he will look after us lost sheep, regardless of our belief system.

Any way I've booked my place in the Summerlands

Back on thread I have been watching a really interesting programme just recently Pagans and Pilgrims which shows just how close the old ways and Christianity are, and how many Christian places were deliberately built on ancient sites of pre Christian worship.

Darkanza,

That may be because the Christians piggy-backed their religion onto the pagan sites and festivals, to make it more acceptable to non-believers, and to make it easier to enrol them.

Me, I choose to avoid the opiate of the masses.