Arthur Street Netherfield

Does any one know at what time and why houses were demolished at the far end of Arthur Street,as i have traced my ancestors to no 45,on the 1901 census,and when i came to Notts i discovered the house number 45 gone,i know in 1911 they had moved to Marhill Road,but i don't know what happened in between,If i can find out what happened i will know why and when they moved, Was it to do with Railway as i believe he and many neighbors worked on the railway at some time.If any one has any details on the demolition of these houses it would help me put dates on my census information.Thankyou.

Mick2me

On the 1911 census,it states no 21 Marhill Road,That is a definate,but when i get time,i will look through my tree because i have a feeling that there might be some already living on that road,i will spend sometime today looking at the census and my records just in case this family moved in with relations already there.

Does any one know at what time and why houses were demolished at the far end of Arthur Street,as i have traced my ancestors to no 45,on the 1901 census,and when i came to Notts i discovered the house number 45 gone

Looking at a few old maps, it was still there at least until the 1930s

art1.jpg

I don't think it was demolished due to any railway expansion because that was all fixed by the end of the 19th century, and nothing has been built its place. As a random guess, maybe it was demolished during the war due to bomb damage?

art2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the map,and idea about the bomb damage,though that would have happened after my ancestors had moved to Marhill,I thought there may have been more relo's there,but it looks like just no 21,At one stage 1901 there were two generations living on Windmill Lane gt gt gt and gt gt grandparents, and on Arthur St Netherfield there was gt and granddad who was aged 7,Lots of us about :huh: Thanks for your help.

Looking at Arthur Street on Google Street View, and comparing it to Cliff's map. it looks like the whole terrace was removed (43 is clearly the detached house on the map with the open space on one side and a narrow alley on the other).

Perhaps the builders at number 43 (used to be E.Wheat & Sons according to the sign on street view), bought the block to enlarge their yard and provide better access?

I just had a look on Google Earth and it looks like railway track running very close to the houses,he worked on the railway in 1901 but then at Marhill he worked as a Setter and drawer brick(that is the way it is printed on the census)he may have moved his young family away from the noise,or perhaps lost his job and house with it.but it must be a very noisy place to live..

i carnt remember that gap on the map in the 50s early sixties my friend sue lived down that end of arthur st the green field behind is jackie bells field and as far as i can remember the houses ran all the way down the st i know there were a couple of bombs hit netherfield buti thought they were nearer the chandos st end . dont think i ever remember mum or dad or elder brothe and sisters talking about a bomb on arthur st as it was very close to were we lived only about 100 yards as far as i know ethel grove were we lived were the first houses to be demolished in 1963.

Mick2me #9

At the top of Carlton Hill some where there is a Comery Road or Ave,And on one of the topics,it was discovered that there was a building partnership with one of the partners being a Mr Comery,so that might be the family connection,he either worked for the builder or was him.Perhaps they used Marhill Bricks on Comery Road.

carnie i went to school with a pearl carnel who lived on the second terrace near the railway offices she had a brother paul are they related to you by any chance.

I don't recognize the names as being close relatives,but there was such a lot of branches in the Comery Tree in the late 1800s,if they are Comery's they are bound to be from one of the many ancestors,There are so many with the same Christian names,it has got to confusing for me.I have had to stop researching my tree for a while.

Carni

Interesting to hear you have the name Comery in your family! An older cousin, who knew my Grandad much better than I did, as I was only 9 when he died, told me his best friend's name was Bill Comery. Don't know any more about him, although as my Grandad was born in 1887, perhaps he was around the same age? My Grandad always lived in Radford and Basford, though, and he was a Plasterers labourer. Do you have anyone who might be Bill?!

Hi annswabey, There was a William Comery in one of the branches of my tree in the late 1800s,Though Comery isn't a common name ,there were so many in mainly Carlton and Sneinton,My gt gt gt granddad originated from Thurgaton in around 1820,but ended up in Carlton,there the family starts to grow rapidly,all over the area,so many Georges,I believe That the William in my tree would be from around late 1800s ,He may have been nicknamed bill I will get on my tree and get back to you.Thank you for your interest.

annswabey

Hi, i have just been on ancestry.com,on the census forms,I have got Williams going right back to mid 1800s,the name just runs through the family tree,on 1901census there is a William and wife Naomi, If i have got it right this one is the son of George and Mary who are my gt gt gt grand parents, living in Carlton, and also one with wife Annie,they lived at Shardlow, That is just two,there are so many people in my tree all naming each other after each other,it is to complicated for me.I need an expert to sort them out :unsure:

Thanks. I've looked at the census and haven't found a Bill who seems to fit - i.e. not living in the right sort of area. I know what you mean about the names - I've got plenty of Williams, Edwards, Marys and Elizabeths. Not very original, were they?!

• 2 years later...

HI there,

In January my nana passed away. we have long known most of her details except who her father was as she didn't know either. I sent away last month for a copy of her birth certificate and it arrived today. alas there was no father on it. It did however have the address of her mum living and giving birth at 25 arthur street netherfield. I was googling the address and well...hmmm I am. no closer to the history of that address and no closer to finding her father. As I am in Australia I do not know how to find out what was at the address in 1922. Appreciate any help please...and thank you xx

You've come here just at the right time. :cool:

To find out who was living at an address in 1922 you need to look at the electoral registers which are held at Nottinghamshire Archives, which is obviously not easy for you !

However, I was planning to go there in the next few days for various reasons, so I'll have a look at 25 Arthur Street and see what comes up.

Cliff Ton /Russnic , just looking on the 1911 Census there only appears to be one possible Doris Bennett who is born 1901 and living with family headed by William Samuel Bennett. (Of course it's entirely possible that another Doris just wandered into the district )

Their address in 1911 is given as Kenrick Villa ,Second Ave, Carlton though all born Main St Carlton .

Also at that address is an aunt called Lucy Ann Batty who is described as a "Sick nurse" . Could she be the one living at Arthur Street and Doris went there to have the baby ?