Well time is racing by and has caught me unawares as last week the Celtic Month of The Ash (Nion or Nuin) began on the 17th!

The Ash is steeped in mythology and is strongly associated with Odin, known as the Spear Brandisher among many of his other names, whose great spear Gungnir was made of ash.

Because of the reverence given to the ash by the Teutons, after the Germanic tribes entered Britain the birch was replaced by the ash for what would become known as the Maypole. Here it represents the phallic, solar centre of the celebrations of life around which the gaily coloured ribbons of the weaving, lunar energies are woven in dance.

As a tree ruled by the sun the ash was also considered important during Imbolc for its protection for the newborn, lambs and delicate young plants beginning to push their way through the earth. Ash's water loving aspects were also invoked to bring the spring tides and showers so necessary for growing life. Also connected to this aspect was the cross of equal arms fashioned from the wood and carried by sailors to protect them at sea.

The wassailing bowl of the druids, used to toast the harvest trees was carved from the health giving protective ash, and ash was the traditional wood of the Yule Log.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide. Todays the time to bring in your yule log and put up holly to protect your home. Just been reading the last few posts on here. Peverilperil I believe in the

Me too @plantfit wonder how long it will take the IKEA security guards to throw me out?

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth. Soon it will be the first day of the Ce

• 4 weeks later...

As the flowers of spring now start to brighten the ground, and the blossoms and new leaf buds awaken the trees we now move into the Celtic month of the Alder or Fearn, (pronounced fairin) the only broadleaf tree to bear cones.

Friday the 20th March is quite a significant day this year, as well as being the day of the solar eclipse it is also the day that the Wheel of Life turns to Ostara (from where the word Easter originates). The Alder flourishes along river banks bridging that magical space between both the heavens and earth.

According to legend the Alder and Willow became trees of the waterways, rivers, streams, ponds and lakes which gave life to the land.

As a tree which bleeds Alder is also associated with the legend of the Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire, and are also strongly associated with the old god Bran.

Anciently renowned as the best wood for pipes and whistles gave Alder great affinity to the element of air. The Druids recognised the Alder as a sacred tree and with Alder whistles " enticed the air elementals and whistled up the wind." Witches were also said to use such whistles to conjure up the force of the north wind.

In healing Alder is used for relief from swellings and inflammation associated with arthritis, chronic skin diseases and burns among many other ailments.

With its links to water it is able to "bridge" the waters of the emotions through meditation. The old teachings tell us that the Alder gives spiritual protection during disputes, so if you know you're heading for an unavoidable confrontation - carry a piece of alder with you.

The brightest of blessings to you all for a peaceful Ostara.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9230904/Beltane-Britains-ancient-festival-is-making-a-comeback.html.

With Beltane just around the corner here's a link about how some celebrations are making a comeback.

Bright blessings to you all at Beltane.

• Upvote 3

Hope it's a clear night on Thursday. Planning to build a fire in my stone ruin and to be at one with my ancient predecessors. Stars, ancient granite, fire, and calvados originating from the surrounding trees, really frees up the spirits. Watching the dawn.....

At the downing of the sun a week tomorrow, a diverse set of characters of all persuasions will congregate to celebrate the hop and the vine. They will relate tales of yore, graven images will be captured while half-naked young people race by. Regulars know what I mean; wannabes - be there.

• Upvote 1

#112 & 113. Yep. On the night of the 6th at the local henge on St James' Street. Who shall we sacrifice?

• Upvote 1

I've no idea about anything concerning Pagans and had no idea it was a religion. My remark was meant as a joke and didn't really warrant the abrupt comment that you made, Fynger. If I was a Moderator I'd Lock this thread, as a certain Moderator usually does.

• Upvote 3

My thought for the day in view of the last two previous comments.......As with Politics, religion whether it be Paganism, Christian or what ever else is practiced in the world today is a very emotive and volatile subject and l am very surprised that it is allowed to be discussed on Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 1

As long as people don't get abusive and over emotive, then any topic should be allowed. Political discussion has been banned as certain members repeatedly flount the rules, and have become insulting to other members.

No doubt people will be voting accordingly next week, but as its secret, then I for one don't want to know their views.

• Upvote 1

Please don't lock this thread. darkanza's posts are not religious, just reminders and insights about historical events. Fascinating.

PP - an agnostic, with time for anyone interesting and not extreme.

• Upvote 5

Darkanza - Our son was born on 30th April 48 years ago and it snowed heavily that day. Would 'those of the old ways' have read anything into this I wonder?

It was a very worrying and dramatic time for us. I was in the Eye Infirmary, in bed with both eyes padded and my head held stationary, while Mrs PP was giving birth in Peel St. I had just been made redundant too.

So 30th April is an important time of reflection for us.

Nottstalgians, please don't involve yourselve's in the comments between Fynger and I. Carry the thread on as normal and enjoy your posts to each other. This is my last post on this thread and I'll be really disappointed if there's any more comments regarding Fynger and I. I have enough on my plate at the moment with a wife at home fighting for her life.

PeverilPeril I don't not know if there was significance in the snow fall on the day of your sons birth, but a little research on the spirituality of snow was interesting.

Snow was regarded as being half heaven and half earth which falls gently and silently, teaching us that we must do things with gentleness, and in a paced manner. Rain starts as snow which will submerge everything if allowed to pour, snow is a symbol of the first gentle steps of what is to come.

When snow comes it covers all the grime and presents us with a sense of serenity and purity.

Perhaps the snow falling on the day of your son's birth so late in the season was a reminder of the purity that had entered your lives, and that no matter how bad things were there was also beauty in your lives, and that slowly things would improve.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you darkazana. Following that difficult period in our lives things did get much better and our whole family have enjoyed peace and success in our own ways, So maybe the snow was a sign?

I have a very big ( 30" trunk) Larch tree to fell. Reading up on Larch trees reveals that they, along with Birch are used in Pagan ceremonies.

It will hurt me to fell this Larch tree because I have always regarded her as the matriarch of the hundreds of trees on the fermette. Not the biggest tree on the property but the most impressive, with her wide spreading branches that embrace all around like a guardian mother.

She has to be cut down before falling on the cottage. We have put up with the invasive needles for years but the threat to the cottage means she has to go. Three of her siblings grow nearby and are safe from the chop..

I don't 'talk to the trees' but there is a spirituality there from somewhere?

• Upvote 1

I see Paganism as 'the old ways' and Nottstagia is about the old ways, among other things. There are many posts on here about ghosts and haunted houses but they are not associated with spiritualism or religion.. Believe what you like