• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bright Blessings to you all at Yuletide. Todays the time to bring in your yule log and put up holly to protect your home. Just been reading the last few posts on here. Peverilperil I believe in the

Me too @plantfit wonder how long it will take the IKEA security guards to throw me out?

Here we are at the Winter Solstice once again. Time to bring in your Yule Logs. This connection to trees goes back to the beginnings of our time on this earth. Soon it will be the first day of the Ce

• 1 month later...

I'm not really considering myself a pagan as such (Although I've been called similar a few times!) but I'm more inclined to believe that there is something there pushing us along, a bit like a "Mother Nature" guiding us through evolution.

It's hard to explain what I'm meaning, but when you learn that at one time we just had green plants, then there was a mutation to create that first flowering plant, but then, by a complete miracle, another mutation happened so that there could be a cross pollination, that's the little push I'm talking about.
Things like Mistletoe couldn't survive without birds wiping the sticky seeds off of their beaks onto only certain types of trees to complete their 'symbiotic relationships' etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did say it 's hard to explain........... I'll have another go:-

I think that if the plant kingdom goes suddenly from none flowering grasses and trees etc to all the different floral species that we have now, then something gave them that little 'push' in the right direction (And I'm not talking about modern day horticulturalists!).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bleddy hell .... Tonight first time in 70 years there will be full moon on summer solstice It won't happen again in our lifetime!

And apparently the last time it happened was in 1967. So I think all Nottstalgians were around at that time.

• 1 year later...

Well that Pagan thing on the Arboretum was really good, (biggest in the UK) took some convincing to get Mrs Red on there, got there about 3 left after 6, boy there was some sights, loads of witches with those drawstring dresses that enhance their boobies & blokes carrying big sticks, wizards? Some right freaks! It was packed, had a Mr Softy 99 each, watched some magic, belly-dancing & some very good folk music on the bandstand & some more belly-dancing. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Wassailing. Looking forwards to this celebration in the new year. My cidre press was put to good use a couple of weeks ago and hopefully the first tasting will be ready. Got a few gallons of last years as a back up and a few 4 y/o bottles, so the celebrations will be well lubricated ;)

• Like 1

No apples for me this year PeverilPeril, I've had to go scrumping for wild crabapples, the last of which I got today along with rosehips for my final foraging jelly of the year.

• Like 1

Blessed Samhain to all Nostalgians, tis the time of year when the veil between our world and t'other is at it's thinnest and spooky stuff can occur.

It also signifies the end of the harvest season when all is safely gathered in and we can start to prepare for the long winter months by preserving what we can in the form of chutneys, jams, jellies and cider (of course), meat would have been salted down and hung in the larder to see our forebears through the cold dark days, and little furry and prickly creatures will be settling down for their winter snooze, their own larders stocked to see them through.

Time to stoke up the fires and look forward to Yule.

Blessings

• Like 3

As I get older it is strange what you remember and what, often unrelated, triggers those memories.

Some of the most recent posts reminded me of harvest festival time at junior school and two hymns came immediately to mind.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Cidre - I make it in France. :biggrin: When talking about next seasons cider/cidre with my fellow club members we should really call it cyder. Reason being that it will be  English,  using archaic techniques and equipment with no additives apart from the mandatory dead rat . 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...