I thought my poem might produce a reaction from those with opposing views, but I did not write it specifically to rile them.

loppylugs: I did not say that religion is responsible for all deaths and suffering.

If the victims of the Russian and Chinese Communists were not religious they would not have been murdered.

Michael: They are many people who devote their lives to religion, presumably, among other reasons, thinking that there will be a special place in heaven when they die. Such people want their lives to be run in a religious manner; in other words it becomes a hobby. Many such people think either that their lives won't be worth living unless they believe in God, or something evil will befall them if they are not religious. These people never query the existence of God.

You say that if I am wrong then I will be in trouble; who with - God? But I thought that God was an understanding being, who forgives; after all he gave me a brain to think with. But, of course, that will never happen, because when we die that will be the absolute end. No purgatory, no heaven - just imagine existing for an eternity (billions of years). What do the dead do with themselves in heaven? The more you consider the possibility of an after-life the more ridiculous it sounds.

Face the fact, we are just another species of life on this earth, the one that has advanced in intelligence more than any other. We are born, exist and then die, like all life. What is wrong with that? Religion was invented to allay the fears of those who didn't like the prospect of dying, and God was invented to explain everything that the simple people of the past could not comprehend. Amen.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide. Todays the time to bring in your yule log and put up holly to protect your home. Just been reading the last few posts on here. Peverilperil I believe in the

Me too @plantfit wonder how long it will take the IKEA security guards to throw me out?

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth. Soon it will be the first day of the Ce

My point exactly Rob L.

Christianity is a relatively young religion, hijacking ancient beliefs and moulding their own around them. When you research more deeply into the different religions you see that many of the stories show an uncanny similarity to ancient myths and legends, with changed names but little else.

Chulla, I assume you don't believe in ghosts or the supernatural either, which is fine, but there are a lot of unexplained happenings out there, several recorded by Nottstalgians on this site, which has to make you wonder if there is no spiritual afterworld what do these people see, myself included as I have had many experiences of this nature.

Really, Melissa! You have just taken a degree in philosophy - the search for knowledge and understanding of things and causes - and you say that you hate one of the great thinkers of today.

I can accept he's considered one of the greatest thinkers of our time but being a Christian I don't agree with any of his ideas and theories. Whenever I've seen him speaking in interviews he always comes across as sickeningly arrogant. I begrudged buying and reading his books for research for my dissertation. Needless to say I'm now selling them on ebay for next to nothing!

• Upvote 3

loppylugs: I did not say that religion is responsible for all deaths and suffering.

If the victims of the Russian and Chinese Communists were not religious they would not have been murdered

????????? Doesn't change the fact that they were killed by an atheistic belief system.

Maybe this old brain has just misunderstood you somehow. :-)

If you hate him and his philosophies that much Melissa, why don't you burn the books to stop them from 'poisoning' other people's minds. I think you had made your mind up before you began to read the books. Sorry we don't see eye-to-eye on this, so no point in continuing the discussion .

I have to admit to being atheist but find lots of comfort and wisdom in 'The Rubaiyat Of Omar Khayyam'. He wasn't an atheist; at least, he didn't admit to something which would have got him executed in his day, and possibly this. He puts religion in proper perspective! You may say it's only a poem (a series of quatrains) translated and perhaps embelished by a poet, but it says so much I can relate to that I regard it as my 'bible'.

• Upvote 1

I enjoy following the old ways and the Wheel Of Life, as it follows the natural rhythms of the earth. Which brings me to belatedly wish you all Blessed Lammas, or Lughnasadh for yesterday. This is the time of harvest for which, whatever your beliefs, we should all be grateful for what we have.

There is a theme of sacrifice at this time. What should we give to make sure that our lives bear fruit and that all mouths are fed in a just and harmonious world?

Brightest Blessings Friends.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 months later...

Well it's that time of the year again, Bright Blessings to all at Samhain. Here's some of the celebrations that will be happening around Britain at this time of the year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29742774

• Upvote 3

Brilliant darkazana.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, and heres me thinking that Halloween just belonged to the American traditions. I love to read anything about Folk Law and Old English traditions. I have discovered that as I get older the more it all fascinates me, and of course being retired we have the time to go off in search of these celebrations around our Country. Thankyou for posting the info.

• Upvote 1

I was brought up strict Roman Catholic - then I began to think about the teachings; now I'm an athiest.

I'm married to a Roman Catholic. It makes no difference to us. We love each other and accept each others beliefs.

• Upvote 3

I'm married to a RC.....she had a strict upbringing by the Nuns and her parents......till she met me...soon broke that Rhythm........ :rotfl:

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth.

Soon it will be the first day of the Celtic Tree Calendar, an ancient system which catalogues the seasons and their corresponding trees, moods and energies. It was always accepted that a tree should be asked before removing something from it, and thanked for its gift.

The first day is 24th December and the tree for this month is the Birch, or (Beith in the Ogham Alphabet)

The Birch was known as the Lady Of The Wood, a tree of healing, new starts and beginnings, and connected to the elements of Air and Water.

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide.

• Upvote 6
  • 5 weeks later...

Today the Celtic Tree Calendar month of Birch or Beith comes to an end and tomorrow will see the start of the month of the Rowan, or Luis in the Ogham alphabet.

Rowan, or Mountain ash, is one of my personal favourite trees, the berries produce a lovely rich jelly which will rival redcurrant jelly and is delicious with cold meats. Whenever I move house I always plant a rowan in my garden along the border line, if there isn't one already there, along with hawthorn and holly hedges.

This small yet bold tree is associated with dramatic legends and was anciently regarded as the Tree Of Life. It's protective qualities were recognised by most folk and the cross beams of chimneys were often made of rowan to protect the house and those within. In Devonshire and Worcestershire rowan was brought into the house on Holy Rood Day (May 3rd) to utilise it's protective qualities.

This is a most sacred tree to Druids and rowan was planted at all sacred places of worship, especially at stone circles, where it would protect the energy of the circles and the ley lines which linked them. In such positions rowan was considered to be at it's most powerful and it's energy was regarded as indispensable to the well being of the land.

There is so much more written about the rowan and its properties, too much to put down here, but if anyone is interested in Tree Lore then I would recommend reading Tree Wisdom.

• Upvote 1

Hello darkazana,

If you have the recipe for the jelly I would be interested. We always pick the red currants from our local 'Fruit Farm' and I make a batch of Jelly. Not only is it delicious with Meat ( my favourites are Turkey and Lamb) but I make Strawberry Flans and I spoon melted Jelly over the fruit, before topping of with Cream.

Would the Rowan Jelly make a nice change? I enjoyed reading your post as usual. Always interesting.

• Upvote 1

Rowan jelly might be a bit sharp with sweet dishes, carni, but then again it might be really tasty. I'll put the recipe on when I go home next Monday.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Bright Blessings to all at Imbolc. Also known as Candlemass to Catholics and Groundhog Day in America. The darkness is turning to light as the days lengthen and Spring is just around the corner.

• Upvote 1