Where is the centre of England?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought the whole planet revolved around me ??

Definitely an East Midlander. 52yrs  living in West Mids, but I love Nottingham, my accent is still Nottm  based after all these years.

It can't be the East Midlands - because, by definition they are off-centre. For the same reason it cannot be the West Midlands either. So where the dickens are the Mid-Midlands - surely that is where

That'll do me, thanks DJ. My wife says that I think I'm the centre the universe. Silly bu66er!

Ah.........so we now know the periphery of Nottingham.

Not sure I agree.

If you include Clifton(why is that?) then you might reasonably include at least West Bridgford...............

and Carlton and Arnold for that matter.

Residents of Clifton presumably pay council tax to Nottingham City Council, West Bridgford is Rushcliffe BC, Arnold is in Gedling BC. The areas that are defined as Nottingham pay taxes to Nottingham City Council.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anywhere south of the Trent is in the city, other than Clifton.

All very helpful clarifications of one kind or another.

The defined boundaries are presumably bureaucratic/administrative and if they serve to determine the centre that that is all well and good.

I think of Nottingham as somewhat larger than the defined boundaries...........it includes all sorts of parts of the shire that abut the city boundaries.

I suspect that Clifton , although south of the Trent, is included within the city boundaries to ensure a large Labour vote to keep City Council run by Labour. Otherwise, it would be in Rushcliffe therefore the Lab votes would be lost within a Tory stronghold.

Just a thought!

I think it was more straight forward than that. When the Corporation wanted to build more homes, that's the land that was available. Of course land being then owned by the City, it had to be included in the city or all the rates would have gone to Old Basford Rural District Council.

Why Old Basford R D C and not the City Council ? You've lost me there DJ.

The land Clifton estate was built in was, prior to that, within the old Old Basford RDC. Oddly that council covered land north and south of the city, split by other councils. Clifton was transferred in iirc 1974.

• Upvote 1

DJ - as you can see, I've edited your last few posts as there is no need to quote a post if you are following straight after it...i've just removed the quoted part...nothing else.

Had a mate lived there firbeck,it would have around 1971/72,Dave Horrobin ( Ginger). We worked together in Colchester. I stayed at his home several times,and a nice quiet place as I recall.

DJ - as you can see, I've edited your last few posts as there is no need to quote a post if you are following straight after it...i've just removed the quoted part...nothing else.

Thanks. My Tapatalk is doing strange things sometimes since the last update.

• Upvote 1

Braintree is clearly the centre of the whole universe, I bet none of you have ever been there.

GOT FRIENDS IN puckeridge,and ive done alot of work Haverhill.

Any ideas anyone where the Basford UDC headquarters would have been ?

Could have been the big house,corner of Davids lane and Bagnal rd,backing onto Stockhill lane,seem to remember reading it.