Welcome mrfoxxy .

Funnily enough our local Wetherspoons seems to be the local creche for the young mums and their babies . There are lots of pushchairs but fortunately the place is the size of an aircraft hanger so its not really a problem !

As Kids in the early 1960's the only time we were taken into a Pub was after Goose Fair, we all climbed up a steep embankment, not sure what the pub was called, but it had a sort of "Yard" with a bit of a bowling alley, and Dad always bought mum a "Tom Collins" we kids had Fanta, and a bag crisps each, with the little blue pack of salt in the bottom.

mr foxxy, was this in the daytime you saw all the kids? Just wondered if the pub did something for mothers and toddlers for certain hours of the day, just to get folks in there when it's normally quiet?

Welcome mrfoxxy .

Funnily enough our local Wetherspoons seems to be the local creche for the young mums and their babies . There are lots of pushchairs but fortunately the place is the size of an aircraft hanger so its not really a problem !

Which is interesting as a few years ago Wetherspoons was the one place children were not allowed in, well in Newark anyway.

I think the issue is not that kids are allowed in, its the lack of parental control while doing so. Too many young parents nowadays just leave the kids to their own resources while they chat and consume alcohol.

I personally love flying home to Perth W australia (I travel full time in oz) to see my kids and grandkids and we normally go to a restaurant for a family gathering at tea time, usually around 17 of us and growing !

But my kids and their kids have been brought up the old fashioned way and are not allowed to run around or cause disruption to others.

Taking scooters to a pub/restaurant is just not on ! my grand-kids usually take some colouring books or their electronic games things and are generally very good.

The other issue is the timing, we never go out with the younger kids after maybe 6.30pm after that IMO it is adults only time.

• Upvote 2

Used to work in a pub that became busy over the weekend's for food etc. I didn't mind having kids in the bar area, I was usually the one telling parents to controll their kids! I once caught a little boy behind the bar trying to find crisps, unfortunately for him they used to be in the room behind the bar where the glass washer was. It's not allways the kids fault, sometimes parents don't show them how to behave when theyre out! At the age of 21months, my daughter sits nicely and says please and thank you + when she does kick off I'm forever saying sorry to people around me

• Upvote 4

No problem with kids in pubs...if it's a separate room.They should only be licenced for kids if they have one.Simple enough to have a 'Child Friendly' sign in the window.

No sign...no kids...Not rocket science is it?

No problem with kids in pubs...if it's a separate room.They should only be licenced for kids if they have one.Simple enough to have a 'Child Friendly' sign in the window.

No sign...no kids...Not rocket science is it?

Spot on Poohbear.................Childrens rooms in pubs have been around since the late 60's, especially at the seaside, I recall The Eagle at Mablethorpe had one in the 60's

Spot on Poohbear.................Childrens rooms in pubs have been around since the late 60's, especially at the seaside, I recall The Eagle at Mablethorpe had one in the 60's

And when, as a child, you went into one of those kids rooms, you felt "grown-up" sipping your bottle of pop through a straw.

As I recall, Jamaica Inn on Dartmoor was another one which allowed children into their own special room.

Duke of St Albans had one in Rise Park...but the rules were petty.There was a bar in there, but they couldn't serve booze.You had to walk back outside..(rain/snow, not very clever) Re enter the pub via another door,and when you got to the bar it was the same barmaid you just spoke to.

You got your ale then had to walk back outside with it,and naturally all the doors were hinged so you had to pull them with your hands full...then back into the kids room....where the very same barmaid was there serving lemonade.I asked her why she couldn't just pass the ale through from the other side..."Not allowed!"..... Who the hell dreamed that up?

It's all licensing laws, I'm afraid, same as the pub I ran in town only had a restaurant license, which meant customers had to be served by a waitress and weren't allowed at the bar.

The doors being 'pull only' from the outside is a H and S rule regarding access and egress from the premises, ie , if you're in a hurry to get everybody out in an emergency it's a lot easier for them to push the door open than it is to pull it.

Hence the reason pubs have 'free doors' (Just need a push to open them) and restaurants etc tend to have a 'turn handle' (and you can thank the IRA for that one !)

We allowed children into the pub till 7pm. After that if you had your kids with you, you sat outside while they play on the park. I take my daughter into pubs that serve food, there shouldn't be a problem with kids being in them during the day, as long as the parents keep them in line

Our last visit to Plank & Leggit Sawley the kid at the table next to us playing with a glass of coke managed to chuck it off the table smashed on the floor,showering us with broken glass and coke!

(P&L has consistently bad food and slow service in the food being brought to table!)

There were many pubs around Blue Bell hill /Alfred St.area. The one thing that remains in my mind from the late 40`s early 50`s was the large numbers of kids left outside the pubs to play on the street whist their parents were otherwise occupied inside. My parents used to drink mostly at working men`s clubs,which seemed good value and kids seemed to be welcome.

I wonder how such huge numbers of pubs survived.