Shippos is coming back

Shipstone’s had a unique, unmistakeable flavour compared to the other local brews. There was no doubt that you were drinking Shippos. The so called Shipstone’s beer I tried at the Belvoir Brewery a couple of years ago had nothing like the old Shipstone’s taste. I think it’s one of those beers that’s best forgotten! Shipstone’s were clients of my firm when I was in the accountancy profession back in the 60’s. and when we were working there a crate of ale was brought to our room at 11 o’clock each morning!:cheers:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Ivor Thirst thing also used to be on the pub (various names over the years) next to Vic Station.

Shippo's has also gone upmarket, it is now drunk out of a Champagne flute.

#40 Known in New Basford where the brewery was as Bipstones Shitter. Mick you mean the quart bottles that used to be stacked in crates on the loading dock at the bottom left hand side of Northgate. T

If only laptops and spreadsheets had been around then! The only computers I ever saw in those days were hugh reel to reel machines situated behind glass in air conditioned rooms accessible only to the operators. The first one I saw  was in the Nottingham City Treasurer’s Department. At the Water Department, which was then run by the City Council, they were still living in the Victorian era with tall sloping desks and men sitting on stools writing in hugh bound ledgers. The youngsters may call us silver surfers and think we don’t understand computing but some of us have been involved with the evolution of computers and systems for all of our working lives and beyond.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

A nice pint of Home Brewery Five Star, Mansfield Bitter or a Kimberley mild but never Shippo's

The only good thing about Shippo's was the Ivor Thirst guy with the rattle that went round when Forest scored, in the scoreboard at the kop end of the Forest ground in the sixties and early seventies.

File:Forest IvorThirst.jpg

(Photo by John Turner of Ilkeston)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2018 at 6:14 AM, Oztalgian said:

the scoreboard at the kop end of the Forest ground in the sixties and early seventies.

In the photo 3 posts up of the Bridgford End (I’ve never heard it called the kop end?) on closer inspection the banner displays the name Kenny, Kenny did not sign until 1977?  The other banner looks like Clough who came in 76?  

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

In the photo 3 posts up of the Bridgford End (I’ve never heard it called the kop end?)

It was my grandad that first took me to see the Forest in the fifties and he always stood on the 18 yard line in the East stand nearest the Bridgford/Kop end of the ground. As a kid, so I could see, I was passed down to the front to be right up against what to me then was a rather substantial wall.

He and his mates always called it the Kop as I remember it seemed a strange word which I later learned was from the Battle of Spion Kop in the Boer War which was on a hill which became the name for terraces usually behind a goal at UK football grounds.

To me the Bridgford end was more used at Trent Bridge cricket ground.