Where is the centre of England?

6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Iv'e only moved 10 miles north of Bulwell...........but i feel i'm in the North.........the accent is different

Regardless of geographical lines on a map linguists say that t'north starts at Hucknall as it appears that this is where the dialect changes from mostly southern to northern influences. I wonder if it is due to the influence of mining communities?

• Like 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the whole planet revolved around me ??

Definitely an East Midlander. 52yrs  living in West Mids, but I love Nottingham, my accent is still Nottm  based after all these years.

It can't be the East Midlands - because, by definition they are off-centre. For the same reason it cannot be the West Midlands either. So where the dickens are the Mid-Midlands - surely that is where

13 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

How do you feel ,,,northern,,southern or a midlander,,......not what we Geographically are.......but what you feel you are  ?

Definitely an East Midlander. 52yrs  living in West Mids, but I love Nottingham, my accent is still Nottm  based after all these years.

• Like 2

Just don't like the term 'Midlander' neither here nor there carni,,,still love you though mi duck.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well according to the OS map, it's at Lindley Hall Farm, Fenny Drayton, Leicestershire !

I were always led to believe it were Henley in Arden, or Hampden in Arden. Can't remember which.

It was the instructor on my advance driving course, back in 1972. When we driving around that area he told me and I had no reason to doubt him. My one and only time I've ever driven around Birmingham. Must be a nightmare now.

I'd have job, he's probably passed away by now. Personally, I don't give a toss where the Centre of England is. As far as I'm concerned where I live is the centre of my world. ( What's  Wikipedia anyway Phil ?).

I think I'll go with the OS option.

At last !

Explain that theory then Phil. If it's one place in 2001, how can it change by 2019. I appreciate that the earth changes shape, but not that bleddy fast surely ?

Will do Phil.