Nottingham Bands in the 60s

Mick Vaughan was another Arnold lad.I remember sitting on the steps of Arnold baths trying to play guitar and impress the girls when Mick showed up and put me to shame. I`m 64 and STILL trying to learn guitar and impress the girls !!!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sons of Adam in about 1965 at Rainbow Rooms. The occasion was the lead singer's (Troy) birthday and that girl baked him a cake! Members of the group were from the left .... Harry Barnes, Roger Ly

Yes there was most definitely Robert Hirst.  He called himself Spence at that time because he loved The Spencer Davis Group. And he adored Sam and Dave. He wasn't in the best of health Davi'sW in 2013

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us do

Posted Images

Boy,the memories are starting to flow !!! Any-one remember going to the dances at The Cecil Hall and St.Paul`s in Daybrook on saturday nights? There must have been lots of good groups who got their start to fame there (or not)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great Site , I don't think I've seen it before. I really enjoyed the a-z list of bands, It was good to see the bands, instead of trying to remember them by name, it transported me back in time! Thanks CliffTon.

Bill Brazier of The Beatmen lives in my village. We were at Mellish at the same time but he was 3 years ahead of me. He became respectable businessman after his showbiz career and now drives steam engines on The Great Central Railway as a hobby. He still has the original Gibson guitar.

• Upvote 2

I see the www.playedinaband.com website has a picture of half of me on the Sons of Adam section. A picture I put on here at # 73. Not very nice, slicing me in half !!

Philmayfield, you may know Bill Moseley then, who was also in the Beatmen. A good friend of mine.

• Upvote 1

I will have met him. Bill lives in the next field to me - well, we don't actually live in fields but our houses are there! They've played a few gigs in Bill's field some years ago. The Beatmen actually all originated at Mellish and back in he 60's they played on the same bills as many of the big groups. They also spent some time in Hamburg just like the Beatles.

• 6 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:19 PM, LizzieM said:

I see the www.playedinaband.com website has a picture of half of me on the Sons of Adam section. A picture I put on here at # 73. Not very nice, slicing me in half !!

Philmayfield, you may know Bill Moseley then, who was also in the Beatmen. A good friend of mine.

I remember the beatmen,or the fabulous beatmen as they were announced,from Arnold I believe

• 2 months later...
On 04/11/2013 at 1:22 PM, From radford said:

I wonder do these Band names ring any bells out there ? The Younger Generation also Bobby Wayne and the Stormers

From the Clifton Area about mid 60s were you in the band ? did you know them, ? did you see them play ?

I was the drummer in the Stormers along with Mick Hopper - Guitar, Bob Treece - Guitar, Dave Hall - Bass and Colin Fletcher - Vocals (Bobby Wayne)

stormers01.jpg

Unfortunately the limitations of this site prevent anything larger than thumbnail images so here is a link to a few more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvla9mw4zmz24il/AAAvuPuPh5oR7KMhR_yh1ukHa?dl=0

The posters are from a couple of gigs in 1965 - I was 14 for the first gig and 15 for the second.

From memory, we played both of these venues a few times also Hendon Rise Social Club, The Winning Post and The Man of Trent in Clifton, The Grey Goose at Gedling, The Green Man at Ripley (?),  The Dungeon and several other places I can't recall at the moment.

Enjoy

Rob Haywood

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
On 02/11/2015 at 1:01 PM, Bing said:

I used to know a Clifton girl called Adrienne Black, very beautiful she was. She had two brothers, Chris Black and Lyne Black. One of the brothers, and I can't remember which, was the drummer in a one-hit-wonder Nottingham group. I been wracking my brains (the little I have left) but can't remember the group. Can anybody please help out? This would be in the mid to late 60's.

Chris Black played with me in the band Mosaic during the 60's and early 70's.  He lives in Australia now.  Mosaic morphed into Highly Likely and they recorded the theme song from The Likely Lads.  It charted to No 37 so that was the 'One Hit Wonder' you refer to.  He latterly went on to join Mike Pender's Searchers.  He played guitar and keyboards.  You can find him on the Playedinaband website.

Is this 'Mosaic Sunset' radfordlad? If so I know Graham Wyville who is still playing nationally.  The group used to practice in the canteen at Thorn Bendix when I worked there in the 60s and early 70s.

Radfordlad,

Thanks very much for that.  It shows I'm not completely ga-ga just yet!

I remember the original Searchers very well. I liked them until I discovered the original US groups they copied from, eg  The Coasters and Jackie De Shannon.

I'm another radfordlad, born down by The Plough Inn on St. Peters St.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 06/03/2017 at 7:08 PM, LizzieM said:

Is this 'Mosaic Sunset' radfordlad? If so I know Graham Wyville who is still playing nationally.  The group used to practice in the canteen at Thorn Bendix when I worked there in the 60s and early 70s.

Sorry for the time lag, LizzieM but I stopped following thi site for ages.  It's too addictive,  but I've started again recently now I have more time.  Yep, that's Mosaic Sunset I was referring to.  Mosaic/Mosaic Sunset morphed out of The Hound Dogs who started in 1964 when Graham Wyvill was still at school.  We did indeed practice at Thorn Bendix and we used their amplifiers.  If you look on the Playedinaband website you'll see a photo of The Hound Dogs in the canteen with the BEL equipment. Band members are L-R, Richard 'Rik' Kenton ( famously played bass on Virginia Plain), myself Alan Carnell, Mick Kenton (Richard's brother), Bob Wyvill (Graham's brother who sadly passed away in 2003) and Graham.

What's your name and did we ever meet?

On 10/09/2017 at 2:29 AM, Radford Boy said:

Can't remember any of their names  but I have have a feeling there were two (or three?) brothers in the band.

It was all such a long time ago!

Neil Rowe and Ian Rowe, Radford Boy.  Where were you from in Radford?

On 07/03/2017 at 2:16 PM, Bing said:

Radfordlad,

Thanks very much for that.  It shows I'm not completely ga-ga just yet!  I remember the original Searchers very well. I liked them until I discovered the original US groups they copied from, eg  The Coasters and Jackie De Shannon.

I'm another radfordlad, born down by The Plough Inn on St. Peters St.

The Searchers were never my favourite band, Bing. Too many covers as you say.  BTW, Chris Black is in very poor health in Australia

On 2/17/2018 at 1:18 AM, radfordlad said:

Neil Rowe and Ian Rowe, Radford Boy.  Where were you from in Radford?

Hi radford lad.

I was the other side of Ilkeston Road on Faraday Road. Just along from The White Horse pub.

Yes I thought they were good for a local band. 

I think Geoff (Jeff?) Bowering , brother of Chris that worked in the L ,played sax in this band.

They often played at The Beachcomber.

• Like 1