If anyone is interested it's the anniversary of the death of Billy Fury today - just a piece of useless information!

Didn't he sing a song with the lyrics containing the following:

'...last night was made for love, where the hell were you...'

or was that someone else or have I embroided it a little bit over the years?

I seem to remember something like that was added by the masses 'cause it fitted into the music better.

A ;)

I think he suffered from heart trouble, he had a weak heart from childhood and it finally gave out at the early age of 42 (the same age Elvis died at - now there's a coincidence)

I'd like to hear this 'Phil Chance' does he have a web site and has he recorded anything Chrissie?

• 2 years later...

My sister is mad on billy fury. We saw a lookalike at skegness during their 60s weekend last october,he was qutie good but i cant remember his name. x

Mick, Thanks for that - bloody brilliant! and as you quite rightly say, the English Elvis.

I go down your way regularly Bazzer and every village you pass through in the whole of the West Country (Bristol and onwards) seemed to have flyers up announcing a forthcoming Worzels gig!!!

I go to rock and roll events at Hemsby, which has two events a year lasting about 5 days each. People come from all over Europe with 1950 Coup de Villes and the like. Every one dresses for the event, 'Ted Suits etc' Many groups from Europe and the States. It used to be held at Pontins but I think they got a bit greedy, so it's now held in another holiday camp just across the road.

You definately would not have got Buddy Holly, Bazzer, but if it wasn't for the fact that Col Tom Parker was an illegal immigrant to the USA, and therefore, couldn't leave, you may well have got the King who definately did want to tour the World!

that t***t has a lot to answer for !

----:----

I'm after a Billy Fury CD,,,,,,, one of The Greatest of ?????? if there is one,,,,,

It must be 'Original' recordings,,,,,, I don't mind a good 'remix' or re-recording,,, as long as it's the original tracks.

I see lots out there,,,,,,,, but don't know which are original tracks,,,,

Any suggestions please ?

Billy Fury, the English Elvis, are you out of your minds.

The bloke was manipulated right from the start, it was obvious he was ill when he started, you just had to look at his performances and see from his face that something was wrong, he was always death warmed up.

I'm sure he was a lovely bloke and tried his best, but it was no comparison to what was happening at the time with regard to the emergence of the Beatles and truly original music that his manipulted, old fashioned crowd couldn't aspire to.

Lovely guy but a no hoper in the scheme of things at the time, whether he had been born 10 years earlier would have made a difference, who knows, I personally doubt whether it would have been possible for him to have made such an impact as Cliff Richard and the Shadows, as they did in the 50's.

Poor old lad, some of us remember him, lets leave it as that.

• 7 years later...

I watched 'Sound Of Fury' tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However one part was upsetting.

I already knew how badly the managers treated the artists in those early days.

All I can say is what ' bastard' Larry Parnes was.

I apologise for my language but it still makes me angry how badly young talented singers were treated.

• Upvote 1