Nottingham Bands in the 60s

Anyone remember Robert Hirst and the Big Taste used to play at the Beachcomber and other places...........good soul band!

Also was there a band called The Children?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sons of Adam in about 1965 at Rainbow Rooms. The occasion was the lead singer's (Troy) birthday and that girl baked him a cake! Members of the group were from the left .... Harry Barnes, Roger Ly

Yes there was most definitely Robert Hirst.  He called himself Spence at that time because he loved The Spencer Davis Group. And he adored Sam and Dave. He wasn't in the best of health Davi'sW in 2013

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us do

Posted Images

Yes I remember them very well . My brother was in the horn section ! They did all the regular soul stuff though most of the band were from the Nottingham jazz scene . They did play further afield and did a gig at The Marquee club in London .

There was no actual Robert Hirst , the lead singer was nick- named Spence ( far left , wearing a jacket on the cover on link below). Lead guitarist Alan Motteshaw, nick name was Mott , is seated next to Spence on the cover.

Keith Simons who managed the band , as well as running one of the boat clubs wanted to streamline the band and dropped the horn section , they then released this single but only in Germany ?

http://www.popsike.com/ROBERT-HIRST-THE-BIG-TASTE-Show-Me-cool-67-UK-Mod-45/120730918016.html

mothers worry used to play at the white hart a lot but they look very tame and clean cut on there photo on the above site i am sure hippo girl will agree with me brought back memories of lots of the other groups we used to dance to back in the sixties

Just spoken to my brother about his time with Robert Hirst and the Big Taste . On the sax was the late Irv Pension , the drummer was Les Shaw . Apparently lead singer Spence (Robert Hirst) isn't in the best of health at the moment .

He also mentioned that when the horn section was sacked , they brought in another singer called Steve Saxon to do a sort of Sam and Dave type act . Just googled Steve Saxon and this letter from the Post comes up . Wonder if she ever found him ?

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Bygones-letters-Mum-s-appeal-Steve-Saxon/story-12217842-detail/story.html

yes paulus carls fables were regulars at the carlton hotelcerry tree and the foresters in mansfield

Hey all of you thanks for these links they make it all real!

As I get older sometimes I think to myself "Did this really happen? Who were those guys?" Etc.etc.

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Anyone recall a band called Light Fantastic'? I saw them a few times at the Festival Inn, Trowell.

Their theatrical performance included the coffin act, when vocalist/bass player Ron Dickson would emerge wearing Dracula and Monster make-up (pre-Alice Cooper)

• 1 month later...

Terry " Bubbly" Bennett the singer with X-it and Sassafras amongst other bands ,now lives in Spain about 1.5 hrs north of my house ,last I heard he was in poor health but I think he's still working .as far as i'm aware..

http://www.sassafras.org.uk/TheBand/TerryBennett/tabid/436/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Knew Terry Bennet very well, think he used to live on Fraser Square Carlton, Worked with his dad for awhile at Gedling Coliery - Reg Bennet, who was my charghand at the time.

Reg used to be on the Gedling Miners welfare committee on Mapperley tops so Terry used to do quite a few gigs there, met my good lady at one of the gigs at the welfare club so remember it well.

My wife used to cut and blow dry Terry's hair at times as she was an apprentice hairdresser.

Wife's older brother was good mates with Terry too.

I remember an "eventful" trip up to the twisted wheel, Manchester with him, for an all nighter, must have been around 65 - 66, we all went in my brothers car, an austin A40, must've been around 5 of us ! while we were there it snowed heavily overnight and my brother, under the influence of a "few" beers, decided to brave the Snakes Pass home on the Sunday morning !

Terry was a great laugh but was heavily into pills and uppers/downers at the time. Glad to hear he made it this far as no one who knew him well thought he would.

Terry " Bubbly" Bennett the singer with X-it and Sassafras amongst other bands ,now lives in Spain about 1.5 hrs north of my house ,last I heard he was in poor health but I think he's still working .as far as i'm aware..

http://www.sassafras.org.uk/TheBand/TerryBennett/tabid/436/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Terry lives in the same village as me --- I see him every other week when I go to clean his pool.

He's not in the best of health after his stroke but he's still got a good sense of humour and Jenny looks after him like a baby -- Top bloke !

Do you remember Steve Saxon Chrissie?He was an old school mate at Beeston Fields, lived in the Rylands.

I bumped into him at the Ladbrooke grove festival when I lived in London around 77/78. He looked rough and told me he was going through a bad patch.

Took him home, he stayed a week and left, never heard from him again.Then his name came up on the thread.Funny old life innit.