Blackberry Vinegar

I have just been reading Katyjay's recipe for Ginger Beer,i remember Dad feeding his lovingly,when we were all at home,and the end result was delicious,

He used to make something else that i am sure he called Blackberry Vinegar,I can't even remember if we liked it,Would it have been medicinal, Has anyone any recollection of this as it seems most of us have similar memories on what our parents fed us on!

Got a bottle in my cupboard and a bottle of raspberry vinegar too. My Mum used to make both of them when we were kids and they were used medicinally. (Along with red currant and black currant vinegar too)

I use mine in odd recipes. I've just put a couple of tablespoons into my Elderflower Champagne instead of the required white wine vinegar. I just thought I'd try an experiment !

PSSSTT thanks for the memory jog, the recipe calls for two tablespoons, as I've made a 'double batch' I need to put in another couple of spoons full !!

Steven, I had to think about that one for the penny to drop, (Hey where did that saying originate)

Beefsteak,My mother in law used to make all her own wine,you name it she made it,Her Parsnip and Also Damson were good stuff,I learned the hard way how potent it was.

:cheers:

Hi Plantfit

On a Sunday (the only day we had pud) mam made a Yorkshire pud in a big tin,it was heavier than the kind you have on you'r dinner,we would cut it off in squares and have the blackberry vinegar poured on,thanks for the reminder,i did wonder if it was just our family who did that,we did use it medicinally as well.

"we did use it medicinally as well."..............................................I'd heard that Yorkshire Puds made great poultices :rotfl:

HurtHead.jpg

In Yorkshire, it was Raspberry vinegar which was poured over the Yorkshire pud, this being eaten as the first course of your Sunday Roast dinner, in the hope that you were too full to eat much of the meat and veg after!

Raspberry vinegar was also well known in the Mansfield area for the same epicurean delight on the Yorkshire, Mrs C's grandma being a strong adherent of the delicacy. (couldn't stand it myself).

I didn't like it either,but i love Yorkshire Pudding,When i was a teenager i worked on Alfred St North and my Grandma lived on Vicarage St,at lunchtime she cooked a meal,I would have a starter of 5 tall light Y-puds and gravy and not much dinner after,i didn't care,i'd had the best part.

its very easy to make3 ingreadients needed piggy makes raspberry, strawberry and blackberry to his mums resipe, usually sells at 2.50p per bottlethe hardest part is picking the fruit.

uses on icecream, pancakes , yorkshire pudding or in various resipies, good for sore tonisilitis ect i take one tablespoon per day in winter .

Talking of vinegar based products, I'm just in the process of making up a batch of 'pickled eggs'.

Stew some blackberrys and add to vinegar with a little sugar..............simples.

A little off topic, but when we had Yorkshire pud as a pudding, mam would either drop strawberries or cut-up rhubarb in the batter before cooking, and we'd sprinkle sugar on it before eating.

Chopped apple does nicely too - or thinly sliced apple well-coated in batter and fried makes very nice apple fritters.

For Yorkshire pud as a pudding, we always either sprinkled sugar on top, or spread a spoonful of jam on it. A variation on the sugar is butter followed by sugar. Golden syrup is another possibility but can be a bit sickly-sweet.

Yorkies with golden syrup were called "Pop overs" in our household.

our resipe is a little diferent for each pound of fruit you need one pint white vinigar and one pound of sugar. place washed fruit in a container leave to stand for 10 days stirring daily on the final day place in pan adding sugar bring to the biol and simmer for 20 mins allow to cool sive through muslim cloth squeezing out as much of the juice as you can place in small sterilized bottles. we get most of our bottles free from the pub small screw toped wine bottles are great we use milton baby bottle sterilizer once bottles have been washed rinced and dried place on stilizer over night piggy made over 40 bottles last yearstill got about 12 left so we will not be doing any this year.

My mum used to make Rasberry vinegar as she grew loads of rasberrys.

It was wonderful for sore throats and that horrible scratchy tight cough, my kids grew up on it as I did.