Shippos is coming back

Article in today's Nottingham Post. I thought someone else would have spotted it. Not being a beer drinker I can't comment if it's a good thing or bad.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-ale-Shippo-s/story-19489841-detail/story.html

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Ivor Thirst thing also used to be on the pub (various names over the years) next to Vic Station.

Shippo's has also gone upmarket, it is now drunk out of a Champagne flute.

#40 Known in New Basford where the brewery was as Bipstones Shitter. Mick you mean the quart bottles that used to be stacked in crates on the loading dock at the bottom left hand side of Northgate. T

Was never a Shippos fan.

Top of the list was always Home Ales, closely followed by Kimberley.

And although I liked Shippos Nut Brown (in a quart bottle from the offie), their bitter was mostly only consumed for its laxative effect, which was second only to Ruddles for that.

• Upvote 1

Shippo's- Nottinghams laxative........................kept the staff at Stoke Bardolph busy................probably blacked a few eyes, & made a few babies an'all

When I was young we used to say "Home makes you grunt and groan, but Shippo's makes you sh*t"

But will the Belvoir Brewery, Shippo's, from Old Dalby taste like the old stuff ?

It is good to see the old name back.

Was my grandads favourite tipple at his local The Red Heart in Ruddington. He had a pint every day of his adult life (well he was down to half pints in his later years) and lived until he was 92 so it couldn't have done him any harm. slywink

Whatho all,

This is odd as Shippos has been back for some time. It was claimed Star Bitter from Belvoir Brewery was an old Shipstone's recipe. However when I tried it in the Horse & Groom some time ago, it tasted far too bitter. Nottingham bitters had a slight sweet and creamy feel about them.

Oh and those lovely electric pumps where you could see the ale in a glass cylinder.

Cheers, Mark (remembering the Belle Vue)

Never could see the attraction of Shipstones.

As I've mentioned before here, it always tasted like a penny in your mouth.

In fact a lot of the 'name' beers in the midlands weren't high on my list - particularly when I was a student and prone to drinking.

I do remember drinking Davenports many years ago when they opened a pub in Loughborough and loved the taste of that.

There are some very good micro-breweries in Notts these days though - maybe it's one of those that has tried to revive the Shippo's name.

We had a party for my sister in law a few years back and got a barrel in from one of these small breweries - I think it might have been Castle Rock. Everyone said how good the beer was.

So there's obviously some decent beer in Notts, but I have to say I would never have recommended the revival of Shipstones as was.

Oh and those lovely electric pumps where you could see the ale in a glass cylinder.

Yes! I'd forgotten all about those. Standing at the bar, watching the beer going through the pump and wishing it would go a bit faster when you were gagging for a drink...

Only liked shippo's 5 star keg, the Nut Brown looked like crude oil :sickly:

I think it was Home that brewed 5 star bitter or did Shippo's do one too?

About the revamp of Shippstones I don't think it will taste quite the same as the water is not the same.

Hmm - dunno if might be just a 'gel' thing or not but the fact is - all I remember about Shipstones beer is the Horses that were still used for delivering some of it! It was Shippo's wasn't it who kept the heavy horses for beer delivery around the centre of Nottingham? Crikey - the whole road used to shake when they were coming. Wonderful to see (well I thought so) but then it didn't remotely matter to me how fast the beer got to where it was going. Hard to imagine that most deliveries were done the same way once and it wasn't all that many years back either.

I did partake of the odd Home Ales in a shandy but that was really a family thing because of my Dad working at the home Brewery. Probably classed as a criminal act by the Real Alers though to admit to mixing a good beer with lemonade!

Hmm - dunno if might be just a 'gel' thing or not but the fact is - all I remember about Shipstones beer is the Horses that were still used for delivering some of it! It was Shippo's wasn't it who kept the heavy horses for beer delivery around the centre of Nottingham?

Now there's an idea - it would be good publicity if they did their deliveries the old way.

shipp.jpg

shipp2.jpg

My granddad did the same job there, he grew up in a farming community in North Notts [North Wheatley] and also worked with horses in WW1, so we reckoned that's how he got the job at Shippos.

I just wondered if anyone can recognise the road the Shippo's Hosses are on in the photo's,it was a familia sight to me walking up Huntingdon Street on my way to work,the road looks like so many in those days with the cobbles,and i can't work out were it may be, so as to know which pubs they might be delivering to.

Ah thanks,for some reason i thought it was round the Alfred Street area,but they are all similar,Those hosses are fantastic,what a sight to see and the sound of the hoofs on the cobbles, never to forget.

I think there's another thread on Shippo's hosses somewhere on here, and I'm most likely repeating myself from that thread, but I remember being on a number 22 bus going up Alfreton Road after passing Bentinck Rd, a slight incline all the way up to Canning Circus. And the bus being behind a Shippo's dray struggling to pull it's full load up that road, the bus crawling behind. I'd give anything to be on that bus again behind those magnificent horses.

Reading bubblewraps post regarding shipstones not tasting the same, as the water will be different. When the brewing of Newcastle Brown Ale was moved from Newcastle to Tadcaster a lot of people said it tasted different and blamed the water.

• 3 weeks later...