I'd always wondered where that word 'Shonki' or Shonky' came from.

Probably no connection but I remember when I was a kid there was a fellah that played for Arnold St. Mary's football team in the old Midland league with the name Peter 'Shonkey' Burton. He was never known as anything else but Shonkey.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me dad worked down the owd skonky as did all his family(amongst other pits).....as a nipper me dad used to walk me around the area and tell me his tales....he told me about the crush he had on the gir

Proper mesters

i think shonky pit was in the area behind the top house pub there was some burning slag heaps there in the 60s

Shonkey meant poorly made, bit of a mess etc..

Don't know how Newcastle Colliery got that name though, but it was situated somewhere not too far from the centre of Bullwell. There was a backroad from Hucknall number1 pit going past the tips and came out near the bus terminus Number?? I walked that path many times when I was at the training centre, Hucknall number1, and never realised I had walked through "Shonkey" pit top area.

...came out near the bus terminus  Number??

35...NCT

Cheers

Robt P.

Are you sure about that route number Rob?? Doesn't sound right to me, but it was over 40 years back now.

That was the service that ran from Bulwell Market to Northern Cemetery

Reckon that would be the bus that ran the nearest to the pit...

Didn't all the other Bulwell buses run via the Market Place and then north or south down the A611, or to and from Highbury Vale/Basford etc?

Contradictory brainwave:

NCT 55 service to Cantelupe Road/Bulwell Hall Park...that also could be the one you mention :sorry:

Cheers

Robt P.

John,

Having reread this thread on 'Shonki' Pit some doubt seems to remain as to its exact location.

Alan's early post talks of 'Blenheim' which would make it virtually adjacent to the back of Babbington/Cinderhill Collieries...you refer walking past it whilst walking from Hucknall No 1 - did that walk have the the Northern Cemetery to your left?

Sense I'm confusing myself by thinking it was somewhere near to Sankeys Brick Works...when it clearly was not.

Alan might have some more info'.

Cheers

Robt P.

John,

Having reread this thread on 'Shonki' Pit some doubt seems to remain as to its exact location.

Alan's early post talks of 'Blenheim' which would make it virtually adjacent to the back of Babbington/Cinderhill Collieries...you refer walking past it whilst walking from Hucknall No 1 - did that walk have the the Northern Cemetery to your left?

Sense I'm confusing myself by thinking it was somewhere near to Sankeys Brick Works...when it clearly was not.

Alan might have some more info'.

Cheers

Robt P.

I can only go by what I have read Rob. To save on bus fares I sometimes walked the footpath through the tips of Hucknall number 1, it came out onto Hucknall Lane in Bulwell close to the NCT bus terminus.

Usually I caught the Trent bus at the corner of Watnall Road and Portland Road in Hucknall.

I understood Shonkey Pit, AKA Newcastle Colliery was south of Hucknall, near Bulwell, in the same area as all the tips from Hucknall.

Reckoning that the only NCT terminus around Hucknall Lane would have been the No 3 or 17? (Carey Road), near the Futurist cinema.

Further up Hucknall Road (beyond Moorbridge) was the 44 trackless turn around at the 'Bone Mill'...

Cheers

Robt P.

Reckoning that the only NCT terminus around Hucknall Lane would have been the No 3 or 17? (Carey Road), near the Futurist cinema.

Further up Hucknall Road (beyond Moorbridge) was the 44 trackless turn around at the 'Bone Mill'...

Cheers

Robt P.

44 sounds more like it Rob.

The 41 turned immediately before the gates...

Surely all the Trent Bridge 'turners' did so at this same place?

The half-moons at the road sides were there up until a few years ago.

Cheers

Robt P.

One of my favorite collectable items,

Superb...

There is a toy/model shop, on Newark's Castle Gate, which has many NCT 1:76 models on display.

They are of similar high quality and retail for £20 approx...buses and trolley buses from most routes, and eras.

I stand drooling whilst staring in the window, as if its the 50's and I'm wearing short trousers :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 months later...

interesting.. my parents have always told me there are mine shafts under our house! they dont live to far away from there..blenem(sp? dunno how to spell it, sorry.)

their house has had a little bit of subsidance too! theres a thin hair line crack in my bedroom wall! and i suppose there all like that were they live.. near bulwell hall park. (barkers wood i think it's called, i found that out the other day, after looking for bulwell online.)

but i didnt know that there was a mine near where they live!, i know next door said there used to be all fields where our houses are, and a farm or two.

i would love to see some photos of the area back then, :) but i have no idea where to get them from..

Hiya ive just looked online for bulwell pit, and it came up with this interesting site..

Bulwell history

I've read most of the site, and ive found out alot about Bulwell.. spring lake,,it seems connects with the old mines...? (the spring just past hucknall airport, you walk through bulwell woods to get to it,)

hope you find that interesting..i did.. :)

just found this document online,..

it goes into the detail of the mine i believe.. :)

Bulwell Shonky mine details

very interesting indeed.

i had to zoom in abit to read it. :)

• 3 months later...

Me dad worked down the owd skonky as did all his family(amongst other pits).....as a nipper me dad used to walk me around the area and tell me his tales....he told me about the crush he had on the girl that lived at the pit house(still standing).....funny they all had nicknames in them days....me dads was "did it"....or "our did".....i used to work for thorn jasmin on the corner and more or less on the pit top

• Upvote 1

thats interesting, thank you for the map :)

i live local, so i must go past that house all the time on my scooter.. is that the house next to the main road, just before you get to the garage?

on the New Road, that goes past bulwell hall park & the old rufford school field. ( we call it the new road, but its been there along time, lol)

I like finding out about places where i live, i'm now living in Watnall so not too far away :)

I like collierys because my Grandad used to be a shot firer, my dad told me about what he used to do,

He did a stint at Gedling and Wollaton mines, as radford mine was connected to Wollaton mine by a long tunnel that went under the park, i believe?

but he didnt work there long.

my Grandad worked there during 1950s until the early 1960s, his name was Ronald Sanderson. :)

i wonder if the tunnels are still there?

but sadly he died of black lung in 1987, i knew him & loved him, but only how a small child can do, i was only young when i used to play with the toy cars they had, up and down their path, lol (always been a tom boy, playing with cars & cowboys and indians, little toy men..lol)

wish they were still around i miss them.

does anyone know if theres anywhere with photos of them coal mines on the internet?, as i'd love to see what it looked like, :) where he used to work.

i always wonder if anyone on here used to know my grandad? (or there relitives?) i'd be nice to hear tales about him, :)

thats interesting, thank you for the map :)

i live local, so i must go past that house all the time on my scooter.. is that the house next to the main road, just before you get to the garage?

on the New Road, that goes past bulwell hall park & the old rufford school field. ( we call it the new road, but its been there along time, lol)

I like finding out about places where i live, i'm now living in Watnall so not too far away :)

I like collierys because my Grandad used to be a shot firer, my dad told me about what he used to do,

He did a stint at Gedling and Wollaton mines, as radford mine was connected to Wollaton mine by a long tunnel that went under the park, i believe?

but he didnt work there long.

my Grandad worked there during 1950s until the early 1960s, his name was Ronald Sanderson. :)

i wonder if the tunnels are still there?

but sadly he died of black lung in 1987, i knew him & loved him, but only how a small child can do, i was only young when i used to play with the toy cars they had, up and down their path, lol (always been a tom boy, playing with cars & cowboys and indians, little toy men..lol)

wish they were still around i miss them.

does anyone know if theres anywhere with photos of them coal mines on the internet?, as i'd love to see what it looked like, :) where he used to work.

i always wonder if anyone on here used to know my grandad? (or there relitives?) i'd be nice to hear tales about him, :)

Try my mining forum Sam, there are links and photos. As soon as I get my but into gear, I'll be photographing the Clifton Colliery abandonment plans, these show where in relation to the surface roads/streets/buildings the workings were, including Wollaton Collieries workings under the northern suburbs of the city.

The address is http://coalmine.proboards23.com/v45index.cgi?

Try my mining forum Sam, there are links and photos. As soon as I get my but into gear, I'll be photographing the Clifton Colliery abandonment plans, these show where in relation to the surface roads/streets/buildings the workings were, including Wollaton Collieries workings under the northern suburbs of the city.

The address is http://coalmine.proboards23.com/v45index.cgi?

got to say that your site is most excellent.....very intresting,informative,funny & sad .....as i`m probaly in the 1st genration of "Bulwell Caulton`s" not to av gone down`t`pit....i did go to moorgreen for me interveiw but when me dad found out he went mad.....and at that time i still feared his belt as it did come keen.....lol

got to say that your site is most excellent.....very intresting,informative,funny & sad .....as i`m probaly in the 1st genration of "Bulwell Caulton`s" not to av gone down`t`pit....i did go to moorgreen for me interveiw but when me dad found out he went mad.....and at that time i still feared his belt as it did come keen.....lol

Thanks, I think we are in our fourth year now, so tons of contributions.

I recall when I first applied to the NCB, I had the letter from them to attend an interview/written test and appointment for a medical. Dad used to read his Nottm Evening Post after dinner, broadsheet back then! "Errr Dad"

"Yeh, wotcha want"?

"Goin to work dahn pit'

"Ower my dead body"

Didn't say any more.

After I'd got the letter to be at Clifton Colliery at son and so date and time to sign on, I had to break the news to him and whatever came of it!

"Err Dad"

"Yeh wotcha want"

"Got a job as an apprentice electrician at Clifton Pit, can you sign the indentures please"

" You'll not like it, give em 'ere"

I was kind of shocked I got away with it!

I stuck it out and the mining industry gave me a damned good living over the years.

.....as i`m probaly in the 1st genration of "Bulwell Caulton`s" not to av gone down`t`pit...

Were you related to the late Ray Caulton from Highbury Vale, who died tragically young in the 70's/80's?

Former maths master at High Pavement and outstanding rugger player and golfer.

Cheers

Robt P.

thanks, i will have a look at your site :)

moorgreen... i live near there! well in watnall.. was there a mine there too?

this site is brilliant! :D

i would go back out on my scooter but i got soaked earlier.. coming back from tesco in hucknall.. horried weather.