• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the "Cardy Chardy"! It has taken a while to catch on here, but the few that are available. Are good value - especially. the reds! Back to Yates' - despite the reputation, it is a Nottingham l

The bedtime companion of the Ozzie wino on the park bench and invariably wrapped in a brown paper bag..............A flagon bottle of plonk. Suppliers then went to the cardboard box containing the bl

Is Albert still frequenting (haunting) Yates's.......................??

Remember Ivor, Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is voluntary .

I've always been a bit of a prat, but now I'm a bit of an old prat !!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Don't forget the little guy sat behind the desk, he never missed anything! and the visits from PC Dennis [Tug] Wilson and his mate, he put me in a taxi once and paid the driver to get me home to Snienton - he knew my dad, I was in the army at that time and I may have forgotten most of that evening but I didn't forget to go back to find Tug and give him his ten bob, or whatever it was, back!

• Upvote 1

I used to travel a lot and visit as many different Yate's around the country. Out of all of them Nottinghams' was the best with Leeds a close second. They did rotate the musicians occasionally and an old music teacher of mine (a blind guy with a dog) played the piano there, he knew I was there as well!!

• 3 years later...

I’ve not been in there since the 70s but remember it being a scruffy place.  Historical but a spruce up will no doubt improve it.  Shame they can’t keep the old name though.  

• 4 months later...

Looks like the half a million quid did not stretch to fixing the clock, but at least it right twice a day? 

Anyone remember when you turned right at the front door & up the stairs, there was a full sized naked brass lady, I always gave the bare breasts a feel/stroke on entering, I think most did because the breast where highly polished due to all the groping?

Anyway that's gone, but the clocks there.

NB. The topic title is wrong it's Yates's

EGNiyfYWkAAwkCq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• 3 months later...

Do some older ladies still sit at the Bar asking for 1/6...........and drinking Australian Wine.......plus wearing a chain around an Ankle  ?

2 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

wearing a chain around an Ankle  ?

I remember that Ben. Was it true or just an urban legend?

• 1 year later...

The first pub I went in Nottingham, was Yates, liked the cross section of drinker's age wise, seemed unusual to me. wouldn't be a regular haunt however.

Recall seeing an old women carrying a Sainsbury's carrier, peak time about 8pm Saturday night... recall the musical 

Quartet? Upstairs but only on a Sunday ?

Weren't the table's copper topped?

Ankle chains or people wearing them?

Correct Ben...1983..and they weren't old!!!! 

I only have one experience of Yates. 1994, our first trip to UK, bringing a bunch of locals over. 12 golfers, 9 wives. One of our stop overs was Nottingham so our friends could see where we grew up. After dinner in town we took them on a pub crawl,  first stop Yates. A few of us got in first waiting for the rest to catch up. Nobody else came in. So we went back to the entrance to find an argument going on. Turns out 1 couple were wearing jeans. Nice clean jeans  (not like today's shredded version) and the bouncer wouldn't let them in. Hubby said, but they are Sheriff's deputies, won't cause any bother.  Didn't matter apparently.  No jeans after 7pm.   I said, but we've been inside and lots of jeans in there. He said,  yes, they came in before 7. We left, their loss with 21 paying customers.  We'd never heard anything so daft!

Isn't there another thread with a title similar to this one? I remember making some contribution to it, in particular Yates's white port and the Talbot Trio (not quartet).

25 minutes ago, jonab said:

Isn't there another thread with a title similar to this one? I remember making some contribution to it, in particular Yates's white port and the Talbot Trio (not quartet).

There's only one thread (this one) specifically about Yates's , but I've had a quick search around and the place gets mentioned in several other threads

Put Yates in the Search box and see what I mean. I'm sure you'll find your comment in one of them.