Ghost Advertising Signs

10-12 years ago I took a few photos of advertising/business signs which had been painted on buildings many years ago. People don't seem to do that any more, so it's all gradually disappearing. Older viewers here may remember some of the shops or businesses which are being advertised.

I've had a look on Streetview and at the moment, most of these have survived, although a bit more faded.

LOST DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now on show bottom of Hockley now that Berlins/Uncle Sams/Woolworth? been bashed down.

This old sign has reappeared after being covered for years by an advertising hoarding. It’s on a wall at the bottom end of Forest Road West, near the junction with Alfreton Road. It’s pointing to Skil

Today Arnold Road Old Basford   

Posted Images

Great to see. Maybe businesses just lasted longer in the days of painted on signs than they seem to do today. Shame to see some of the stores and buildings boarded up. I'm sure they could still be spruced up and made useful again.

for 17 years I worked in D*rby.

There is a corner shop on Chester Green that has a faded sign above the door.

Just the words Radio Times in a Red Triangle. must be 50s or 60s?

For 17 years I never got round to photographing it!

I remember the 2 Lincoln St signs, The Midland bank was still open post 1970 but not ure for how long after, the flat(s) above were still lived in 1990's maybe still are? The Able sign was on end wall of a block of shops near David Lane, think it relates to a short lived gardening service? though at one time there was also a double glazed window on that wall with advert for another short lived dream

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's current but not a faded one but the best one around at the moment has to be the one in Sherwood on the corner of Winchester Street, it shows what can be done.

• 2 months later...

piggys mum was born in 1916 above a shop on whatnall rd hucknal and brought up for about 10 years in that shop owned and run by her grand motheras her own mum died at the end of the war when daves mum was just two years old we have a photo piggys mum and her grandma taken 1919/1920ish on the doorstep of this shop on the side of the shop was a sighn for hardeys ales a few years ago 4 or 5 years ago we took a modern photo of the shop then the spar shop now i think call one stop , just above the police station this sighn could still clearly be seen despite having been painted over several times over the years, the man who owned it at the time told us his parents brought the shop from grannie in 1946 although she had rented the property for some time before that to someone else to run for her. he told us he had lived there since he was six years old and one of his jobs as a young man was to paint over this sighn and it was the bain of his life .because he could never fully paint it out. i wonder how many sighns painted today will still be visible in 90 pluss years time.

doggie daycare if you like weirdos you certainly will fit in well here a warm welcome to you and look forward to seeing your posts.

Babs, you amaze me with your many & varied posts, in response to so many different items on these forums. It appears that you and/or piggy know someone, or knows someone that knows someone, in jus about ever area of Nottingham....................a true Nottstalgian................long may you post, always interesting to hear your remininscences, keep up the good work!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: slywink

• Upvote 2

paulus it come from me comming from a big family and working within the community both in a voluntary or paid capacity i met many people and did many things and ocourse i have lived in nottingham for over 60 yearsand i like talking to people and finding out out there interests as well as my own interests in local and social history and my family history around nottingham back to late 1700s.some people would just say i am nosy but i call it interested, working with old people and children has enriched my life and my knowledge. plus of course i am lucky to have a realy good memory and this certainly helps

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I'd love to see some of the posters that Mansfield Brewery did back in the 80's.

Picture of Gorbachev with the caption - 'He might be president of Russia, but he's never had a pint of Mansfield's.

Or the kamikaze pilot with the caption - 'I'll have one when I get back'.

There was also a similar one with Reagan on it "He may be president of the most powerful nation in the world, but he's never had a pint of Mansfield"

IMMSC he had one presented to him on a visit to our fair shores.

There is one for Apollo Drinks on a house in North Clifton (nr Newark). The house used to be the village pub.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one for Apollo Drinks on a house in North Clifton (nr Newark). The house used to be the village pub.

Here you go ! Been past it a few times & today was in the village & took a picture.!

p1000579-web_zps84c5d79a.jpg

Top of North Sherwood Street almost opposite the Jewish Cemetery building could have once been a shop with advert faded but still visible painted on the brickwork.

https://goo.gl/maps/3tcGL6LAKNS2

Can't see that via Google...only the old garage.The Jewish cemetery...strange place,like a secret garden.Given to the Jews by Nottingham Corporation in 1823 (ish) In those days it was all fields there and windmills on Forest Road.A million people must have walked past the place and not known it was there.

Poohbear, have a look on the northern wall of the white building at 274 North Sherwood Street....an old sign 'Ales & Stouts'.

I see it now...

One of the few remaining old houses a few yards down the road was the home of my Gt Grandfather and his family in the 1870s.He must have walked past that building countless times on his way to work at a lace factory on Peveril Street.

Here you go ! Been past it a few times & today was in the village & took a picture.!

Thanks Catfan. I'd found it on Google earth but haven't got round to learning how to upload photos yet.....(read how to, just got to set it all up)