Where is the centre of England?

The big stone building, Rock Court. That looks reasonable. Cheers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the whole planet revolved around me ??

Definitely an East Midlander. 52yrs  living in West Mids, but I love Nottingham, my accent is still Nottm  based after all these years.

It can't be the East Midlands - because, by definition they are off-centre. For the same reason it cannot be the West Midlands either. So where the dickens are the Mid-Midlands - surely that is where

Actually Basford wasn't in Basford Rural DC. It covered the areas outside the city to the north (Selston,Awsworth, Strelley, Trowell etc plus Wollaton and Bilborough and also had a separate non-connected area including Clifton, Colwick, Lambley, Burton Joyce and iirc Radcliffe. The offices were as Benjamin says at Rock House,

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/2022323/27E7B88A34F1E0B8847ED80ECDEBEA2D27A3C784.html

Dint say it were!! Just thought the Basford UDC offices might have been there .......

got you going tho dint it lizzie lol

I think you may be right Katyjay, I'll have a look when I next drive past.

Rock house is correct,but now there is a Rock court just below off Stockhill lane

That the place clff ton, nice to see a bit of Old Basford still standing,i think its a nursery now.

It is, I've seen hoards of wailing brats coming out in an afternoon.

• Upvote 1

Basfordred i sometimes give you 'a like' not because i agree with your sentiments but because i find them funny..... :biggrin:

'NO MANS HEATH' and the 4 counties,that brings back memories Stephen, of my journeys to Brum before the M42, a pleasant drive in those days,took alot longer but did it matter? and yes a good place for the centre methinks.

I passed this the other day on my way back from Tamworth, it is now an Indian restaurant.

Re # 28 thanks benjamin, I always try to inject a bit of humour even on a serious subject.

I try and get over my points in an un-agressive manner with an element fun. Very occasionally I sail a bit close to the wind and hope I get away with it.

• 5 years later...

Iv'e only moved 10 miles north of Bulwell...........but i feel i'm in the North.........the accent is different,,and the local BBC news is ''Look north'' which basically covers parts of Yorkshire ,,North Lincs and Humberside,,,don't get me wrong iv'e always felt more Northern than Southern,,and never felt like a Midlander,,,the wife who is originally from the 'deep south' pointed it out today when watching look north.       How do you feel ,,,northern,,southern or a midlander,,......not what we Geographically are.......but what you feel you are  ?

• Like 1

I look out of my window and I see the hills to the south of the Trent but I've never been beyond those hills so don't know what it's like. For holidays I go even further north to Scotland and I can assure you it's even more bloody grim up there!

May I remind you, take a peek at Compo's pictures. I agree with you though. North is a rugged beauty where as South is more a rural beauty.

There are some superb views on the downs. We actually live on the edge of the newly named South Downs National park. But no way could we afford to buy even a dog kennel. At least I don't have to show my passport anymore when crossing the Thames..

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

Phil be careful, if you go south of those hills you will fall off the edge of the Earth.

Now I know that's true, the man in the pub who proved the moon landing was faked told me so....