Hiya Every one,

Just a bit of nonesense for you, Can any one recall if there was a drink measure at Yates called a Dock (not sure about the spelling),I can remember one night out in the 80/90s when my siblings and spouses all had an hilarious pub crawl in the city,ending up in Yates,and some how the measure came up and my brother, who is very comical had us and every one around in stitches with his version of a Nottm person offering a friend called Richard a large drink,it went

Do You Want A Double Dock Dick Duck

Another fab night out in the City.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the "Cardy Chardy"! It has taken a while to catch on here, but the few that are available. Are good value - especially. the reds! Back to Yates' - despite the reputation, it is a Nottingham l

The bedtime companion of the Ozzie wino on the park bench and invariably wrapped in a brown paper bag..............A flagon bottle of plonk. Suppliers then went to the cardboard box containing the bl

Is Albert still frequenting (haunting) Yates's.......................??

I recall it in relation to the infamous Yates drink served from the wood, was it White Wine or something?

but more like a sherry?

That's the one Mick2me,some thing in between the two,You can imagine how the evening went with us all drinking that,all good fun though,The first time i took my hubs in there in 60s,after being upstairs with the music trio we went down stairs and a customer didn't want his drink so he just threw the lot on the floor and no one took any notice,he should have been drinking laughing water like us. :cheers:

"Ozzie white" was served in a "Dock" or a "Schooner". Both are different sized 'Sherry' type glasses. A 'Dock' being half the size of the 'Schooner'

That was it Den

011099.jpg

You can get it from ASDA

Yates's Original Australian Liqueur Wine - mySupermarket.co.uk

The above site looks good for supermarket price comparison?

I can't recall it being a 'liqueur' wine, more an 'Australian Sweet Mountain Wine' , sold from the wood in barrels behind the bar

The bedtime companion of the Ozzie wino on the park bench and invariably wrapped in a brown paper bag..............A flagon bottle of plonk.

Suppliers then went to the cardboard box containing the bladder of wine, invariably Chardonnay and for evermore known as Cardy Chardy.

wine.jpg

• Upvote 1

It is about $10AUD for a 4 litre cask these days but the price varies store to store.

Out the bush, restrictions are in place re size of casks and hours of sales in a vain attempt to curtail the native drinking issues.

australian_wine_cask.jpg
But at the same time, the casks are getting bigger: -

wine-cask-the-conversationnews_300.jpg

Ta.

Proud to say we can (If we shop around) still manage three bottles (750ml) for a tenner. Although sadly I have had to curtail my love of the glorious red.!!
As for Spain, (It don't count if you're on holiday) you can still get a 'cardboard' litre for 80c ( :jumping: )

Think about it, no matter what your personal constituency (eh?), you can still get absolutely off of your trolley for less than 3 quid !!!!

I like the "Cardy Chardy"!

It has taken a while to catch on here, but the few that are available. Are good value - especially. the reds!

Back to Yates' - despite the reputation, it is a Nottingham landmark. I hope it never goes the way of the Black Boy, or the Flying Horse. Actually, we should have a meet up there sometime!

• Upvote 2
  • 8 months later...

I cannot see any posts about this place on Angel Row?

All Aussie wines in huge barrels behind the bar. Some right wierdo's there. Sawdust on the floor, spivs, toms and what have you. Upstairs a three piece band consisting of a female piano player, chap on double bass and another lass on a violin. Out of this world

Just do not spill your drink over the balustrade!!

Memories eh!

• Upvote 2

All Aussie wines in huge barrels behind the bar. Some right wierdo's there. Sawdust on the floor, spivs, toms and what have you. Upstairs a three piece band consisting of a female piano player, chap on double bass and another lass on a violin. Out of this world

Memories eh!

Because it's on Long Row West?

Also try looking up The Talbot :)

The Talbot Trio were the musicians. Yates's used to have a cheap form of champers I believe which was on draught. I remember being. face down on one of the copper topped tables and trying to suck it up. I think it was either my 20th or 21st birthday pi55 up. I'd had rather a lot of beer prior to visiting Yates's, This was mid 60's, and might have been the prelude to the unfortunate episode later in the evening at the Calypso Club. Can't quite remember, but nevertheless, another fun night where anything goes. Good "harmless" pranks which youngsters would never get away with now. Great days indeed. Down side was I virtually ruined my dark blue full length leather coat. Never mind.

Memories eh!

I remember everything you mention...especially the sawdust on the floor and barrels of Australian wine on the shelves behind the long bar. I did hear they used the bar to make part of a cowboy film...don't know how true this is though. Can you remember the little snug in the alley just behind the balcony bar. The trio played there for years and years. I remember once a year on some kind of Yates's anniversary, they sold for one day, a special bottle of port. I used to go and buy a bottle for my Aunt from the little shop on I think it was Market Street.

Used to hit Yatesy's last thing before closing time with my future brother in law then hit the nightclubs where booze was too expensive.

Couple of Aussie white wines got rid of the nerves of a naive young fellow I was at the time and gave me courage to get up and boogy :-).

Mind don't think the white wine had ever seen Australia but sure was rocket fuel on top of 3 pints of larger.

• Upvote 2

Anne, You're giving yourself away - the little snug behind the bar indeed!!

Only went a few times before I joined the army.

Is the interior just the same I wonder.

Your last para Banjo48 I am sure is right. Certainly never saw Australia me thinks