Nottingham Bands in the 60s

hi Michael Booth, #101, it's because i am on this site, sitting alone, at the computer, no one knows me, and within honourable limitations can put how i feel and my past on the site, talking face to face with someone, i keep feelings hidden behind a comedy act. but writing on here like this empowers me. Don't get me wrong, i try to state things a fact not stuff for sympathy or empathy, (get me), but, and here's the thing, on here Nottstalgia, well, its like having friends, you know, the kind you can open up to, never had a friend, 1. never in one place to make one, 2. never trusted anyone enough, the only (friend), i made was during the 70s, remember the miners strikes and the power going off well i was married, (first wife), then, we invited him from next door but two, during blackouts, to play board games, trust me just board games, to cut a long story short she ended up leaving me for him, typical. you will see, as time goes on, all my posts seem to have a similar theme.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sons of Adam in about 1965 at Rainbow Rooms. The occasion was the lead singer's (Troy) birthday and that girl baked him a cake! Members of the group were from the left .... Harry Barnes, Roger Ly

Yes there was most definitely Robert Hirst.  He called himself Spence at that time because he loved The Spencer Davis Group. And he adored Sam and Dave. He wasn't in the best of health Davi'sW in 2013

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us do

Posted Images

Parents always have seemingly unrealistic aspirations for their children. Mine certainly did. I hated FFGS, they tried to chose my friends and the clothes I wore, even the length of my hair.

I used to leave home in slacks and a jacket, then get changed into jeans and T Shirt behind our garage. Mother hated long hair, so I didn't have a proper cut for over ten years.

They wanted me to become an accountant, so I went to work on a caravan site at Ingoldmells.

They didn't like my music, so I played it louder and louder.

I suspected I was adopted in my teens, but as I'd had quite a good upbringing on the whole, I forgot about it. I then found out when in my mid 30's and was furious as all my cousins and aunts and uncles knew. I only recently got an original birth certificate and saw my birth mothers name but no father.

I left home at 19 for a while and again at 23 to live with a girl my parents disapproved of. It lasted 32 years.

I left for greener pastures, but got lost.

I won't elaborate further for fear of embarrassing people.

As dad used to say. Life is what you make it. I've made complete and utter disasters of my career and relationships, but I'm ok.

I've had some 5hit times recently, but my Nottstalgia 'family ' have got me through it on way or another.

So Terrance and Blondie, we've all got skeletons but we've all come through it.

I'm happiest when on here, and long may it last.

• Upvote 9

I can understand your feelings, terence12. Whereas some of us have had a privileged life, others seem to have had a raw deal. It's true that Nottstalgia is a friendly place and since joining I've felt that I've become friends with some of them through our posts, despite never actually meeting any of them. Well, bar two of them.

Nobody wants anything from you, nobody wants to hustle you, nobody wants to pry into your life, but are interested to know the bits you want to tell them and generally, nobody tries to make out they are better than anyone else. Maybe, in time, the Nottstalgians will get you to leave your computer and join them at one of their meet-ups. Anyway, if you've got something to say then we are here to read and comment on it, terence12. :)

• Upvote 6

Parents always have seemingly unrealistic aspirations for their children. <CUT>

Good on you......

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember Summer Rain-Al James-Baz Harris to name a few, All great Musicians from the 60s.

Rember the Lacarno very well, Johnny Carrington on the Doors, Great times, Great People then, The times have really changed, Will never see the Likes agen.

This must be 70's looking at the admission price.....formerly Robert Hirst and the Big Taste .

19519938276_84a6a0658a_b.jpg

Blues and Roots , looks like it's outside the Boat Clubs

19359553409_8292cf377d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember Robert Hirst and the Big Taste used to play at the Beachcomber and other places...........good soul band!

Also was there a band called The Children?

I do not remember Robert Hirst and the big Taste but I have probably seen them I spent a lot of time at the Beachcomber

• 2 weeks later...

Just listening to Svjatoslav Richter playing Rachmaninoff 2 as you do kickme when all of a sudden remembered Alan Roper (with the injured leg) ,good singer ,used to sing at the Palais or Sherwood Rooms. Anyone know what happened after the place closed........

He was the compare at the Heart of the Midlands in the 70's, when the place closed down he played the piano at a pub near Clifton, I believe he has now died...........

• 2 months later...

Welcome Yogi Bear Xxx........... bowdown

Yogi Bear #120 - Is that the Alan Roper who was the compare at the Heart of the Midlands in the 1970's? - If so, I heard he had passed away years ago.......

Incidently, I know a few people who live in Calverton..............

Welcome Yogi Bear. When I was about 9 or so, I used to cycle to Calverton from Woodthorpe with my brother. I remember there was what we called a water-splash at the bottom of a hill. We've driven there in the last few years but I can't remember exactly where it was...

• 4 weeks later...

I used to know a Clifton girl called Adrienne Black, very beautiful she was. She had two brothers, Chris Black and Lyne Black. One of the brothers, and I can't remember which, was the drummer in a one-hit-wonder Nottingham group. I been wracking my brains (the little I have left) but can't remember the group. Can anybody please help out? This would be in the mid to late 60's.

Could it be Paper Lace ?......................They sang 'Billy don't be a hero'...........

Welcome Yogi Bear. When I was about 9 or so, I used to cycle to Calverton from Woodthorpe with my brother. I remember there was what we called a water-splash at the bottom of a hill. We've driven there in the last few years but I can't remember exactly where it was...

It was near the Lido and Springwater Social Club, I think it was called the Springwater Splash..........

• Upvote 1

Anyone remember Harry Lambert? he had a small jazz band played the pubs I worked with him at co-op bakery meadow lane 1955

I think that would be the Harry Lamert that played at the Bell with various local jazz musicians including Ray Marshall, drums Jack Nutbrown, trombone and myself on guitar and six string banjo.

• 1 month later...

spent a year as bass with 'Colours Of Love' in 1970.. the type of hotels we stayed in didn't have TVs in the bedrooms to throw out of windows, but wasn't unknown for one of the band to break up a wardrobe.. and put it on the open fire to warm up the room.. I often had the mental image of the manager the next day saying 'well, the towels are all there, the shampoo's still on the shelf.. but I could have sworn there used to be a wardrobe in there...' (BTW it wasn't me, honest!)

• 4 weeks later...

Any-one on here remember a group called The Mysteries out of Arnold? They had an old ambulance with Mysteries painted on the side.I was a bit too young to do the clubs at that time but I do remember going to the drummers house for a party one time.The guitarists name I think was Trev Ford lived on Killisick Estate around the corner from me as did Chris Morris of Paper Lace fame.

#134 Another Paper lace member Mick Vaughan lived that way Blackie either Arnold or Mapperley,his Dad used to make him work with us on Saturdays doing shop layouts for Marsdens,his Dad was General Manager,big Sheffield bloke and a great Boss.