Karl and the Heidelburgers

I just saw the name above in another thread, and it brought back memories from either 70/80s of some raucous nights out at Blue Anchor, Englemells and also at a dance at the fire station Carlton,We went to the Beer Keller in Notts a few times but cant remember if they were there as well,Some great nights out when the oompah bands were all the rage,danced on many tables and fallen off a few as well.Remember this.................................EIN PROSIT :cheers:

Yep Carnie they were at the Bier Keller. We used to go on a Sunday Night, I remember well the bratwurst and steins of lager.....and standing on the benches

Have The bier Kellers finished altogether,or have you still got the one in Nottingham,I haven't seen one for years.We had such a laugh, tho very occasionally

I did see some trouble at the end of the night ,perhaps that was why they don't seem to be around anymore.

The bier kellar in Nottingham became the mardi gras in about 1983

I worked there for a while in the mid 80s

We went to one in Sheffield once , my mate bust his ankles as we went to catch the coach home.

He jumped over what he thought was just a barrier in the middle of the road, ait turned out to be a ruddy great underpass! !!!

,That is such a frightening thing to happen,I have read about this kind of thing in the news,i hope you're friend made a full recovery,

Some of the best nights in bier kellers that we have had ,were at Butlins Skegness,with Baron Wolfgangs Baverian Oompah Band,in the 1980s,looking back at photo,s,i am surprised we didn't all have more injuries,i remember one night when we were all swaying and standing up and sitting back down,as we sat down the bench had tipped over and we all ended up on the floor,i had an injury to my elbow that lasted about 10years,It did seem like fun at the time,Ah well you live and learn. LoL :crazy:

I was a regular at the Bier Keller, knew Pete Hubbard and Trevor very well, was a great night out and there was very rarely any trouble, later on, I worked the door for a while with my wife's brother Roy and Trevor.

On the occasional time there was any rumpus it was usually a visiting group who were "stretching their legs" in another town, so to speak.

I was a long term member of the Shtotokan karate club in Nottm and we had a regular Thursday night booking at one of the front side tables.

Our chief instructor, Mr Shiro Asano would occasionally accompany us too after training, where he would consume large quantities of Lowenbrau beer before we all went back to his flat in the Mapperley park where he would cook up a meal and we would party on. Great times !

Cannot remember their names but a couple of the waitress's were telephonists from the Longbow exchange on Bath street. So I knew them from work as I too worked for BT.

Overall they were a great crowd in there and we had some amazing nights, especially when Chris Astley (radio trent) came and did a session or some other personality of the day.

Karl was a great entertainer and knew how to please a crowd, from his Fables days and then then the keller.

Then for some strange reason the scene just died a death and customers gradually stopped coming, never really understood why.

Pete and Trev started another club somewhere on St James street I think, but that too was not a sucess like the old keller.

Maybe the drink driving laws and money becoming tight, or possibly we all just grew up !

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was working at MFI when the Bier Kellar opened, we were open until 9 on Friday nights and could hear the noise from upstairs. I remember the manager once standing on a table and banging on the ceiling with a brush after our customers were complaining - not that they could have possibly heard it! We would go there on a Thursday night, used to call them Karl and the Idlebu**ers. Had some really good times, pity the disappeared without trace. Went on a coach trip to the one at Sheffield once, wasn't there a night club close by called the Fiesta?

I must get my "photo Albums" out and find my Bier Kellar photo, taken in the late 1970s, SueB48, me and my twin sisters, plus friends having a good time. Photo taken by Chris, the only fellow with about 10 girls. He loved it. The girls were all in their late teens, the twins are 12 years younger than us but we all got on great. We used to enjoy going out on the town, when we visited Nottingham, and the Bier Kellar was brilliant.

• Upvote 2

I never saw Karl in the 'Heidleburgers and can only guess at what that particular scene was all about. :) I left Nottm before it all happened.

However, i did dozens of 'gigs' with Carl's Fables, mostly at the 360, but at other places too. We had them booked for a regular Sunday night spot at the 360.

Sadly, as reported elsewhere on here, Carl passed away last year.

Col

#13 Oh yes Carni please do that.

I have so many brilliant memories "down the Keller," As mentioned above, Chris Ashley (the mouth) but underneath that exterior a great bloke, Karl, just the perfect "showman", and the rest of the crew. Great times never to be repeated.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, I've only just found this site.  So sad to hear of Carl's passing, he was so much fun.  For the last couple of weeks, I've been teaching my little granddaughter "Lean forwards, lean backwards" and she loves it as much as her Nana did back in the day.  I used to go to the Bier Keller often and there used to always be a prize for the noisiest table,  After it shut I saw Karl and the Heidleburgers at various gigs and they were often at our village hall.  One time, we were all on the chairs and tables doing Music Man when Carl suddenly stopped the band, looked at us all and said "They shut the Bier Keller because they said people are too sophisticated for it now days and just look at you lot!" Happy days. Ein Prosit (Never did know how to spell it) :-)

• Upvote 1

My first date with Chris (my husband of 40 years) was at the bierkeller in May 1975! Romantic  or what - his brothers were there (as it was one of the brothers birthday) - it was my first time there and as a 17 year old - the drink took hold very quickly - I had to be carried out !!!