No, not Australia, more like Celanese at Spondon.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the "Cardy Chardy"! It has taken a while to catch on here, but the few that are available. Are good value - especially. the reds! Back to Yates' - despite the reputation, it is a Nottingham l

The bedtime companion of the Ozzie wino on the park bench and invariably wrapped in a brown paper bag..............A flagon bottle of plonk. Suppliers then went to the cardboard box containing the bl

Is Albert still frequenting (haunting) Yates's.......................??

Looking back I think it was the late 60's or early 70's, not sure, but there is one thing I do remember clearly about my visits to YWL......

It was (for some unknown reason) a tradition to start every Friday night pub crawl at Yates' and in keeping with that tradition everyone in the group had to have a Barley Wine....

Horrible stuff, does anyone on this planet actually like it? The next point of call was usually to drop in to watch The Colin Staples Blues Band, but I can't for the life of me remember where that was?? I think the Barley Wine erased that part of my memory but the latter pub could only have been a short walk away.

Barley wine is good in a pint glass with 1/2 of bitter. A good drink. I think Colin Staples was on at the Bell, though I could be mistaken.

We used to start our pub crawls in the Bell, or Imperial.

Anne, You're giving yourself away - the little snug behind the bar indeed!!

Only went a few times before I joined the army.

Is the interior just the same I wonder.

Your last para Banjo48 I am sure is right. Certainly never saw Australia me thinks

:biggrin: DavidL..the snug was great...I used to be in the corner opposite Ena and Minnie and Martha ..that's why you never saw me!!!

• Upvote 1

Ena, Minnie and Martha. They were the days when I watched Coronation Street and couldn't wait for the next episode. I haven't watched it for years now though.

You had to be a watcher if you know who Ena, Minnie and Martha are thumbsup

I have live in Canada for 43 years and have watched Corrie since the first episode way back when,.

It is the only program I can get lost in...I lead a very sheltered life!!

Fings aint wot they used to be on Corrie nowadays..but it is still well worth watching...

• Upvote 1

I'm pleased that you're still enjoying Coronation Street, Anne. I stopped watching it in the early 70's when I started working around Europe and Scandinavia. I think that when Coronation Street first started the whole country watched it (except Fynger) and the storylines were always good. As I'm typing this post, I've realised that I can still remember just about everyone who was in it all those years ago.

I wonder if they watched it in Yates Wine Lodge?. ( I've put that so people can't moan about me going off topic, Anne... :biggrin: ).

Some were perhaps in Yates's to avoid Corrie !!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I recall the string quartet playing on Saturday nights well into the 1980s. From the bus stop from Hyson Green I either I went right into the Bell or left into Yate's. The Bell has hardly changed, even to the lavatories being awash with urine, but my, Yate's has changed. All coloured lights and flashy stuff.

Dad warned me about him and his ilk when I started frequenting town. Odd little bu663r.

My journey to work used to take me over the suspension bridge from West Bridgford to the bus stop near the Wilford Road end of the embankment.

I can't remember the year, but one morning I looked down from the bridge and saw a group of about half a dozen people standing near the steps and watching something being pulled out of the river, by a police boat I think?

As I was already late, I did not have time to stop and carried on to catch my bus.

I am not completely certain, but I think that I read later that it was Albert Brown.

Does anyone remember this incident?

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

I'm 69 and still haven't learnt my lesson !!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1