What is the first soap you can recall on Radio.

What is the first soap you can remember on TV.

My recollection of first soap on the Radio is Mrs Dale's Diary I used to get home from school about 4 30 and the only words I heard from mum was be quite Mrs Dale's Diary's on.

My first TV soap that I recall used to be on at 4 45 Saturday tea time "The Grove Family"

Can any member recall early ones?

mary1947

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The man who installed my windows.

i have always enjoyed CORONATION ST until recently,its become too much like EASTENDERS and EMMERDALE has gone the same way,perhaps its symbolic of the way Britain has gone,pushing multi cultures and g

Don't watch soaps: really bores me sitting down at a certain time to watch the box - unless there's a good film, documentary, drama on.

Just recalled another one The Appleyards

I remember "The Newcomers" starting and finishing ! (The whole series not the actual time of the programme)

Radio was Mrs Dales Diary, and listen with Mother (And Womans hour always seemed to be on!)

We listened to the omnibus edition of the Archers on Sunday mornings too, caught up with the whole week that way. I remember Mrs Dale's Diary, but can't remember listening to it. First TV soap must have been Coronation Street, anything before that, not sure it was called a soap, just a serial.

Wasn't Crossroads a tad before Coronation Street??? Emergency Ward Ten would have to be the first UK TV soapy..

Just looked them up, EW10 1957

C/St 1960

C/Roads 1964.

AND, Don't forget Dixon of Dock Green, didn't that make the crossover from radio to TV??

AND, Don't forget Dixon of Dock Green, didn't that make the crossover from radio to TV??

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was ever on the radio before or after TV. The main character, PC George Dixon, featured in the late 1940s film 'The Blue Lamp'. He was actually shot and killed in that film, but I think because the character as played by Jack Warner was so popular he was 'resurrected' for the TV series.

The Archers on a Sunday morning while having pork pie for breakfast. Apart from Uncle Mac on Saturday mornings that was all I ever used to listen to on the radio in those days.

I perhaps ought to mention Sunday mornings is STILL The Archers and pork pie for me over 55 years later. Sadly no more Uncle Mac though - or even Ed Stewart. Kids today are missing out on all those good old songs.

I remember back in the early 1980's my brothers an I had to put up with the most irritating combination ever to hit the Nottingham airwaves ie. Dennis Mcarthy and his equally annoying daughter Tara for the BBC Radio NNottingham Sunday morrning swapshop and giveaway show. aaaargh

Did you mean the Film series?

Source; Wihipedia

Glad to see that you all have good memory's for you ages even I forgot one or two that were mentioned.

Mary1947 :jumping:

I remember back in the early 1980's my brothers an I had to put up with the most irritating combination ever to hit the Nottingham airwaves ie. Dennis Mcarthy and his equally annoying daughter Tara for the BBC Radio NNottingham Sunday morrning swapshop and giveaway show. aaaargh

'Dennis, Digger and Tara ensure fast and furious fun'

Well that's what it used to say in the Radio Times

I remember 'The Newcomers' - featuring a young Wendy Richard.

I think the main character was played by Maggie Fitzgibbon.

As regards radio 'soaps', I used to enjoy Kenny Everett's characters like Gran & Crisp and also Captain Kremmen.

Apparently he used to do the voice for Gran while the records were playing - and then he'd talk to what he'd just recorded on tape!

Captain Kremmen was a bit near the knuckle sometimes. I once heard him say 'Oh yes I'm a country member.....or do I remember' (!)

Dennis Mcarthy enjoyed somewhat legendary status on Radio Nottingham. Don't know why, he seemed a fairly average broadcaster to me.

Anyone ever go to the BBC Radio Nottingham open days at York House?

I went a few times - won a record in a competition ('In The Year 2525' by WhichWhat).

Remember Eddie Gray ? He used to play lots of Pirate Radio jingles throughout his shows.

Funnily enough I am just reading the autobiography of Frank Muir who along with Dennis Norden wrote lots of the scripts for the various post war BBC radio series.

He had written scripts for Vic Oliver in a show called Olivers Twists and then a series called Navy Mixture starring Jimmy Edwards, Joy Nichols and Dick Bentley . Jimmy Edwards of course later starred as the headmaster with dubious qualifications in Whack-O.

The first real hit show Muir and Norden wrote though was Take It From Here which was a satirical sketch type show and again featured Jimmy Edwards , Joy Nichols and Dick Bentley. Alma Cogan did the musical spots . When Joy Nichols left and they hunted for a replacement , Prunella Scales was set to replace her but was pipped by June Whitfield .

At the time Meet The Huggets mentioned above was very popular on radio and as sort of parody the Glums were introduced to Take It From Here as a one off sketch. June Whitfields Oooooooooo Ron (as Eth ) was an instant hit . Alma Cogan played Ma Glum , Dick Bentley played the dim Ron and who would always , after a pause answer Ooooooo Ron with "Yes Eth".

Ah. Well I've got a bigger anorak than you Cliff !

'Whichwhat' were a Nottingham group who brought out their own version of the Zager and Evans hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c53Nwc1Nq8o

It was on the Beacon record label 1969 and is actually a good version of the song.

So put that in yer pipe and smok it youth !

Learned something new. Never heard of Whichwhat before, or if I did I don't remember them, so I've just spent ten minutes working through their stuff on Youtube.

Anyway, it's too hot for anoraks today.