Nottingham Bands in the 60s

Brilliant pic. Lizzie,............slim Ties,Leather waistcoat,Park drive,...............you wanna dance?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sons of Adam in about 1965 at Rainbow Rooms. The occasion was the lead singer's (Troy) birthday and that girl baked him a cake! Members of the group were from the left .... Harry Barnes, Roger Ly

Yes there was most definitely Robert Hirst.  He called himself Spence at that time because he loved The Spencer Davis Group. And he adored Sam and Dave. He wasn't in the best of health Davi'sW in 2013

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us do

Posted Images

Great photo Lizzie. Those were the days !!!

• Upvote 1

Mand3liz, #72, about 1963/4 i was with a bunch of Hippies, used to sit around the market square, be about 9/10 of us, we used to go to the Palais at lunch times, remember hearing Hermans Hermits & The Supremes, i think one of us was named Fred, and me Terry, difficult to remember the others.

• Upvote 2

You'd need to be to listen to Hermans Hermits !!!!

• Upvote 2

Clive Lynch hippo.

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us doing any work, nights at the bakery, nicking veg and taters off allotments. Then after about 6 months, i was working at Victoria Hotel washing pans it was October and Goose Fair was on, one of our landlords girl friend asked me to take her to the fair, she had never seen it. Muggins here took her, no funny business just show her around, next day at work the other landlord, a chef at the hotel, asked me what happened at the fair, i told him, he hit me in the mouth, i went back the the ;bedsit we were in, he sent a message wanting to see me, he apologised, never new why he hit me, probably he wanted to take her to the fair, anyway, he asked me what was i doing hanging around with the others, i told him about my family, very good people, also said i was fed up with the lifestyle. We were living in a bedsit on Mansfield Rd. opposit the Grosvenor, he took me back to my family on Shipley Rd Broxtowe, and that was the end of my hippie days, took me about 4 years to get back trust and love of my mum and dad and sister, i was, (and still am), a real idiot. Not thought about that for over 50 years, i was 17/18 years old then. Sorry to meander on but learnt a valuable lesson then, never throw away the love of your family, in the end it's the most important thing we have.

• Upvote 9

Just come back on after following orders from herself, for the day. Seen all the likes from members about me daft period as a hippie/idiot, Thank you all, life for me has been full of these idiocies, would tell you all but you would be bored to death. just to say, this site, these people, the memories, wonderful. sob blurb crike damp spots all over me keyboard, am i a man or a mouse, (OI, SANDRA WHERE'S THE CHEESE).

• Upvote 1

ok carni, will gather me thoughts, and try and put down summat interesting, like in the middle of town, putting me car keys in the lock and me trousers fell down, or goin to first day of new school and ending up at wrong school, many things like these, to come soon

• Upvote 1

thing was thinking back we weren't so much hippies as lazy idiots, we thought we were clever, gods gift, we weren't. for 6 months i moved around with them, sleeping 10 to a room, with only 3 of us doing any work, nights at the bakery, nicking veg and taters off allotments. Then after about 6 months, i was working at Victoria Hotel washing pans it was October and Goose Fair was on, one of our landlords girl friend asked me to take her to the fair, she had never seen it. Muggins here took her, no funny business just show her around, next day at work the other landlord, a chef at the hotel, asked me what happened at the fair, i told him, he hit me in the mouth, i went back the the ;bedsit we were in, he sent a message wanting to see me, he apologised, never new why he hit me, probably he wanted to take her to the fair, anyway, he asked me what was i doing hanging around with the others, i told him about my family, very good people, also said i was fed up with the lifestyle. We were living in a bedsit on Mansfield Rd. opposit the Grosvenor, he took me back to my family on Shipley Rd Broxtowe, and that was the end of my hippie days, took me about 4 years to get back trust and love of my mum and dad and sister, i was, (and still am), a real idiot. Not thought about that for over 50 years, i was 17/18 years old then. Sorry to meander on but learnt a valuable lesson then, never throw away the love of your family, in the end it's the most important thing we have.

Your the same age as me Terence, I was born 30.9.45 at Hucknall and can remember those days, I rebelled against my parent's all the time because I thought they were old fashioned and controlling, and they were - they broke me making me do things their way chosing my clothes, friends, jobs, boyfriends etc and I do not agree with you about family respect, my life would have been so different now if it wasn't for them - incidently I now live at Newthorpe..........

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry to read about your upbringing, Blondie. Parents of that time had just come through WW2 and a lot of them had suffered quite a lot. They wanted a better life for their children and a lot of parents would strictly control the lives of their children so they wouldn't make mistakes as they grew up. The problem comes when the children become teenagers and want to live the same kind of life as their friends. It creates conflict and unhappiness and usually, if the parents don't stop being so domineering, their children will leave home. As time passes, the parents and children can see each others point of view and will become the friends that they should always have been.

On the other hand, you get parents who are just bad people who show little love to their children. In a lot of cases, the parents and children will go their own ways and have little, if any, contact with each other. I was lucky to have good parents who loved us all. I didn't think that when I was getting the belt on my bum, though..lol.

My children have grown up knowing how much we love them through words and actions. Apart from my youngest son, we all live in Nottingham and when my youngest son comes home everyone, including my grandchildren, come to my home for a party. Unless he's abroad, he gets home every couple of months, or less, so we have a lot of parties..lol. My family are a very loving family and there's never been any bad words or fall-out between any of us. They make me and my wife laugh when they tell us that we are more Rock & Roll than any of them...lol. When I read posts like Blondie's I realise how lucky I am. :)

• Upvote 4

Blondie, #98, can relate to what your saying, when not at school i my sister and i hardly saw our parents, dad was a joiner and worked mainly on power stations, so he had to work away from home due to lack of employment in nottingham, we saw him every other saturday afternoon and sunday. mum worked as a net mender for Small & Tidmas on Plantaganet St. St. Annes. we spent most of out time, during holidays, at grandmas, she lived on Babworth/Ramsey St. Carrington. i can relate to what Blondie says, it wasn't that my parents were bad or cruel just that we hardly saw them. Dad, like many his age group, never showed feelings, ever. mum was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, don't get me wrong, i respected them, perhaps more frightened of them i think. So what i learnt from them was very little, we had little money, in fact once dad got plauresy and was off work for 4 months, we were begging for bread off my Aunt, bit of a rough patch then. Things gradually got better as we moved around and dad got better jobs, but due to my lack of brainpower and being a bit shy School was a hateful time, bullied refularly, spent most of my time in the local woods my sister had taken up ballroom dancing so didn't see much of them as they were taking her to competitions, we had no TV and of course computers xbox's etc. had not been invented, so just messed around, i now am very introvert, untrusting and have had many relationships lost due to these early years. Still looking back it was not that bad, perhaps some of the fault lay with me, don't think my dad could have been very proud of me, he was muscular, brave, condident and had just spent 5 years in the navy fighting a war. me weedy, shy, frightened of just about everything, bit of a let down. now, thats me self pity moment over, back to normal service, Happy Sunday all

• Upvote 4

It's good that you can be so open and honest with us, terence12. In the late 40's and early 50's many children were left to fend for themselves while their parents were out working to put some food on the table. I think these kids were called latchkey kids who'd go home and let themselves into an empty house. Many people had witnessed the horror of war and seen their friends die horrible deaths. When the war ended and they came home to family life many found it hard to adjust. They found it difficult to show their feelings and many wives and children would feel unloved because of this even though the parent/spouse would really love them. My Father-In-Law was blown up twice, once on land and once at sea, and he found it difficult to adjust when he came home from the war. His hearing and sight were impaired but he still managed to find work. You state that you are introvert, untrusting, weedy and shy, I'd never have thought this from reading your posts, which I've always enjoyed and getting 230 Likes from 285 posts show that others enjoy your posts also. Your humiliation at the Skegness boys holiday camp (or Hell) wouldn't have helped you any, would it. The good thing about being a Member of Nottstalgia is that you can come on here, be yourself, and be accepted for who you are. I'm sure that many others, like myself, hope that you'll stay with us and keep sending in your posts. :)

• Upvote 3

My folks were not bad, I just did not gell with them, I was the black sheep, they made me attend a school I hated because of their snobbery, chose my first job which I hated, made me wear old fashioned clothes and vetted my mates, especially blokes, were always critising me and putting me down...........Was a sign of the times I know, but nevertheless they were very controlling and strict.......I did leave home eventually and was not being spoken too, but I made my own way and have got on a lot better than the ones at home who were on their side, something which they all do not like......Incidently, we are all friends now and I looked after my parent's well before they passed away......That blood thicker than water is always there, no matter what........

• Upvote 5

I did not have a bad upbringing as such, my parent's never got on at all yet they had 6 children, the rows were bad, they did not show affection, were too strict and controlling - but we were not badly treated, well clothed and well fed, although money was tight as dad was injured at the pit and had to take a lower paid job, my mother used to knit, sew and alter clothes for us and could make a meal out of almost nothing, I was never cold or hungry.......I just did not gell, was to modern for them, there is always an odd one out an it was me.......I left home and did my own thing which was unheard of back then, but I did okay and eventually I think they felt a bit proud of me, I did make good, Men were in charge and women of their generation were just shattles and kept in their place, (my mother could not understand my manner and my dad who was the big man was appalled at my defiance and what he called arrogance) but their life was not for me....... We became close in the end and I looked after them when they became old and am close to my siblings........I gave my daughter all the freedom she wanted and always showered her with praise, love and affection............Born before my time is what I am trying to say...........

• Upvote 6

I always say that my generation was the first to be 'teenagers' with all the accompanying angst. My brother is 7 years older than me and he was never a 'teenager' - he just grew gradually from a child to an adult. It was all the hype from America and the advent of rock n roll that caused it I think. Teenagers generally became more rebellious than before, wanting more freedom earlier than previous generations. Clothes were marketed specifically for the teen market, instead of their just wearing smaller versions of their parents clothes and their language tried to be different, too. This is just my opinion - you all may think differently!

• Upvote 4

Blondie, two expressive posts, relating to you and your family, that show your rebellious nature in those difficult times. I'm pleased that it all ended happily for you and, if I may say this, you had the last laugh by doing so well with your life. :)

• Upvote 2