Radio Trent July 1975 - January 2011 (RIP)

36 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Lizzie, wow, I can't believe John Holmes is still at Radio Nottingham. I remember him doing the lunchtime show back in the early 70s.

He’s doing Sunday mornings 9 til midday. Always does an hour interview 11 til 12 with a local ‘celeb’. I know him quite well, lovely man, it’ll be sad when he finally hangs up his mic.  

• Upvote 1

Back in 1973/4, I used to listen to Radio Nottingham at work on Saturday mornings. John Holmes and Ashley Franklin hosted a programme called Extravaganza, which was about the only place outside of Old Grey Whistle Test where you could hear prog rock.

And after the show, a crowd of us used to meet up with Ashley in the back bar of the Bell, with John occasionally dropping in for a pint (or three).

Remember John Shaw doing the Folk show on Trent before Castle Rock with Graham Neale. One show featured an interview with an author presumably David Clayton being a Nottingham man about a book about Paul Kossoff. Don't recall it coming out. Many years later morphed into Heavy Load a book about Free.

• Like 1

Hi HSR, I bought Heavy Load years ago, and only re read it last year. It should still be available on eBay or Amazon.

Its an smashing read, and gives a fascinating insight into one of the greatest groups of the 60's.

If I remember rightly, David Clayton come from Bilborough.

• Like 1

Fly2..yes I have it great read & the newer hardback version beautifully presented, signed by David Clayton & Simon  Kirke with the later addition of Paul Rodgers. Also have some of the Appreciation Society Fanzines.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2014 at 10:27 PM, mercurydancer said:

Going back to my student days, (1977ish) I worked at Nottingham Hospitals Radio and I am sure David Lloyd was there at the time. I was there the same time as Rob Wagstaff.

If I remember correctly, the station manager (who will remain nameless) and a few others got caught with their hands in the till.

I was at NHR from c.1980-1990. David Lloyd was there, as was his now partner Paul Robey, Rob Wagstaff and Andy Miller. This was a great training ground for radio and TV. Mark Shardlow BBC sports presenter was there too. Very happy days and I'm still and Honorary member after all this time. Happy days!

This thread seems to have morphed into Nottingham Hospital Radio!  I had a a few happy years there from around 1978 when it was changing from Radio City,  spent more hours there than at work!  Radio Trent were very supportive and when Tony Lloyd joined them from NHR he had to change his name to David because of clashing with Tony Lyneham.  One of my tasks at the City Hospital was to interview patients and staff using the Uher portable tape recorder, weighed a ton!   After editing the tape to remove all coughing etc. - had to take it down to Radio Trent for inclusion in one of their programs.  Made a lot of friends there, all volunteers, too many to mention.

I went to NHR at City Hospital on a couple of occasions around 78-79 to find out exactly what they did and see if I was interested in their activities.  I seem to remember the person in charge was a man named Barry Pierrepoint (?).

I ended up having an involvement with BBC Radio Nottm for the next few years, so I passed by NHR.

17 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

timgnottm.... I thoroughly enjoyed working there. Great fun. This was at the City hospital before it moved to QMC. David had the most smashy and nicey voice for radio ever, Rob was very laconic. 

Agree, David has a distinctive voice and is a natural radio presenter.  Was on an NCT bus into town a while ago and the onboard announcements....'next stop, .............' sounded very much like him!

• 11 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a DJ on Trent, known  as 'the mouth'.  I believe his first name was Chris something.