Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to hearing from people from my home town! I live in Torquay now - been here for 14 years but was born and bred in Nottingham. St. Anns until the slum clearance in 1961 and then Broxtowe Estate until 1969. After that it was Dunkirk, Bestwood, Lenton Abbey, Wollaton, Toton, Beeston and Colwick!! (phew!). Devon is lovely but I visit Nottingham often and love to hear the accent and the words I heard whilst I was growing up. Someone once said 'you can take the girl out of Nottingham, but you can't take Nottingham out of the girl'!! Anyway, just wondering - did anybody ever make 'galleys' when they were kids? It was our word for catapults but can't find any mention of the word anywhere???? Be interested to know if anyone else used it??? Tek care me ducks!!

• Upvote 1

Never heard of that term, we always called them catapults..

Yes, we referred to them as galleys. Find a nice fork in a branch, cut it to the right dimensions. Cut up an old inner tube and a bit of old leather and you were ready to inflict mayhem, ;)

Yes, we referred to them as galleys. Find a nice fork in a branch, cut it to the right dimensions. Cut up an old inner tube and a bit of old leather and you were ready to inflict mayhem, ;)

We had posh ones...made out the hedgerow, but 1/4 inch square rubber from the bike shop.

yes gallies it was made my first one from 2 pegs and elatic and electrical tape, i would have been about 6 then went on to twigs branches ect by the time i was about 10 i would borrow my elder brothers made with thick wire rubber and leather. never much good with it though ,also made guns from pegs bows and arrows from the willow trees on the muck hills great games of cowboys and indians

What a lovely warm welcome. Thanks so much to everybody! Good to know other people had their 'galleys'! I grew up with four younger brothers so was pretty much 'one of the lads' - making galleys, trolleys (hunting all over for the wheels), climbing lamp-posts etc!! Anybody on this forum live in Torquay now?

• Upvote 1

What a lovely warm welcome. Thanks so much to everybody! Good to know other people had their 'galleys'! I grew up with four younger brothers so was pretty much 'one of the lads' - making galleys, trolleys (hunting all over for the wheels), climbing lamp-posts etc!! Anybody on this forum live in Torquay now?

I might be nearest - Dawlish.

I remember gallys I would get my elastic from the fishing tackle shop on the corner of west street and furlong street Arnold