Bill Smarts Circus Back On Tour

Last week I was in Wales, where much to my suprise I saw the Big Top of Billy Smarts Circus. a name I had not seen since I was a young kid.

I last saw the show in the mid 50's at Bingley Hall, Birmingham. Main spectacular was a girl in a huge glass tank, with a Crocodile or alligator

1971 Final tour of Billy Smart’s Touring Circus, last performance at Clapham Common in November.

It's now back after more than 30 years off the road. No animals now though.

billy-smart.jpg

www.billy-smarts-circus.co.uk

The Forest recreation ground was regular host for the big top. I remember sitting way up at the back looking down on the acts, all exciting stuff!

its nice that animals are no longer being used, but I wonder if it will still be as popular without ? .. wouldn't say so myself!

besides ... it all seemed to go downhill after Burt Lancaster perfected that long awaited 'triple' ! :D

ilko..

They did a similar type of thing at Alton towers, whereby you entered a dome like construction and the film completely wrapped around you, even above your head. I remember ducking when I was about to be trampled by a circus elephant.

the American Aventure also had some sort of display whereby you were flying in an aircraft or riding a rollercoaster etc. the effect was very realistic as your stomach churned at every swoop and dive.

shame they never converted 'Saturday night and Sunday morning' the film shot in and around Nottingham. it would have been nice to jump off a trolleybus again as it sped down Derby road, or to visit the old goose fair as it was back in the 60s etc.

apparently this film is now available on DVD - I'll have to do a source! :P

ilko..

• 5 years later...

Last week I was in Wales, where much to my suprise I saw the Big Top of Billy Smarts Circus. a name I had not seen since I was a young kid.

I last saw the show in the mid 50's at Bingley Hall, Birmingham. Main spectacular was a girl in a huge glass tank, with a Crocodile or alligator

1971 Final tour of Billy Smart’s Touring Circus, last performance at Clapham Common in November.

It's now back after more than 30 years off the road. No animals now though.

billy-smart.jpg

www.billy-smarts-circus.co.uk

in 1969 or may ave been 1970 nottingham 41 mcc took a bus load of notts police orphans and children from another orphanage to billy smarts circus there was a big photo in the evening post at the time along with the write up .this was arrange by members of 41 club and billy smarts circur p.r.o. john i went out with him for about 3 weeksi also went out with the trapeeze artist chris a few times so i saw that circus a few times that year and got to meet quite a few of there artist.people complained about animals in the circus but they were realy well cared for and the training was done with love and care this is why they responded so well to the trainers.

My mam used to take me to Gregory Boulevard when the circus came to town. The circus train would come to one of the stations [can't remember if it was Victoria, but being the closest to the Forest, it would make sense] and the elephants would walk up Mansfield Rd from the station to the Forest. I remember having to jump on a running board of a parked car as the elephants feet were a bit too close to us.