Where is the centre of England?

The River Trent runs across much of England, from west to east, and is traditionally the boundary between northern England and southern England. Sawley is at approximately the mid-point of its course from Biddulph Moor in Staffordshire (where it rises) to the Humber. It has even been claimed that because of these facts Sawley is the real centre of England.

www.geoffreykingscott.co.uk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the whole planet revolved around me ??

Definitely an East Midlander. 52yrs  living in West Mids, but I love Nottingham, my accent is still Nottm  based after all these years.

It can't be the East Midlands - because, by definition they are off-centre. For the same reason it cannot be the West Midlands either. So where the dickens are the Mid-Midlands - surely that is where

For far too long now the focus has been on Sawley as being the centre of England, nay, THE WORLD!

well all that is about to change, as the outlying boroughs have had enough of the kid glove treatment and special handouts afforded to their elite neighbour, and have vowed to rebel.

plans are afoot to usurp this prima donna, with the LongEaton Lurkers leading the fray, followed closely by the Chilwell chikers, who with dogged resolve intend to storm the village and take back what is rightfully theirs..

it is expected to be a protracted fray, and there may be many losses, with the Sawley sweeties fighting hard to maintain their priviledged position.. but there will be only one outcome, namely the alliance of LongEaton and Chilwell as being the supreme victors..

from thence on, Sawley will be no more...

long live Leachwell-on-Trent!

I have performed calculations with the aid of a slide rule, and satellite navigation system.

I can now tell you that the centre of England is Tamworth Road Bogs!

;) They are very nice too. Whenever i and my friends fancy a night out around Long-eaton we always arrange to meet their, third stall from the left.... !rotfl!

The bogs.. one time citadel and headquarters of the Sawley freedom fighters...

every friday night would see it jam packed with warriors, all eager to play their part for the cause. chants of 'fwee Thwarley' and 'Thwarley ruleth' (they all spoke with a lithp and wore cravats) could be heard till well into the night.. it was only when their leader a Crispin Bertwhistle got arrested for something totally unrelated to the cause, that the movement started to wane.. later attempts at a revival by Jeremy Farquaharson a veteran of the 'Free Beeston Ryeland' campaign proved to be unsuccessful, and thus movement was eventually abandoned..

maybe someday another leader may take up the cause, but until then the bogs stand desolate and abandoned, albeit for the lone pilgrim who goes to seek out the throne, and thereupon sit and dream of what might have been!.

• 2 years later...

Just found this and it set me thinking on a number of items ,first the centre of England is Meriden near Coventry.

For some reason, I always thought Repton was supposed to be the centre of England!

Beefy - I agree!

We over the years have had some right funny people on here who have entertained us with their imaginative ramblings but unfortunately most of them go soar like the proverbial pint of milk left out all day in the warmth of our summer.

Bip.

• 6 years later...

The information you can use to perform this calculation is so variable that it really isn't worth the effort. We all live in the Midlands and it has to be somewhere here so lets all use that spare calculation time share the glory!

I thought it was somewhere in Warwickshire, could be wrong though.

It can't be the East Midlands - because, by definition they are off-centre. For the same reason it cannot be the West Midlands either. So where the dickens are the Mid-Midlands - surely that is where the centre has to be. There used to be a stop on the X99 bus called "No Man's Heath (Four Counties Inn)" which I think was on the border between two of the East Midlands counties (Leicestershire and Derbyshire?) and two of the West Midlands (Warwickshire and Staffordshire?) So, in spite of wild claims and pompous road signs at Meriden, my money is on No Man's Heath ! (By the way, I used to live in Sawley and never heard that it was supposed to be the centre of the universe ....er, England.)

• Upvote 1

'NO MANS HEATH' and the 4 counties,that brings back memories Stephen, of my journeys to Brum before the M42, a pleasant drive in those days,took alot longer but did it matter? and yes a good place for the centre methinks.

It would depend on which of the suburbs make up the perimeter.

West Bridgford?

Beeston + Long Eaton?

Carlton?

Hucknall?

Without the suburbs I reckon somewhere around the eastern side of The Forest.

A guesstimate!

All those places are outside the City (i think carlton is) so east side of Forest would be St Andrews churchish,thats not far from Hyson Greenish

It's where I live, just north of the City Hospital !!!!! Hurrah