Minnie, Martha and Ena. Loved a glass of Milk Stout in The Snug at The Rovers Return in the 1960s. Not quite as Glamerous as the Ladies in the pub today. But no one messed with that there Ena, with her hairnet on!

My favourites today are Holby City, Casualty, Corrie, East Enders. Mind you. I wouldn't like to live in Albert Square. One minute they love you and the next they want to kill you. Not the most reliable friends and neighbours. Thank Goodness it's only pretend?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The man who installed my windows.

i have always enjoyed CORONATION ST until recently,its become too much like EASTENDERS and EMMERDALE has gone the same way,perhaps its symbolic of the way Britain has gone,pushing multi cultures and g

Don't watch soaps: really bores me sitting down at a certain time to watch the box - unless there's a good film, documentary, drama on.

My wife watches all the soaps plus Holby and Casualty . Most I can tolerate but like TBI said , Eastenders just seems to be people shouting at each other .

Either that or they say "I know what , we'll ave a party down the Vic" ! ......."A good ole knees-up" Strike a light , gor blimey etc....

Emmerdale seems to be a lot of identical looking young men all with 5 o clock shadow , planning robberies or beating each other up .I have no idea who is related to who .

Don't know if anyone watched the Royale Family Xmas special but we thought the neighbours Irish date looked like Concepta Hewitt who used to be in Corrie decades ago .

• Upvote 1

I've always thought of soaps as being a sort of charity for aged, deprived actors, or those looking for work who could find nothing else. I enjoyed the American comedy series 'Soap' though.

• 5 months later...

One soap not mentioned is Brookside this to me was one of the best soaps but for some reason channel 4 gave it the boot.

Now how about USA soaps

Mash! ER! Hill street blues

Can any of you remember any others?

The other night i noticed only 2 members posted whilst 'corrie' was on,Michael Booth and Mercurydancer) makes you wonder about all those who say they don't watch it,........... :biggrin:.....just a thought.........you could have been doing summat else.

I don't watch it.................but int' Tracey a bugger.

• Upvote 3

I remember at school we were asked which television programmes we watched. The more savvy pupils said news programmes, informative programmes etc, perish the thought they watched anything else. They knew what 'sold'.

I remember my mum used to put Coronation Street on in the early days when Lucille Hewitt was one of the young characters. It was never the same after she was written out. I stopped watching it. I would watch Emmerdale Farm in the early days. It was filmed in the area where my mum grew up. The Woolpack was the Commercial at Esholt, one of her "locals" when she was young. I took her to Yorkshire for short breaks in 1987 and 1988. We spent most of a morinig at Otley (Hotton) market watching the film crew and stunt man filming a stunt where he had to fall through the roof of the market. I took lots of photos and she enjoyed showing them to her friends when we got home. On the day that Andy married Fergie we were avoiding the royal wedding and visiting the tourist places. The Commercial at Esholt was empty! A nice quiet drink with n o coach parties!

I do not watch any soaps now. Detective programmes are more interesting!

Gideon's Way starring John Gregson is being rerun on the TV down here. One hour episodes in black and white of a classic British detective series. It is worth watching just to see the cars of that era once again.

• 1 year later...

I reckon that Doctor in Emmerdale is in for for a good kick-in when Kane gets his hands on him..............not that i watch it............lol.

I remember Mrs Dales Diary. "I'm a bit worried about Jim." My grandma used to listen to it every day 4 -4:15 p.m. Sounded like a toffee nosed bunch. Lol. It was definitely the Light program though. Third program was mostly classical music.

I hope Cain sorts out the Doc. He's at his very best when he's threatening and impulsive.

I hope Jason does leave Corrie, he's got the personality of a paving slab.

No, I don't watch them either.......

• Upvote 1

Just looked thru this thread and noticed nobody mentioned the 'Grove Family' i recall it from the 50s,......the only actor i remember from it was Ruth Dunning,..............anyone else remember it or her ?

edit...........just googled it,and its said to be oldest tv soap,ran from 54 to 57..........

• Upvote 1

I can only remember Grandma Grove..... I remember that my mum used to find her funny

Yes, yes, yes, I remember her saying that - and my mum quoting her!!

Thinking about it again.... It was 'fain' from lack o' nourishment'

• Upvote 1