metal detecting

hi, all, have just started, in the metal detecting hobby, would like to contact anyone in the nottingham area, who as the same interest, thanking you.

A work mate took up metal detecting with one or two successes, one Saturday he thought he had hit the jackpot when his detector went mad, he spent most of the afternoon digging and following the sounds on his detector, after a couple of hours digging and a lot of sweat one of the guy's he was digging with pointed out to him he was wearing steel toe capped work boots and the detector was alarming on them, he's been the butt of many a joke since then, true story

Rog

Hi saxn 49

I have ben metal detecting for nearly 30 years with my trusty old C-scope never really found much apart from an old deeactivated grenade on land near Calverton, stiill trying though when heealth allows

fch782c

Great strong magnets can be recovered from old microwave ovens Mick!! Strip out the magnatron, there are two circular magnets around the magnatrons cavity...Be careful when you get them apart not to trap your flesh between the two magnets!!!! They are very powerful, I use them to locate dropped steel nuts and screws.

Nowhere near the strength of magnatron magnets, these are the most powerful of magnets until you reach the "rare earth" types.

ccrrect me if im wrong ayupmeduks but isnt it a little risky dismantling a microwave oven? dont you risk glowing in the dark

Some ovens have those stupid security screws, easy fixed with a screwdriver to break off the centre of them, usually torx screws or Phillips heads.

What danger would there be in stripping essentially what is an SHF transmitter???? I've stripped no end of them for the plate transformers. The only dangers with micro wave ovens is when they are powered up and switched on, and then only if you defeat the door interlocks and have the door open, then expect cataracts or severe RF burns.

Once you have it open Mick, you should be able to identify the magnatron pretty easily, there's hardly anything in the oven...LOL

The magnets are held in place around the magnetron by a plate, usually four phillips head screws hold the plate in position.

Like I say, be careful, they are VERY powerful, make sure when you part them not to get your skin trapped between them!!

hi, all, have just started, in the metal detecting hobby, would like to contact anyone in the nottingham area, who as the same interest, thanking you.

I should put you in contact with my wife ! She has an amazing ability to detect metal....and paper...and small pieces of numbered plastic....

thats why I am always broke !

• Upvote 1

Beryllium oxides been around a long time Mick, used to used in heat sink compound and parts of ceramic tubes, (valves).. Heat sink compound now is a safer material, but still used in ceramic tubes, absolutely safe as long as you don't file it to cause powder or dust to form...

As for discharging the cap, there is a discharge resistor across it, besides, if it's an old oven, it will have been sitting around for a long time and the cap will have discharged moons ago.

Just another point Mick, there;s no need to disassemble the magnatron that far, as in the video, you're only after those two magnets...