Sounds daunting doesn't it!

But it starts on Saturday, Nottingham Station shuts for six weeks for complete remodelling, no trains, all replaced by buses.

Passengers for Leicester and London have to go by bus to East Midlands Parkway

Trains from Derby are turning back at Beeston

Buses all the way to Mansfield and Worksop, also Newark and Grantham.

In fact they say fourty buses an hour will be leaving from Station Street.

They've been planning it for months and apparently it all works fine, on paper.......!

we will wait and see a lot of things look good on paper but all goes wrong when its put in practice my friend was at the station last week waiting for her brother who was comming from australia for a holiday due to signal problems every one had to be bused in and out of nottingham she waited over 3 hours

They "rationalised" the layout several years ago. The result was a dog's dinner that we have been living with ever since. The usual thing is waiting at the signal at Wilford Road for a platform to become free - missed connections from Derby direction to Lincoln/Grantham lines etc.

I totally agree that six weeks virtual shut down (I beliieve there is a limited service eastwards to Lincoln/Grantham routes for part of the time) is a nightmare, but I suspect the alternative would have been a much longer period of utter disruption - probably several months - with passengers arriving and departing from a live building site at platform level.

Im booked on an east midlands train 19 august London to Nottingham looks like it involves a 20 minute bus ride into the Downtown area?

The train from London will take you as far as East Midlands Parkway station. From there, according to the booklet, it's a 40 minute bus ride into Nottingham.

The bus journey from East Midlands Parkway, can easyily take an hour, as they are working on tha A453 as well as work on the tram in the Meadows area. It should be interesting to see the chaos on Station street with that amount of buses moving about.

Car drivers can't access Station street from London road now, you have to travel along Canal street and turn left before the crown court. The council already have a camera set up at the junction of London road to catch anyone that turns into Station street, it should make them a few quid.

On a slightly different subject did anyone see the proposals, to stop cars travelling along Canal street and Collins street. The proposed new route would be Down Maid Marian way, and onto Wilford street, and then down past the station onto London road.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Council-bidding-pound-11m-fund-project/story-19511777-detail/story.html

On a slightly different subject did anyone see the proposals, to stop cars travelling along Canal street and Collins street. The proposed new route would be Down Maid Marian way, and onto Wilford street, and then down past the station onto London road.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Council-bidding-pound-11m-fund-project/story-19511777-detail/story.html

Which is all very well, but how do those who use an office car park on Canal Street, get there if the road is blocked? Or the public car parks at Broadmarsh, Arndale, Canal Street, and Fletcher Gate?

The closure will be a pain for rail users but I don't see how else they can do it.

I wonder why they didn't think to use Beeston station instead.

I agree with taxi ray, I think there will be chaos on Station Street because when you come down the steps from the middle station footbridge, the pavement isn't very wide at that point. Also the fact that many train travellers nowadays have so much luggage, you'd think they were moving house!

Given the fact that the buses will be spread out along Station St. from the Granby to Jury's Inn, I think there'll be a lot of confused passengers!

Although you can't access Station Street from London Road, you can go via Canal Street then Trent Street onto Station Street - at least until the council block that off, too.

Operationally, Beeston shouldn't be difficult since the trains would all be terminating there, and not getting in the way of anything else - possible to run forward towards Nottingham, then cross over and run back into the westbound platform for the return journey. I suspect it's more to do with access for the buses at Beeston. In addition it's not up to standard for disabled access with no ramped access to the westbound platform, only steps.