Happy Birthday, 65 years old today, The National Health Service

Happy Birthday to you! You say it's your birthday!.......party, party, party....DANCE!

May I conclude that you folks are not at all impressed with your NHS? I'm happy with any health insurance, if I die before they get to me so be it.

I could spew out my anger here for an hour or two, but no need. Back in the States, the lower income folks go to the hospital for everthing and not to their doctor - they can't afford a doctor.....the system is a mess - need an operation, you find the best doctor you can - then insurance tells you to get a second opinion in writing - then they'll only pay the lesser amount of the two you submitted. In the good old days, my father was on the family health plan....it paid at least 80% and most times the entire bill. Enough said.....be happy with anything rather than nothing at all----safe to say. I'ts only going to get worse.

----safe to say. I'ts only going to get worse.

If they channeled the billions from all these stupid 'Look at us we're a major power' wars... tens of thousands of our own people would not be dying like flies for lack of funds.

Off to war because terrorists kill fifty innocent citizens on our streets.When the money could save tens of thousands of cancer and heart patients from an early death.

• Upvote 3

Yes Poohbear, it's the "New Normal" - "Too Big To Fail" ..... as an American, we were sold down the river a long time ago. Our rights used to hold power and respect, that power now is just an echo and have been rendered worthless. How about that BS Obama "Health Plan"?

If I say too much truth here - some grumpy old men on this site, demand facts and figures.....they remind me of the old Faces song.....

"A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse". Best of luck with what you find.

"Obummercare" is already starting to "bite butts" One local employer has reduced many workers from full time to part timers and has reduced their hours down to less than 35 a week.

I was reading about small business owner in one of the eastern seaboard states, he employs 60 full time employees with full health care coverage, he has stated his insurance cover costs when the new law kicks in full time will approach $450,000 a year from around $200,000 a year. He has two options, fire 11 employees and make the rest part timers, or close up shop...The service he provides won't stand a rise in price to cover costs

Personally, if I was in business with 100 employees, I'd fire the lot and use agency workers....What other serious options are there left if a small businessman/woman wants to stay in business??

I can see even agency's closing shop, unless they have all those on their books classed as self employed???

For those not familiar with "Agencies" they "hire" people who "sign" on with them, then large and small companies use their services, the agency pays the employee minus a percentage. The agency usually doesn't cover benefits like health, holidays etc..

Some large companies will hire a good agency worker after their three year contract with the agency ends.

But if an agency "employee" isn't good at the job, they are replaced, that way the large company cannot be charged with wrongful dismissal.

• Upvote 1

Odd how that number stays with you, even though you haven't used it in many years, I did verify I still remembered the right number when I applied for my UK pension. Spot on....

Katyjay and Ayeupmeducks, I think you might be getting muddled up with your National Insurance number ...... that's the one that the pension people need to know

• 11 months later...

So how did we manage before the NHS.Take my dear old mum how did she manage to pay for doctors etc especially when I was born in 1941 and my sister in 1944.Mum and Dad were living on a small annuity from Dads mothers will and because he was too old to enlist he worked as a labourer in a factory.

Don't let this government deceive you when they lack about "funding"

When the Atlee government set up "OUR" NHS the country's finances were in a far worse state than they are now.

We were nearly bankrupt & up to our necks in debt to the USA. but with determination the LABOUR government delivered on one of it's key promises. hellothere

Ha Ha! My brother was born in the war and mum had to pay the midwife. I was born after NHS kicked off. Early case of buy one get one free eh? BOGOF! LOL