Ghost Advertising Signs

Accidentally came across another sign which is incomplete

sign3.jpg

What's noticeable about it, is that it's up an alleyway called Packer's Place, close to a second-hand book shop which has been mentioned here more than once.

sign2.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now on show bottom of Hockley now that Berlins/Uncle Sams/Woolworth? been bashed down.

This old sign has reappeared after being covered for years by an advertising hoarding. It’s on a wall at the bottom end of Forest Road West, near the junction with Alfreton Road. It’s pointing to Skil

Today Arnold Road Old Basford   

Posted Images

There was a Dog & Gun Inn on Mansfield Rd .certainly in the late 1880s

Dog & Gun 207, Mansfield Road.

That's the closed shop to the right of Packers Place

Wright's directory of Nottingham 1898/99

Was still a public house in 1925

But in 1928 it was:

Culverthorpe Dairy Farms. (Kelly's directory)

And before renumbering number 145, Mansfield Road.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to explore the cellars of the shops that side of Mansfield Road...many must have access or bricked up entrances to the many caves that existed when it was just sandhills.

There were many dug out there and on Derby Road even before the sand mines...the land was gradually levelled and filled over the years.

Picture titled 'Foot of Gallows Hill'

k2mzp4.jpg

Link to my photo album of ghost advertising signs throughout Nottingham and beyond using Google Earth to see what remains of the ghost advertising signs mentioned on this forum and ones i have been told about. There are also a couple of my own photos of the Pickford Warehouse from Nottingham Castle and the recent discovery of the former pub advert on Mansfield Road.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105294923244958439791/albums/6122137357096812913

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Walking down Wollaton Street earlier this week only to discover two Ghost Signs sat on top of each other within the same building. Both relate to past businesses who I think formally traded out of Derby Road so this was rear signage. Not vintage examples but interesting nevertheless.

Sorry about the quality of pics, only had a phone camera to work with and had to navigate the busy traffic to get a fix on the subjects.

I remember Whistle and Flute Outfitters they were certainly trading up until the 80's

and possibly later.

Whistle%20and%20Flute_zpstxy2aat1.jpg

Halls DIY I am less certain about and the signage here is very basic maybe done by the owner themselves. Were these pre the Homebase\Focus\B&Q age?

HALL%20DIY_zpslpgtvakp.jpg

Any recollections of these enterprises?

• Upvote 1

That is cool you can see the two signs together with that view. My W&F shot is near the green bins.

I didn't notice either the separate signage for W&F on the wooden doors.

Whistle and Flute I recall as being a stack them high and sell them cheap type operation, mainly if not all off the peg.

Situated half way between Maid Marian Way and Canning Circus.

Heres the Home Ales ghost sign on the back off the Unity office building across the road from the railway stationPics_Art_1427279484075.jpg i

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A little bit of Googling turns up that 69A Mansfield Rd was occupied by the Stubbs family from the late Victorian age through to the early 1900s as various types of retailing operations from confectioners through cycle shop to electricians. Our archivists can no doubt consult their directories to check the relevant dates.

Just to be completely obsessive about the site have found out that by 1950s it was a Cash Till saleroom another shop and trade you don't see around too often nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...