Ghost Advertising Signs

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now on show bottom of Hockley now that Berlins/Uncle Sams/Woolworth? been bashed down.

This old sign has reappeared after being covered for years by an advertising hoarding. It’s on a wall at the bottom end of Forest Road West, near the junction with Alfreton Road. It’s pointing to Skil

Today Arnold Road Old Basford   

Posted Images

got this off google earth, not the best pic but it does show an old painted sign at the bottom of nottingham road

qx5sgw.jpg

i've been meaning to take a proper picture of this for about 2 years now!

it seems that the green band has been painted over an earlier painted sign, if you look closely above the white circle you can just make out letters with their top parts lost under the green.

if someone could get a proper picture maybe we could work out what the letters were.

• Upvote 1

Always remember one on the side of a house near Midland Magneto Broad Marsh which read "Beds for the night 6d" that was there in the late 60s early 70s, probably long gone now, also rode passed one in Grantham last Sunday at a junction just passed Alma park heading into Grantham, something about hand made leather goods

Rog

I've seen that sign on Nottingham Road many times and I knew what it advertised,but the old memory cells just can't recall it.My job many years ago was finding sites for advertising boards.As you will have noticed a modern company has now got a board on this site.They are like rocking horse **** nowadays and much sought after.

Gable ends in the old days didn't need planning permission for advertising,and if you can recall particularly in St Anns there were dozens of these.All long gone now,and there's no way planning is given for advertising on gable ends on the modern estates.

This makes these sites very valuable to the industry especially on busy main roads.That's why temporary boards are seen surrounding building sites...it's worth their while to get planning and have these boards in place,even if just for a few months.

Years ago house owners were paid a peppercorn rent of a few pounds a year for the use of their wall.Today many of the companies still only pay pennies for the site and houseowners don't realise that they can get big money for the use of a wall in a good position.

If you have one of these properties,phone and tell 'em to remove it or make a sensible offer...they will quibble they have a contract for God knows how many years.But that's just bunkum.......it would easily pay your council tax if it's a good site.

I find that villages are a good source of Ghost advertising. Kelham and Collingham are good examples, where small local shops have closed down.

• 1 year later...

Bump

I have just been watching 'BBC Midlands Today' and there was a story about the fading 'Ghost Signs' around West Midlands. Particularly Birmingham way. Some one has decided it is time to try to save them. Not a bad idea, preserving a bit of History. Trouble is some of the buildings showing these old Painted signs are in such a bad state. They look next on the list for demolition.

Driving past our old 'Beer Off' on a daily routine it is very sad to see the building so neglected. It once housed all of the colours of Mitchells and Butlers. Red , Brown and Cream.

The Ghost sign now reduced to a peeling cream square high on the wall. It's quite a sad sight now. It's quite surprising how many of these signs do still remain, particularly in the old parts of town. It would be nice to see them renewed, and also to see if the item being advertised is still available. Aaaah progress :)

It's Ilkeston Road 1952 building almost certainly demolished mid 1970s

carni if you go to "Picture the past"

And type in the search such words as Radford, Sneinton or St Ann's there are 100s of similar photos

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php

• Upvote 1

p.s. re Bubblewrap's link, I have a feeling they may not all be Nottingham signs.........

The ghost signs link are from all over the world my intention was to give some nice examples

The picture the past link are mainly Nottingham(& shire) with a few from Derbyshire.

• Upvote 1

One sign that always used to interest me was visible for many years when travelling from Nottingham Midland station in the Loughborough direction. It read, "Furniss Bros. Hog Salesmen"; don't know if it's still there, I always assumed it was some sort of livestock business associated with the Cattle Market.

Can anyone shed any light on it, and does it still exist?

That rings a bell with me. Where exactly was it?

On the left as you came out of the station, no more than 150 yards from the Carrington Street bridge. Memory's a bit faded now but ISTR it was a black sign with white writing.