What a glorious sight,The fields of poppies and white daisies (not sure of their real name),just riding in the country lanes and the sight of these wild flowers always take my heart away,One of the things i'v always wanted to do is get my daughter and granddaughter and me together in a poppy field and have a portrait,it would make me so happy, i hope i don't leave it to late,My love of poppies began with the Cadbury Flake advert in the 1970s with the young lady doing a water color of the flowers,and then eating a flake,not sure if it was flowers or flake,i like them both,we passed a small island in a very built up area before we headed out of town,and the council had planted it with wild flowers,it was so beautiful,i could have just sat looking at it for ever. As a child mam tought us the name of most wild flowers on our many walks over Greenies fields and Lambley Dumbles,but sadly i have forgotten most of them,Does any one else love this gift of nature with me,and all for free.Hope i haven't gone on to much :unsure: :)

I currently have 7 different varieties of poppy flowering in my garden Carni. They are one of nature's finest gifts.

What a pleasure Compo,i see by your posts you are quite knowledgeable about flowers,I know nothing except that i just love the wild flowers,more than cultivated ones,I do love the very large bright red variety of poppy i have seen in a neighbors garden, they come back every year,and they are about 3ft tall, i think you probably have some of those in you'r lovely garden.

It may be a couple of days before i get chance again,but will do ,when i,m cruising the country lanes again,thankyou,you will know them because they are very common,i have the name dog daisy but only guessing. :unsure:

I don't know if that hogweed is a relative of the same stuff growing over here, but overuse of "Roundup" has created a herbicide resistant strain known as "giant hogwood" that is taking over fields in Arkansas.

It's spreading north each year by so many miles per year, the only way of dealing with it is to dig the plant out and burn it..It grows to over ten feet tall!!

Are those yellow flowers Lupins??? Lupins are native to this part of the world, purple is the natural colour of them.

As a kid, the meadows the other side of Broxtowe Woods were full of all kinds of different wild flowers, poppies included. We were told if we picked them we'd get a headache! I'm sure it was the opium that was the culprit?

Ayupmeducks: The yellow flowers are a "Tree Lupin" I have just the one plant but might be dividing it this coming winter.

We have the "Giant Hogweed" in Uk too. botanical name Heracleum mantegazzianum, it has been known to reach a height of 20ft.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/index.cfm?pageid=152

For details of this "Non-native" plant in the UK.

Katyjay #12

We were told about poppies and headaches as well,can you remember the reason we used to shine the buttercups under our chins anyone,i know im an old romantic but was the tale something about if it shines on your neck it means you'r in love.aaaaaaaaaaaahh,

I'll have to remember that Compo, I'll keep my eyes open for any, never realized it was so dangerous, always nervous of poison ivy around here as I'm pretty allergic to it.

Sure is, and that's the seed pod of one on the right.

Katyjay #12

We were told about poppies and headaches as well,can you remember the reason we used to shine the buttercups under our chins anyone,i know im an old romantic but was the tale something about if it shines on your neck it means you'r in love.aaaaaaaaaaaahh,

I thought it was to see if you liked butter

Never seen as many Poppies in the fields as I did over at the end of the new road at Newark, they're snided in them. In some places it looked like the Poppies were the main crop !!! (Opium anybody?)

You right the fields are full of poppies this year, around here we live in a drinking water catchment area, so we are not a allowed to use any Pesticides or Herbicides, so the fields are full of them and other wild flowers.

• Upvote 1

Paulus and Lizzie

As soon as i read your post about buttercups and liking butter it reminded me again, thank you both,Even tho I got it wrong I like my version best , but you were both right, Oh Hum :blush:

Yes, Carni, we did it to see if we liked butter, not that we could afford it, LOL, Stork margarine was about our lot!