Cliff ton: Try this:

4781859785_d7270079fa_z.jpg

Yours is a variety of Papaver Somniferum but not the opium one.

Nonetheless if you score the side of teh seed pod it will ooze a white latex-like substance.

snip\,I do love the very large bright red variety of poppy i have seen in a neighbors garden, they come back every year,and they are about 3ft tall, i think you probably have some of those in you'r lovely garden.

I think this is the one you mean. Mine are now "Going over" but here is one I photographed last week in my garden. that is my hand....the flower is huge.

IMG_7645.JPG?gl=GB

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, Micheal,Are you telling fibs,not even a cream cracker.LOL

We used to have Kraft, and mams name was Margery,so when she sent us to the shop she would say to us ask for Krafty Margy.

One of the things we see now that we didn't as children are fields full of yellow rape seed for the oil(sorry if i have the name wrong),not such a glorious sight as poppies but it has a purpose.

Just done a quick research on Rapeseed/Canola and it has its downfalls,to complex for me to pass on,but it is worth googeling and getting the facts.

I know what you mean,when out in the country side you can smell it long before you see it,and it sets itself along the roadside but not such a nice sight as poppies.

I stopped using Canola oil years ago after finding it has links to heart disease...Something to do with the treatment of the rape seed to extract the oil and process it. More and more evidence is coming to light on all processed oils, might just go back to cooking with lard...

I remember as a kid seeing field after field of mustard which is yellow also..

I remember the mustard fields. I wonder if it was a "Green manure" or if the crop was acutually used for mustard seed? Of course, it wouldn't matter to us .... we couldn't afford beef to put it on.

:sleeping:

Potted beef?? Last time I had some, it was home made...Mmmmmmmmmm. So easy to make, but heavy on butter..

• 7 years later...