Blessed Samhain.

The end on the old year in the Wheel Of The Year and the start of the new. A time when the veil between the worlds of the dead and the living is at its thinnest and spirits can roam.

This is the time to remember those who are gone before, and a place should be set for them at your table.

A time of looking forward. In agricultural circles this is the time when people prepared for the long dark days of winter, by slaughtering animals which would not make it through the winter and salting down the meat. The last feast of the year when some fresh meat and foods would be available, until spring brought forth the new life.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide. Todays the time to bring in your yule log and put up holly to protect your home. Just been reading the last few posts on here. Peverilperil I believe in the

Me too @plantfit wonder how long it will take the IKEA security guards to throw me out?

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth. Soon it will be the first day of the Ce

Bright Blessings to all at Yuletide.

This is the time to celebrate the return of the sun to our land. A time of birth.

Yuletide follows the dark days of Samhain, and after the shortest day (today) and the longest dark hours the sun will be welcomed back to our world where the sunlight hours will now grow longer.

Most symbolic of this time will be the Yule log, which many Christians have incorporated into their festival in the form of a decorated log, or even the chocolate variety. The Yule log, traditionally of ash, was burned at the winter solstice to draw back the sun, and would be big enough to burn throughout the Yuletide celebrations.

Long before Prince Albert introduced the decorated Christmas tree into our homes in England, evergreens were traditionally dressed in shiny glittering objects at Yuletide as offerings to attract the light of the sun back into the year. Here also is the start of the tradition of the giving of gifts at this time.

• Upvote 1

Long before Prince Albert introduced the decorated Christmas tree into our homes in England, evergreens were traditionally dressed in shiny glittering objects at Yuletide as offerings to attract the light of the sun back into the year. Here also is the start of the tradition of the giving of gifts at this time.

Thought that was due to 3 old geezers bringing gold etc.etc., bowdown

Jesus was actually born in the autumn, and the church aligned his birth with the Yuletide celebrations as they had such a powerful effect on the people. the Magi arrived many months after the birth of Jesus, and the act of offerings was already long established, as described above. The church were very clever in associating the old religions with their own in a bid to attract people away from their traditional ways of following the natural cycle and rhythms of the earth.

#30 Stan

Ah yes but this is clearly marked as a Pagan thread and can be avoided at all costs if desired! And actually it was known that Jesus was born in autumn, I do believe there are some scribings to the fact and that he was crucified on a Friday. It is irrelevant anyway, my point being that the church aligned it all up with existent celebrations to encourage people to convert to Christianity, but still keep many of their festivals.

The Bible never mentions "3 old geezers" Just wise men, could have been dozens of them for all we know, all we know are the three types of gifts, again, could have been dozens of each, whereby most would have to have been returned to Walmarts for an exchange....

• 1 month later...

Blessed Imbolg or Candlemass if you prefer

This is the time when brooks and rivers run high, and we see spring floods in water meadows (so far so true this year!!) old vegetation is being broken down and the ground is being prepared for new growth. The land is literally being washed and made fresh again (unfortunately modern intensive farming doesn't always allow for this)

The first signs of spring are appearing, snowdrops, winter aconite and hazel catkins. New born lambs are appearing.

Imbolg (which means Ewe's milk) is a time of new beginnings. A new start and the growth of light and lengthening of the days.

Anyway talking about politics,paganism and religion will get us a smart rap over the knuckles from `on high'

Slight correction, not respecting beliefs or opinions perhaps.

An interesting thread which I missed.

I am happy to put my faith in a lot of what the Bible says. I have a lot of theories, but loving my fellow man and (trying to) forgive bad things is OK with me. If I am wrong (and as a married man I'm well used to being wrong) then I'll just find something else to do when I'm dead.

• 1 month later...

Blessed Ostara (or Eostre)

The time of the Spring equinox, where once again the daylight and night hours are the same length, but from now on the light will increase over the darkness.

This is the time of new fertility, hence the name Eostre, the time for resurgence in every way. Chicks hatch out, coming from the dark to the light, and daffodils emerge from the earth, a renewed self.

Rabbits (or more traditionally, hares) are the symbol of new fertility which is from where the term "Easter Bunnies" originate.

• Upvote 2

I could do with a resurgence.

• 1 month later...

Bright Blessings at Beltane

Mayday

Many of us will have celebrated this ancient day, as we still do with a bank holiday.

This is the festival of love, the sabbat about the dance of love, when our ancestors danced around the Maypole which represented the male entwined with the female.

The theme is the union of opposites, for a more creative result.

• Upvote 1