Nottingham Bands in the 60s

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sons of Adam in about 1965 at Rainbow Rooms. The occasion was the lead singer's (Troy) birthday and that girl baked him a cake! Members of the group were from the left .... Harry Barnes, Roger Ly

Yes there was most definitely Robert Hirst.  He called himself Spence at that time because he loved The Spencer Davis Group. And he adored Sam and Dave. He wasn't in the best of health Davi'sW in 2013

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us do

Posted Images

crissie did you look at the photo of mothers worry on the thre here what did you think.

it gives all the guys names but robin the drummerbut you can see from that why so many girls fell for sutch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi radford boy, You ask about the MI5, yes I do, going back a few years now

I was asked to join them as a replacement for the lead singer, we practiced at a house in Carlton , and at the drummers house, near carrington swimming baths, they were very good, they suited me out, red jacket, black trousers, was ready to go
For our first gig, they told the singer he was sacked, and he them threatened to take away all there bookings. The band had no choice but to let me go, If you were a member of the band, no hard feeling, and hope you whenit on to greater things, I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember What the Dickens they later changed their name to The Dickens Set, but I have a feeling that some of them may have ended up as Robert Hirst and the BigTaste.. They were a brilliant soul band we used to see them at The Brit and various other places around Nottingham. I think. their theme tune used to be Rufus Thomas's Willy Nilly.

• Upvote 1

Welcome curlychris .

As I said at the beginning of this thread , I certainly remember Robert Hirst and The Big Taste , as my brother was trombonist in the band (when they had a horn section) and I can definitely remember them playing Willy Nilly .

When I hear Rufus Thomas original I always think of the watching The Big Taste in the Nottingham clubs .Still a favourite of mine .

Not sure about whether some of them played in The Dickens Set previously , I will ask him but as the half the band were more from a jazz background he may not know .

http://youtu.be/KG7YWb8a_B0

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just listening to Svjatoslav Richter playing Rachmaninoff 2 as you do kickme when all of a sudden remembered Alan Roper (with the injured leg) ,good singer ,used to sing at the Palais or Sherwood Rooms. Anyone know what happened to him?

allan later became compere at the heart of the midlands and was there untill it closed later he whould play piano at pubs and clubs around clifto wilford he died about 5 years ago

allan later became compere at the heart of the midlands and was there untill it closed later he whould play piano at pubs and clubs around clifto wilford he died about 5 years ago

You certainly are a wealth of information P & B. Alan lived around the corner from me,and his sister was the best mate of one of my former girlfriends...

• 4 months later...

May be a long shot, but I'm trying to find information on the following 60's rock music makers. They might have links with Nottingham but I don't have any facts about that but if so can anyone remember any of them?. They all played the Festival Hall Kirkby every Friday during February 1961. TONY ANGELO & The Bandits. KERRY RAPID. DEAN RICH. CLIVE LLOYD. THE ANGELO BOYS.

Anything received will be welcome, thanks.

stan i used to go to a quiz night at wilford and allan and his wife used to go in there and the ponderosa in silverdale allan would sometimes play the piano and sing a few songs in there and i remember him compearing at the heart of the midlands as i used togo in there quite a lot and if you went in friday or saturday allan would give out free tickets for the folowing week to see the new aristsfor that week alays gave me three or four so i soon cottond on you only had to pay to go in once a fortnight but could see a new top artist every week. saw pj proby billy j kramer lena martel , russ abbott ,roger witicker to name but a few. when it closed down was really sorry but times were changing the younger people were getting married and having childrenso could not gooutso much and the elder people were getting to old to be going out so often .

• Upvote 1

I remember Clive LLoyd big black bloke good at cricket,dont know if he was in a rock band though!

there used to be another regular band who played at white heart the lead singer wasrealy blode beatle style hair worked on hockley at the hard wear shopopposit little woolies i often saw him in there in his lunch hour but carnt remember his name or the name of his group anybody got any ideas

#45 might have been Tony Angelino who sang with "Crying" with Raquel at the "Starlight club" :)

• Upvote 2

I've found an old web comment from Tony Angelo that makes me think they not be so local now. From the web page of ‘Wishful Thinking’ from Tony Angelo 25/05/12

“Brian and I formed The Bandits together at the Palais, Aldershot. Brian (Allen—drms). After the Bandits broke up Tony and Brian parted company but 1969 they were together again as members of ‘Wishful Thinking’.

I made an edit to the original to keep it relevant. Thanks for your comments, I'll keep the spade out for more digging.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

I used to go to see Cisco at about every gig they ever did. Knew all of them well but Steve was hard to get to know. I would love to know if any of them are around still especially Ray Northfield and Dave Sharp - anyone know of anything that happened to any of the band? I knew Terry Bennet quite well and glad to hear he is still going - I have their 'Expecting Company ' album which he signed and also Nottingham Castle Rock with a Cisco track if anyone can remember that....