Checked out EBay for your trombone playing Golliwog Golly and although I did not find one, I was amazed at the number of Gollies on sale. All manner of characters, male and female, various modes of employment, sport etc and ranging from the vintage McRobertsons Jams original up through the years to the late 90s.

Who remembers opening the McRobertsons Jam or Marmalade jar back in the 50s and inside, laying on the top of a clear plastic disc covering the jam, was a little paper Golliwog Golly, coloured and almost as tall as the diameter of the jar?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All them bleddy word games again, send for Cliff Ton, he'll know what to do !

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you so much. The original page used to be a sort-of yellow colour but white is OK. Just so pleased that all those people are no longer staring at me!!

That topic was removed, by another staff member, as a result of a complaint. I have said before here, when some wanted the political area removed from our site, that we try to strike a balance betwee

Paper gollies were in Robertsons jam or marmalade jars in the late 50s and even into the early 60s.

It was these that you collected, 6 or so, sent in to Robertsons and got a Golly Badge.

As for age, quite a presumption on your part and besides, under the new political correctness on this Forum and in your newly appointed capacity as Forum Supervisor, would you please advise if any reference to age is acceptable since it has been determined, along with any reference to one's race, colour etc. to be another form of discrimination...........?

Wouldn't want to see any issues under the new rules and regime..... :rotfl:

• Upvote 2

Trevor, I was thinking we had to piggle the label off the jar to send in for our little gollies! As for the reference of your age, I apologise for being so presumptuous old boy!

Trevor, I was thinking we had to piggle the label off the jar to send in for our little gollies! As for the reference of your age, I apologise for being so presumptuous old boy!

You young scamp, LizzieM! Piggling the Gollie label off the jar was apparently a 60s thing but back in the good old days of the late 50s, they were in the jars...you can trust me, little girl, really!

By the way, liked the word 'piggling' and had not heard it for ages.

More than one meaning these days though - try Google :Shock:

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Hiya, Can anyone advise me on my problem. I have noticed that when I get on to Nottstalgia, the opening page looks different. I have two signs for Forums, which stand out and two for Members and no Calendar or Portal signs. Not sure if it is something I have clicked accidently. Can anyone help :huh: Please

I get the same.

Its a skin fault, Christmas Skin (quite old now) not matching with latest version of Forum software?

It will go away after Christmas.

Paper gollies were in Robertsons jam or marmalade jars in the late 50s and even into the early 60s.

It was these that you collected, 6 or so, sent in to Robertsons and got a Golly Badge.

As for age, quite a presumption on your part and besides, under the new political correctness on this Forum and in your newly appointed capacity as Forum Supervisor, would you please advise if any reference to age is acceptable since it has been determined, along with any reference to one's race, colour etc. to be another form of discrimination...........?

Wouldn't want to see any issues under the new rules and regime..... :rotfl:

IIRC the paperGolliwogs were tucked behind the jam jar label. ? I recently found by enamel skater and I still have a few pottery Golliwogs somewhere. Something else Inshall have to try and find

Thanks Mick. I have been signing in and out and I have noticed that it is Ok, when I get Nottstalgia up, but as soon as I sign in, it goes weird. It was Ok yesterday. When I sign in I get Two Forum and Two Member signs.

It's fine until I sign In? At one stage today when I wanted to check for birthdays, I couldn't because there was no Calendar or Portal option. BUT. They are back now. I'm not concerned now because it seems others have the same thing!

carnie, and anyone else interested, I have never signed-in or signed-out, and everything usually works OK. I just click on the Nottstalgia address that is in the listing of my usual website visit addresses.

• Upvote 1